Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2017, 12:18 PM   #331

Terrain and my location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
Nice bike! Congratulations on buying a Hawk. By far the best bike for the money (Bang for the Buck) available at this time. In my opinion. Now to your question. A knobby rear tire always feels loosy-goosy above 45 mph, and even more on gravel. If you can't get relaxed with that tire, but want to retain off road capabilities, I suggest you look into buying a Pirelli MT 43 trials rear tire. You still can't ride like a road racer, but it will help with the goosy-loosy stuff. Get back to me on where you ride, what kind of terrain, what percentage is off-road and anything else you can think of. Maybe we can tailor that new bike better to your riding style, and where you live. I did notice in your photograph of your bike that the front forks appear to be too high in the triple clamps. The fork tubes should be very close to level with the top of the upper triple clamp. The setting that you have has changed the rake and trail, making the steering very sensitive. This may be the source of that loose rear end.
So now that I have fixed the forks like you said great stability and turning like I said in one of my previous posts! But now onto my location and terrain, so I live in Texas! And the most that I'm gonna be riding this bike on is the street! I'll hardly if any be doing any off road riding. So what kinda tires and size for front and back do you recommend?

Old 02-03-2017, 12:21 PM   #332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skurdy View Post
Thank you guys huge improvement! I can see the road at night now and I sit up a lot higher and it's way smoother and more comfortable positioning for my back and the turning is better I haven't tested high speed yet but I will tomorrow in daylight when I can see way better! Thank you it's a huge improvement now I need the sprockets, carb and exhaust system, chain, spark plug! OH AND GUYS!! Question for all, what chain (count) like how many links, for 15t front and 40t back like can I use the default chain! Or what chain and link thanks for input!
I like to upgrade the rear chain to a higher quality one. I reccomend UniBear chain. High quality and pre-stretched, and not expensive. I would buy 132 links, 2 extra master links, and cut it to fit. Then you have a little bit extra if you need to change gear ratios for off road use. I want to know how the bike handles on gravel roads since you put the forks in the correct position. It will still be a little loose, but hopefully better.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:37 PM   #333

Quote:
So now that I have fixed the forks like you said great stability and turning like I said in one of my previous posts! But now onto my location and terrain, so I live in Texas! And the most that I'm gonna be riding this bike on is the street! I'll hardly if any be doing any off road riding. So what kinda tires and size for front and back do you recommend?
Should be the same size as is on their now. Just read the numbers on the front and rear tire, and write them down. In the low priced line, Kenda is well thought of. I would change both tires right away, if you are not going to be riding off road. the numbers you are looking for will say something like 90-90-21 front and 100-90-18 rear. I will find the Kenda tire model name, and post it for you. Sincerely, ARH

Last edited by Ariel Red Hunter; 02-03-2017 at 12:38 PM. Reason: A miss spell

Old 02-03-2017, 12:46 PM   #334

The Kenda K270 or Shinko 244 would be good for this bike and supposedly last a good while.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:05 PM   #335

Quote:
Should be the same size as is on their now. Just read the numbers on the front and rear tire, and write them down. In the low priced line, Kenda is well thought of. I would change both tires right away, if you are not going to be riding off road. the numbers you are looking for will say something like 90-90-21 front and 100-90-18 rear. I will find the Kenda tire model name, and post it for you. Sincerely, ARH
So I like the Shinko 244 over the Kenda in my personal preference, looks more appropriate for my feel. Also I have a question when selecting the tire size I notice it was like front tire: 2.75 - 21, 3.00 - 21 what does his mean and what should I select? Thanks

Old 02-03-2017, 01:06 PM   #336

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTERLIMITS View Post
The Kenda K270 or Shinko 244 would be good for this bike and supposedly last a good while.
Thank you for this I like the Shinko 244!

Old 02-03-2017, 01:08 PM   #337

Quote:
I like to upgrade the rear chain to a higher quality one. I reccomend UniBear chain. High quality and pre-stretched, and not expensive. I would buy 132 links, 2 extra master links, and cut it to fit. Then you have a little bit extra if you need to change gear ratios for off road use. I want to know how the bike handles on gravel roads since you put the forks in the correct position. It will still be a little loose, but hopefully better.
Also I don't know any trials but I'll know where some serious loose gravel is and I nearly fell and never went back cause it leads to trails I'll try to record and show you!

Old 02-03-2017, 05:21 PM   #338

Quote:
i would try to wear the existing tires and chain out first but thats just me being cheap! my oem chain is doing great at almost 500 miles no adjusting yet. the tires must be a hard compound cause they are not wearing like i assumed they would either. i get a high speed wobble if i hit a small bump at 45mph and up. some have said its the tires but im thinking its the geometry. if the trail of the front end is tight it willl induce the wobble. its not bad and only last half a second but you feel it.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:28 PM   #339

also by having the forks pushed up in the trees like they shipped with that changed the trail of the front end even more. thats why it felt like you were on marbles.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:14 PM   #340

Quote:
So I like the Shinko 244 over the Kenda in my personal preference, looks more appropriate for my feel. Also I have a question when selecting the tire size I notice it was like front tire: 2.75 - 21, 3.00 - 21 what does his mean and what should I select? Thanks
That should be the width in inches. I normally go with the wider tire if I have a choice, but no real reason why.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:50 PM   #341

Quote:
2.75X21 is the sectional width and is for a 21 inch rim. Height on this type of tire is normally 92% of the width. So, 2.53 high. So if you add 2.53 inches to the 21 inches. Oh wait. You have to multiply the height times two, because the tire, as you look at it on the motorcycle has a top, and a bottom. So 2.53 X 2 =5.06 inches, right? And now we add the rim size of 21 inches to the 5.06 and we get 26.06 inches. We now know the diameter of the wheel with the tire mounted. Those Shinko 244's look really good to me, Sincerely, ARH

Old 02-03-2017, 08:50 PM   #342

Quote:
2.75X21 is the sectional width and is for a 21 inch rim. Height on this type of tire is normally 92% of the width. So, 2.53 high. So if you add 2.53 inches to the 21 inches. Oh wait. You have to multiply the height times two, because the tire, as you look at it on the motorcycle has a top, and a bottom. So 2.53 X 2 =5.06 inches, right? And now we add the rim size of 21 inches to the 5.06 and we get 26.06 inches. We now know the diameter of the wheel with the tire mounted. Those Shinko 244's look really good to me, Sincerely, ARH
Okay so if I choose 3.00 21 for front the 3.00 just means the width??

Old 02-03-2017, 08:50 PM   #343

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTERLIMITS View Post
That should be the width in inches. I normally go with the wider tire if I have a choice, but no real reason why.
Cool thanks for the input

Old 02-03-2017, 08:56 PM   #344

Quote:
Go with the 300 .... but in the end it's not going to matter with the type of bike...
As a bit of advice go with the highest aspect ratio yer can...Helps keep the rim away
from rocks etc....

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 02-03-2017, 08:58 PM   #345

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Go with the 300 .... but in the end it's not going to matter with the type of bike...
As a bit of advice go with the highest aspect ratio yer can...Helps keep the rim away
from rocks etc....

Gotcha makes sense now I understand appreciate it!