Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2022, 04:07 PM   #1

Question Need help Rps Hawk 250

(This is my first bike and I have 0 experience with mechanics but I'm trying, along with no one to help me)
So I have a 2021 Rps Hawk 250, I hit 140 miles the other day and I've decided to change the oil based on videos and forums from lurking. After I drained the old oil and then put new oil in after cleaning everything. I checked under the drain plugs to make sure nothing was leaking, but there was some (very little amount) oil on the side filter plug on the bottom.
So I drained it again cleaned it up and put a tiny bit of oil in to see if the filter plug had some oil buildup on the bottom in-between the bolt and the engine again and it did. Idk if I've cross threaded (I think that's the right term) or broke something. So any help would be appreciated on fixing the issue.

Old 05-19-2022, 04:49 PM   #2

Hi, very cool that you have decided to do your own maintenance. Wipe everything off and see if it leaks overnight. Some residual oil is normal, it may have come out of the threads when you tightened the drain plug. There should be a washer in between the plug and case.

Old 05-19-2022, 05:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt DeGroat View Post
Hi, very cool that you have decided to do your own maintenance. Wipe everything off and see if it leaks overnight. Some residual oil is normal, it may have come out of the threads when you tightened the drain plug. There should be a washer in between the plug and case.
So I put everything back together again and it hasn't leaked but there is a new problem. I started her up after letting everything settle and making sure nothing leaked and I let her sit for a good 7 minutes on idle. I decided to ride in first gear around the house and as I did I could hear this constant like wind whistle noise (kinda hard to explain) from the bike somewhere. So I shut her off and pulled her back up and there was no more oil leak so that's good, but I could be paranoid about the sounds but the sound but it didn't seem normal I guess.. And now there is either a new problem or is this how new oil sounds for the first time?

Last edited by ImYonkers; 05-19-2022 at 07:30 PM.

Old 05-19-2022, 06:34 PM   #4

Oh so sorry,not good .Did you put a quart of oil in it? Should not make a noise

Old 05-19-2022, 06:52 PM   #5

Might be the brake pads or rotors rubbing.
Somewhat normal, but want to figure out if that is what it is.

You can put it on a center stand/jack or whatever and then spin front and rear wheels to see if that is where the noise is coming from.
If it is making noise and the wheels have a lot of drag and are not very freespinning,
then you may need to make some adjustments.

The chain can also be somewhat loud.

Old 05-19-2022, 07:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dig4dirt View Post
Might be the brake pads or rotors rubbing.
Somewhat normal, but want to figure out if that is what it is.

You can put it on a center stand/jack or whatever and then spin front and rear wheels to see if that is where the noise is coming from.
If it is making noise and the wheels have a lot of drag and are not very freespinning,
then you may need to make some adjustments.

The chain can also be somewhat loud.
I did check the chain and the rubber/plastic part and chain seem to be rubbing together a lot. I'm unsure how to make the chain go higher though. The pads do seem to be touching the brake disk a bit but idk how to adjust those either.

Last edited by ImYonkers; 05-19-2022 at 09:25 PM.

Old 05-19-2022, 07:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz View Post
Oh so sorry,not good .Did you put a quart of oil in it? Should not make a noise
I think I put in about 1.4L I just put in as much as the dipstick said was full.

Old 05-20-2022, 09:18 AM   #8

Very good advice to put the bike up and spin the wheels. It seems unlikely that the oil change caused an issue. Does the noise change while pulling the clutch? My magician clutch chatters some while being engaged, first gear can whine some too.

Old 05-20-2022, 09:22 AM   #9

Also the chain does ride on that guide, that's fine just lubricated the chain and make sure it is adjusted properly. I dont have a Hawk but I'm sure the adjustment can be found in these forums. The pads cant really be adjusted much, the calipers are hydraulic. Be sure the rotors are clean and dont have alot of oil residue on them. Any way you can post a video.of the noise?

Old 05-20-2022, 04:37 PM   #10

I had some chain rub on the tire. Had to adjust the rear tire and take slack out of rear tire. That helped. Have you checked the slack in the chain? and when in neutral on a milk crate or jack, whatever you have, have you watched the chain as you rotate the rear tire? Try that. I think you might have chain rub on the tire.

Old 05-20-2022, 08:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathGrin73 View Post
I had some chain rub on the tire. Had to adjust the rear tire and take slack out of rear tire. That helped. Have you checked the slack in the chain? and when in neutral on a milk crate or jack, whatever you have, have you watched the chain as you rotate the rear tire? Try that. I think you might have chain rub on the tire.
It seemed like it was the chain but I don't know how to move the chain farther from the wheel.

Old 05-20-2022, 08:20 PM   #12

Also I just tried starting it up and I kept getting this buzzing from the alternator or starter, unsure which and the horn was not beeping at full capacity. And it won't start on the electric start. The batter is 100% full literally bought a 130$ charger for everything. The battery isn't stock but it's supposed to be better. Kick start works after a few tries, but it turns over. The neutral light goes out and buzzing happens while holding the electrical start. I tried taking it apart with a buddy after work but the switch is saudered he said. Then we called his dad and he said it's probably the starter. So idk where to go from here any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-21-2022, 07:08 AM   #13

Ok, so that's alot. The neutral light does go out when you push the start button, that's normal. As for the starter not working and horn problem, I would start by checking ground wires. Trace the negative cable from the battery to where it connects to the bike. Remove it and sand, grind or otherwise clean the surface very well. Remove the paint from where the wire connects. Also look for any other places where wiring is grounded to the chassis and do the same.

Old 05-24-2022, 03:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt DeGroat View Post
Ok, so that's alot. The neutral light does go out when you push the start button, that's normal. As for the starter not working and horn problem, I would start by checking ground wires. Trace the negative cable from the battery to where it connects to the bike. Remove it and sand, grind or otherwise clean the surface very well. Remove the paint from where the wire connects. Also look for any other places where wiring is grounded to the chassis and do the same.
Before I did this I checked last night and I wasn't even getting a noise when pressing the electric start. Then I did what you said and still not even a response. I keep getting told to replace the starter so I think I'll try that out. Is it difficult to replace the starter on the hawk?

Old 05-24-2022, 06:17 PM   #15

I dont imagine changing the starter is very difficult. Before you do though make sure power is reaching the starter. Find the somewhat thick wire leading to the starter. It goes into the side of the starter under a rubber boot. Pull back the boot and make sure it has 12 or more volts while you are pushing the start button (with all switches on). If you dont have a multi meter now is a great time to get one and learn it. They are a great tool. I recomend analog. If you have 12 + volts replace the starter. If not post again and we can go from there.

Tags
help!