Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2009, 11:52 AM   #31

I can't believe I just read that Rolling Eyes

Then how about believing this:

I recently cut apart a pair of 1 year old Monroe "gas" struts (I needed the bottom brackets for a project). Guess what? NO GAS! (or positive pressure OF ANY KIND) In fact the oil within the struts was water contaminated. So yes, I figure this "gas" thing is BS, and has been right from the very beginning.

Something else to ponder:

KYB "gas" struts for my Subaru are $52 each. If I buy Gabriel "gas" struts for the same Subaru I get KYB struts in a Gabriel box for $27. Convince me that there is honesty in the parts business (especially the shock business).

Old 11-03-2009, 01:33 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveeen
I can't believe I just read that Rolling Eyes

Then how about believing this:

I recently cut apart a pair of 1 year old Monroe "gas" struts (I needed the bottom brackets for a project). Guess what? NO GAS! (or positive pressure OF ANY KIND) In fact the oil within the struts was water contaminated. So yes, I figure this "gas" thing is BS, and has been right from the very beginning.
Well it sounds like if there was water in the oil then obviously the shock was bad which caused the gas to leak out and moisture to get in.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:00 PM   #33

Guys lets keep it civil.

Reveen, we are going to need more info on this "project" in a new thread.

Allen

Old 11-03-2009, 03:02 PM   #34

My UPS tracking tells me my shocks, carb and cdi will arrive today. I will let everyone know what color springs arrive.

I have to say I would be frustrated buying parts which were clearly defective on arrival and got hit was a $30 fee. I don't mind paying for shipping on replacement items, but shipping to me is $9. I'd burn that in gas going to pick them up, so whatever...

Old 11-03-2009, 11:09 PM   #35

Hi guys.

Shocks arrived and they are black spring on gold metal like the new photos.

I will advise on pressure soon then I have a chance to check.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:12 PM   #36

Thanks for the update. Hopefully you can't unscrew the valve by hand like mine.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:44 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
Thanks for the update. Hopefully you can't unscrew the valve by hand like mine.
I stuck a digital psi gauge on them just now, the gauge didn't seem to fit properly but they only reg 20psi each.. give or take some. So they aren't fully loaded but still have some pressure in them.

Not sure if they'll hold much more. Will find out soon enough.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:24 AM   #38

Remember checking the pressure on these is hard as they say 100psi min and normal is 225-250psi on the gio website, most of those digital guages goto 99psi and the highest one i could find at canadian tire went to 150psi, my friend with the shock rebuilding tools has a high pressure guage and that is what i've been using.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:13 AM   #39

I did not mention that before but it is hard to get the guage and fill nozzle to set nicely on the schrader.

If John decides to handle this issue properly I will hope to replace that valve with a standard size.

John has admitted to 'some others' with problems but has not offered replacement shocks so far.

Waynev ..have you not been in contact with him?

waynec

Old 11-04-2009, 11:56 AM   #40

Yes, waynec i have i think he said $30us too, but i told him that i was going to look at them first, in that process i saved one of them so i only need 1 replacement, i e-mailed that to him and haven't heard back yet on the replacement of 1 shock. Since the last pair that was recieved by TurboT had black springs i really don't want one red one black, so i'll have to talk to john about that.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:22 PM   #41

Well i got my performance rear shock today and...............to my surprize....... it holds pressure, yeah ! !.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev
Well i got my performance rear shock today and...............to my surprize....... it holds pressure, yeah ! !.
Did it come with 250psi in it???

Old 11-04-2009, 05:15 PM   #43

Nope, there was hardly anything, but here's the way i look at, if i buy a car, bike, atv or even a wheelbarrow i always set the air pressures before i use them so why would i just throw on a pair of shocks without checking the pressure? and hence i found the first pair to leak like crazy.
I don't think i'd be able to use my wheelbarrow if it leaked like the shocks did, but it' would be more noticeable on the wheelbarrow, if you don't check the shock pressure then for all we know there is lots of users running with no pressure to control the compression of the shock and the blog on gio website says running less than 100psi can destroy the shock and me being anal i had to check.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:33 PM   #44

I disagree that its anal to check this. Should be sop to verify the pressure is where it is recommended.
My rear shock will also be along soon....I told you we were on the same bid a few times.....and I hope its a good one.
What is your take on the valve size? Metric...or poor manufacture maybe. waynec

Old 11-04-2009, 05:34 PM   #45

Mate that's all fair enough. I was just wondering how much pressure it will hold, since mine have air pressure just not enough. I'll be the first to admit, if I hadn't read this thread I would've stuck mine on and run with them without bothering to check, and I think many do.

I was on Facebook and saw a guy who had mentioned buying them, and asked him if he checked the pressure, and he responded as I expected with the 'No, just stuck them on.."

...I wonder how long before the blog with the pressure info on the Gio site stays up. 8O