Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2020, 08:14 PM   #1

Amstar Nostalgia 49 in NJ

Hey all I am brand new to chinese motorcycles and motorcycles in general. I was looking at the Amstar Nostalgia 49 as a first bike because it’s only 50cc and semi-automatic which I think would make it an easier bike to learn on. I also only plan on using it to cruise around the shore town a frequent, and occasionally cruise around side streets and such. My question is- what is the Nostalgia 49 counted as in New Jersey? Is it a scooter, a moped, or is it a motorcycle? I’ve done some research, and from what I’ve seen it would most likely be a scooter because it is below 50cc but I’m not sure. If it’s considered a motorcycle, is it even possible to register it in New Jersey? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-20-2020, 12:24 AM   #2

In many states a moped meets the definition of what a moped nostalgically was defined as in the old days--a two-wheeled motorized vehicle that has pedals to help propel it. However, some states define a scooter as being a step through design (classic Vespa shape). Some states call step-through designed as well as pedal assisted motorized vehicles that are 49.9cc or less 'mopeds'. Your best bet is to go to NJ's DMV website, and put in 'definition of moped' and something should show up. I know that I can do that with California's and Arizona's DMV sites.

OK, took my own advice and found the following; this bike is NOT a moped per NJ definition:

"Define a MOPED In New Jersey, a motorized bicycle, or MOPED, is defined by law as a pedal bicycle with a helper motor that has a maximum piston displacement of less than 50 cubic centimeters, or no more than 1.5 brake horsepower, and is capable of a maximum speed of no more than 25 miles per hour on a flat surface. Motorized tricycles are not legal in New Jersey and cannot be operated on public roadways."

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/license/mopedman.pdf

It seems like the Nostalgia is defined as a motorcycle, but a 'low-speed motorcycle' which has easier licensing requirements:

"Low-speed motorcycles

Low-speed motorcycles are less than 50 cubic centimeters (cc) or have a 1.5 brake horsepower motor or less with a maximum speed no more than 35 miles per hour on a flat surface. Low-speed motorcycles may not be driven on any state toll road, limited-access highway or any public road with a posted speed limit greater than 35 miles per hour. Low-speed motorcycles must be titled, registered and insured. Basic auto license holders can operate a low-speed motorcycle without any endorsement or separate motorcycle license."

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/vehiclet...motorcycle.htm

I guess step-through scooters are considered 'low-speed motorcycles' in NY?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-20-2020, 10:57 AM   #3

Ahh okay thank you. If that’s the case, I think it would just make more sense to just get a motorcycle endorsement on my license and get something greater than 50cc if I would have to tag, title, and insure it anyway. I was also considering the boomcat 125 because it looks the exact same just with a different powerplant for this reason. I was planning on maybe swapping a lifan 125 semi auto onto the amstar in the future anyway when I out grow the 49cc motor. My only concern now is actually being able to register and insure a Chinese motorcycle in New Jersey.

Old 05-20-2020, 11:09 AM   #4

Call the Vader guru, Pete, of Kronik Racing if you are interested in the Boomcat. The company Baodiao, distributed by Boom in the US, manufacturers the Vaders and the Boomcat, and all are actually 50-state EPA/DOT certified in the US (rare in the US as most Chinese bikes are 49-state certified; Californians need not apply). I believe the Amstar is also 50 state legal as I recall seeing one at Kronik Racing when I lived in California until a few months ago.

The Boomcat is a good bike for speed in the 125cc class, since it sports 17/17" wheels vs. the little wheels all the Grom clones come with. The Boomcat is actually certified on the same EPA/DOT and CARB certificates as the Vader series of bikes, so if people have registered Vaders, you shouldn't have an issue with the Boomcat. I do know that NJ uses the EPA/DOT list to register bikes, although someone recently posted that they use a list from a few years back, but again, lurk around the Vader forums or post here in the 'Street' section and see if anyone has registered a Boom Vader in NJ. Generally, when someone jumps through all the red tape in their state and becomes the first one to register a particular brand/bike, it is much easier for others to follow. Hopefully, that is the case with a Boomcat.

www.kronikracing.com

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-20-2020, 04:39 PM   #5

Did some more digging and found that list you mentioned. Baodiao/Boom isn’t on there but like you said the list is a few years old now. I’ll check in with Kronik Racing and look for Vaders registered in New Jersey. Thanks for the help!