Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2011, 04:23 PM   #1

I am such a dumb @@@.

Thursday,the GF and I went to pay some bills out of state.The trip is roughly 120 miles round trip.When we got there,I was pulling into a parking spot,and herd a loud bang under the front of my car.I checked it out and seen that one of the bushings wasn't exactly right.I blew it off and told the GF," that I would rebuild the front soon and everything would be good to get home."We finished up our business and drove the nearly 60 miles through the mountains to home.The car didn't seem to be having any major issues.I could tell the front end was out of alignment,but it didn't seem bad.I rechecked it when I got home.As I was moving the car,my GF yelled stop and told me to come look.Both front tires were shredded on the inside edges.I know the tires were fine a couple days before because I checked them and the air pressure.I hadn't put maybe 30 miles on the car,so I know the out of whack bushing is the cause.What makes all this even more painful,I am(or was) an ASE auto mechanic.I knew better,but didn't even listen to myself. :oops:

Cost incurred for this little lap of sanity is going to cost me $120 for parts,$420 for a set of tires,and $50 for a front end alignment.I can do everything but the alignment.I'm not complaining tho.I have 200,000 miles on the car after this trip.I have only done a few things to the car since it was new.I rebuilt the cooling system with new radiator at 130,000,new oil pump at 150,000,wheel bearing assemblies at 80,000 and 120,000(cheap parts the first time) and some where around 100,000 I replaced the belt tensioner.Other than that,It's been general service maintenance.

BTW the car is a 98 Chevrolet Cavalier built in Canada.I owned it since new and the car has been one of the best I have ever owned.I have had 32 vehicles over the years.It's the only rust free car I have owned.To this day,I have yet to find under body rust and I drive it through the winter.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:43 PM   #2

I've got an 97 sunfire I bought for $1500, (or maybe it was $1200, I don't remember), and all it's needed was spark plug wires and a clutch cylinder.

I've never bought tires, I didn't realize they would be that much for the little car, that's too bad. I guess it goes under the stuff happens file.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:30 PM   #3

You have piqued my curiosity. Which bushing caused that?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-24-2011, 05:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
You have piqued my curiosity. Which bushing caused that?
There are two on the lower control arm.The front one looks like a standard leaf spring style bushing and the rear one looks something like a hockey puck.Cost about $120 for both arms and outer tie rod ends.I priced bushings and having a local shop press them in.It is cheaper and a time saver to use my parts geek account to get the parts.maybe I can find a cupon code to help with cost.

It's bottom left bushing on this pic.This is the left side control arm.The same one that went out on my car.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:08 AM   #5

Gotcha. I don't think that those are very high durometer bushings, considering that GM doesn't want to compromise ride quality for the sake of bushing longevity. Hopefully the jobbers are stiffer, but not likely.

BTW, I bought a 12 ton press for $100.00, and it's my second favourite tool. Jobs that would otherwise be impossible are cake.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Gotcha. I don't think that those are very high durometer bushings, considering that GM doesn't want to compromise ride quality for the sake of bushing longevity. Hopefully the jobbers are stiffer, but not likely.

BTW, I bought a 12 ton press for $100.00, and it's my second favourite tool. Jobs that would otherwise be impossible are cake.
Those bushing are soft.I can get urethane bushing kit,but I think it will be to stiff.I did have full access to the shop I worked at but my friend had to close.In two years he did $6000 in business.If it weren't for friends and family,he would have lost everything trying to stay open.In 10 years I have only needed a shop press and grande total of three times .I am counting this time as the third.If I get into some other projects,I will buy one after I build my shop.That keeps getting pushed back.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:14 AM   #7

Finally.Got the car all squared away and back on the road tuesday afternoon.Picked up a new set of really crappy Geo Star tires for $390.Really wish I had pent the $450 for a good quality name brand tire.The alignment guy said everything went silky smooth thanks to the work I did to the front end of the car.He did point out that I have not one,but four bad struts.I knew the right front and right rear was going bad.So I called up my favorite parts guy and asked about struts.I only want complete assemblies because my spring compressor is packed away in storage.$180 each for the front and $120 each for the rear.WOW!Like to fell outta my chair.So I asked about the actual struts $120 each front and 90 each rear.Not enough savings to dig for 2 or 3 days to find my strut spring compressor.Looks like when I sell my bike,I'll have enough to repair my car and buy Barnone's Q if he still has it.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:17 AM   #8

Do you have a local parts place that will rent / loan you a spring compressor? Know anybody else with one? Seems a bummer to have to replace the whole deal.

As a reminder, it's a really good time to inspect the strut bearings (in the front) and bushings (at the back) for wear. I once had a Mercury Sable where the top rear bushings (where the shock portion passes through the top spring plate) was shaped like a large triangle. As you know, it's supposed to be a tight fit around the shock stem.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Do you have a local parts place that will rent / loan you a spring compressor? Know anybody else with one? Seems a bummer to have to replace the whole deal.

As a reminder, it's a really good time to inspect the strut bearings (in the front) and bushings (at the back) for wear. I once had a Mercury Sable where the top rear bushings (where the shock portion passes through the top spring plate) was shaped like a large triangle. As you know, it's supposed to be a tight fit around the shock stem.
I could rent or use a tool loan program.My springs have sagged.Yep,the strut bearings and bushings will be replaced.After totaling it all up,it looks like I would come out ahead to just buy the assemblies.They come with new springs,isolators,strut,bearing/bushings,and completely assembled.Plus it would cut down on down time.

One thing I don't get,well maybe I do,is the rear strut.It is classed as a coil over shock by some parts vendors.I guess it could be, considering that it doesn't mount to the spindle and/or rotate with the steering.When I was a mechanic,we classified a coil over shock as the spring being mounted on the shock itself.The rear coil overs on my car have the lower part of the spring mounted in the middle of the shock,and then the top of the spring and shock mount on a plate.Maybe the term is being used to loosely or maybe I didn't learn what a coil over shock is in auto mechanics school.Either way,it gets confusing talking to different parts people about it.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:21 AM   #10

Maybe the guy who wrote the description in the jobber parts catalogue isn't a mechanic. In my mind, your understanding of a strut vs. coil over is correct.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Maybe the guy who wrote the description in the jobber parts catalogue isn't a mechanic. In my mind, your understanding of a strut vs. coil over is correct.
Cool.Thanks.Now I don't feel like I'm so crazy,dazed,and confused.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #12

When I think of coil over I am thinking aftermarket racing.

My buick needs a set of struts too, but I really don't want to spend the money on it. 190K and just a back-up car.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
When I think of coil over I am thinking aftermarket racing.

My buick needs a set of struts too, but I really don't want to spend the money on it. 190K and just a back-up car.
I agree on the racing.If you ever think that the car may be driven for an extended period or on a trip,I'd do it.Some cars can be dangerous to drive with bad struts.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:17 PM   #14

They are not bad enough to be dangerous, just alittle noisey when its cold. Car is only used locally and rarely over 50mph.

Its a Buick. Suppose to float.