Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2009, 02:54 PM   #31

Your comment on American publicly held companies management is so accurate I worry about you being a CEO.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:45 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWorld
Your comment on American publicly held companies management is so accurate I worry about you being a CEO.
It took me a long time to realize there are much more important things in this life than money.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:11 AM   #33

Sorry for no updates yet, no time to finish this up til Saturday. I'll be darned if I even touch a rake until this bike is done

Old 10-15-2009, 08:16 AM   #34

Hey I got a wife for that raking thing. Oh and she does other things also!!!

Old 10-15-2009, 03:17 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWorld
Hey I got a wife for that raking thing. Oh and she does other things also!!!
Heh.....yeah, I remember those days too....I'm seperated, but we are both still under the same roof...yup, its as fun as it sounds, but of course like everything else there is a story behind it.

Hey, it could be worse (just let me think for awhile)...

Pete

Old 10-15-2009, 08:01 PM   #36

Pete your signature is priceless.

I don't know how you keep the wheel down on the 450 though. 8O My 250 is hairy enough.

...just love the empty wallet comment though.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:14 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Pete your signature is priceless.

I don't know how you keep the wheel down on the 450 though. 8O My 250 is hairy enough.

...just love the empty wallet comment though.
The wheel cant be kept down. I will be selling it via my usual procedure, buy hi, sell low, take a loss . I just finally wanted the best you know? Give it a try. The thing is light years beyond me and in fact I paid a racer to set it all up for me...it has far too many adjustments for me to ever get right. I dont even know if that steering damper thing works well or not because you have to be extremely careful on that machine. Brutal is the word. But....but...the noise that thing makes screaming down the straights has be heard...it really does. Cops show up if I ride it around the block more than once.

The 150R is tamer but the same thing.

As for the empty wallet I could probably have put 1958-2009 instead . I do my RRSP crap and stuff, but I suck with money. Always have. No self restraint...so...the way I get around it is lock myself in to a certain level of debt and pay it off.
If I had an extra 5 bills a week then I'd end up peeing it away....this way I at least have something to show for it.

Different strokes....etc.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:23 PM   #38

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...al-cafe-racer/

Old 10-16-2009, 12:55 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveeen
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2009/08/27/cb450r-cafe-racer-kits-convert-honda-crf450r-dirt-bike-to-street-legal-cafe-racer/
Thank you for the link, very nice.

I believe from reading your posts you are old enough to remember the 73 Kawi 900.

I purchased one in 1978 at the age of 20. I was T-boned in broad daylight by a completely sober driver who "did not see" me.

My right leg was destroyed. Multiple compound fractures. I still have veins in my lower leg the size of airline hose.

Nothing on this planet would motivate me to ever ride the street again.

Off topic: Yes, the bike really did do 140. Please remember I was 20 and stupid.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:23 PM   #40

you are old enough to remember the 73 Kawi 900

I used to own (and successfully hang on to) a Rickman framed H2, so, yes, I am old enough. I blew through the side of a Dodge window van on a Norton Commando and walked away.

Nothing on this planet would motivate me to ever ride the street again.

After many years rest I find myself liking small, light, low displacement motorcycles that I can ride @ the pin, scaring myself silly, but not able to hurt myself (too badly).

Old 10-16-2009, 01:53 PM   #41

My memory is foggy, but for a short while I had a Norton as well...I think it was a 650, did they make a 650 Commando? I dont remember.

I never had it on the street, just rode it around the farm I was living on at the time.

The DTR on bikes helped a lot, but I still think motorists dont "see" bikes like they see cars and trucks.

In thier brains they are looking for a car or truck coming down the road and bikes dont register.

Of course my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it

Glad you still enjoy riding on the street, as we both know it can be very, very rewarding.

EDIT: I know we cant live our lives in a constant state of fear for the "what if" factor...but imagine a chunk of glass had of sliced your femoral open as you were going through...18 seconds later you are gone. You might have enough time left to stand up and go "HA! nothing broken" then just fall over.

I have rolled a 70 Chevelle 396 at 100+ and came out with a headache...drove in to a tree with a Pinto at 35 and had half my face rebuilt...cheek..orbital...nose flattened on left cheek. etc.

Funny how life works.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:24 PM   #42

MIKUNI CARB UPDATE

The performance Mikuni comes with no choke return spring or choke cable bracket arm.

I have read others and they say you must use the Mikuni manually.

Not So.

I have just swapped the return spring and bracket arm to the Mikuni from the stocker. You CANNOT use the stock black plastic choke lever, however the Mikuni lever has a flat area on the back for the spring to locate on.

It takes a little fooling around, but not much.

I now have the performance Mikuni on and the choke lever on the bars works just like it did with the stock carb.

Cheers!

Pete

Old 10-16-2009, 06:33 PM   #43

I just purchased an ENERGIZER 16-B battery for 80 bucks CAN at Wallymart.

Yep, its too big for the box, but not by much, maybe 1/2" each end (length) and 3/4" width total. Little deeper to, but lots of room there.

So why did I buy a battery that wont fit?

The winch.

16-B I think is 19AH as opposed to the 9 I have in there now.

I am going to mold a box from reinforced fiberglass directly around the battery, remove it, and install it in the bike. The existing battery box can be at least 2" deeper before it hits the frame, length is tight before it hits the plastic body on each side, and width is no issue.

We'll see how it works out.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:56 AM   #44

Pete, you're the king. 8) Thanks for closing the loop on the choke question.

Do you have a welder? You could fabricate a steel battery box instead of fiberglass; I'm not sold on the durability of 'glass on a quad.

BTW, my Dad had a '73 Kawi 900 that we dumped in a traffic circle when I was just a lad. Loved that bike.

I remember a 750 and 850 Commando, but not a 650.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-17-2009, 05:05 AM   #45

Weldangrind...me?...nope...I figure I'm 20% where you are at...the more I go back and read your stuff, the more I realize I cant catch up to ya

I forget the last thing I read...you were looking over the bike or something and found a slightly loose connection, so you rewired the entire bike for fun...I know that wasnt it, but you know what I mean
I remember now..body work had gaps so you added spacers all round

Maybe it was not a Commando, but I would bet a cup of coffee it was a 650, but I could (likely) be wrong.

Welder, yes and no. If I drag the bike to work I have access to many welders, up to the size of a chest freezer, AND a guy who can weld.

My glass idea is not glass alone...I have two rolls of 3/4" X 1/16" muffler hanger flat wire. My plan is do the first layer with only glass, then "cage" the batt with the muffler hanger stuff and lay up a second coat on top. Like an internal frame.

For the top flanges I have some 1" X 1/4" aluminium strapping. Think 2 rails running down each side at the top. and possibly acrross the sides...think rectangle of aluminium around the top of the batt. Will mold them in the glass as well. I am going to have to cut out the exisiting box.

Funny enough, the 3 detents now work great on the Mikuni after I installed the choke arm. It sits nicely at half or full choke with use of the choke lever on the bars. The bracket from the old one is a must though or else no way to secure the cable.

Cheers!

Pete[/b]