Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2016, 08:12 PM   #1

How do they register them?

I travel the south eastern mountains of Tennessee.I have noticed that side by sides and large Chinese dune buggies are registered,tagged, and driving on the roads,not highways.They have small motorcycle style plates instead of large automotive plates.I usually see a half dozen of them between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg,usually in the towns.They are usually sporting offroad truck tires, and have add on turn signals, along with full lighting.

I have the title, and remnants of a VW dune buggy, that was street legal back in the 90's.Those where actual cars cut up and made into tube style buggies.

How are they able to reg and tag these?

One of them I recognized.It used to be sold by BMI Karts and is 800cc,IIRC.I'd be very interested in have one street legal in TN.I have family in Chattanooga,TN.I make quite a few trips there through out the year.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:12 AM   #2

Some states allow street registering off-road and home-built machines as long as they meet some pretty basic requirements. Az is one of those and I've seen plenty of quads, sand rails, side by sides, etc. on the roads. Az is fairly laxed on the requirements except for a license plate light, apparently not having one is like pooping in a cop's donut box and he will cite you for it while ignoring the off-road only tires and all the other non-DOT compliant stuff. A buddy got pulled over for no plate light on his Banshee, I think he got an add-on for the horn not working, but it was just a "fix it" ticket, not a moving violation and no points on record. It has little sporty blinkers, performance exhaust, dirt tires, etc. Another friend got a license plate light stop in his RZR, again just a fix-it. Then he brought it to Ca. to go off-roading with us and got pulled over the moment a tire touched pavement.

Old 10-10-2016, 07:23 PM   #3

In Kansas you don't even need a tag on the county roads. Small towns usually require a yearly sticker along with proof of insurance. Not allowed on state or federal highways.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:10 PM   #4

Are you asking us about tagging your vw buggy ? There is a site called the Samba for vw stuff that you should have no trouble finding the info you require about your vw buggy .

Old 10-14-2016, 08:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce's View Post
Are you asking us about tagging your vw buggy ? There is a site called the Samba for vw stuff that you should have no trouble finding the info you require about your vw buggy .

I have no VW buggy.

The bigger 800cc Chinese knock offs are what I am talking about.Some states allow them to be reg'd and tagged for driving on the roads,but are not allowed to be driven on major highways and interstates.

Old 10-15-2016, 04:27 PM   #6

It is not uncommon to be at the convenience store and have a couple UTVs and ATVs parked outside. Most are farm use, but some people just use them as cars.