Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2016, 02:16 PM   #1

TaoTao Hawk?

I called a couple of the lowest price internet sales for a hawk and inquired about the manufacturer since it wasn't listed. both of the lowest said they were Taotao. I've heard from the scooter arena that these are particularly low quality. anyone have any further info on the taotao version of the hawk? perhaps how it might compare to the Haosen, Bashan or Roketa?

Old 01-18-2016, 02:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
I called a couple of the lowest price internet sales...
I don't think you got very good information. The Hawks quality is typical for a drop ship china bike these days, actually pretty decent.

I have never heard Hawk is associated w/ TaoTao, but rather is manufactured by Chongqing Haosen.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserchinarider View Post
I don't think you got very good information. The Hawks quality is typical for a drop ship china bike these days, actually pretty decent.

I have never heard Hawk is associated w/ TaoTao, but rather is manufactured by Chongqing Haosen.
FWIW, here's one that told me specifically it was taotao

https://www.txpowersports.com/New_ha...bike-250cc.htm

Old 01-18-2016, 08:04 PM   #4

They say it has automatic transmission too.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:10 PM   #5

Never pay attention to the accuracy of a box store website. I had to tell Superior Power Sports that the Rhino was green sticker (either that or Power Sports Max was wrong) and the next day, it was changed to green sticker.

As mentioned earlier, whether it's a Hawk, Storm, Apollo or whatever, they're all pretty good now and share many of the same parts.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 01-18-2016, 08:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Never pay attention to the accuracy of a box store website. I had to tell Superior Power Sports that the Rhino was green sticker (either that or Power Sports Max was wrong) and the next day, it was changed to green sticker.

As mentioned earlier, whether it's a Hawk, Storm, Apollo or whatever, they're all pretty good now and share many of the same parts.
it wasn't the site that said it was taotao. I specifically called them and asked who the manufacturer was. both places put me on hold and let me speak to someone else (I assume a person familiar with the equipment). both told me over the phone they were taotao. neither of the sites said anything about who the manufacturer was, so that's why I asked.

The one I looked at locally was Ricky Power Sports Hawk made by Housan (based on the sticker that was on the motor). I was wanting to ensure I found something similar in the cheaper priced internet searches I saw. that's why I asked them the question in the first place. it's the first time taotao has popped into the picture in my searches, and thought I'd ask here to see if anyone else has found this.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
They say it has automatic transmission too.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-19-2016, 06:12 PM   #8

Quote:
it wasn't the site that said it was taotao. I specifically called them and asked who the manufacturer was. both places put me on hold and let me speak to someone else (I assume a person familiar with the equipment). both told me over the phone they were taotao. neither of the sites said anything about who the manufacturer was, so that's why I asked.

The one I looked at locally was Ricky Power Sports Hawk made by Housan (based on the sticker that was on the motor). I was wanting to ensure I found something similar in the cheaper priced internet searches I saw. that's why I asked them the question in the first place. it's the first time taotao has popped into the picture in my searches, and thought I'd ask here to see if anyone else has found this.
Here's an idea. I think the Tao Tao warehouse is very close to SPS and I think that they may order stuff directly from the TT warehouse sometimes. I wonder if the TT warehouse is dropshipping Hawks for SPS and maybe that's why they thought it was a Tao Tao??? Just a thought.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 01-20-2016, 11:47 AM   #9

The Hawk 250cc Enduro is made by Haosen, not Taotao.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Rinkleff View Post
So, the Roketa I bought...is it the same? pic shows the Hawk logo on the seat.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Rinkleff View Post
I understand that but my point was maybe the Tao Tao folks were fulfillment warehousing and dropshipping the Hawk stock for Haosen.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 01-20-2016, 11:34 PM   #12

Quote:
So, the Roketa I bought...is it the same? pic shows the Hawk logo on the seat.
Yes, Roketa is a large-scale distributor who carry others' products and put their name on it--not actually their name on the bike itself, but rather on their site.

I will try to get an answer regarding TaoTao. I have a 'connection' to them (not directly but close enough) to their California warehouse. They are known for copying others' motorsport products (other Chinese products--clones of clones ), but the last time my friend was at the California warehouse, they were disassembling an SSR XF250/Qingqi XF250, so that would be the cloned enduro. I am quite sure the dealer you spoke with is mistaken; heck even Adam Rinkleff, the distributor for the Hawk states TaoTao is NOT selling these.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-21-2016, 09:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Yes, Roketa is a large-scale distributor who carry others' products and put their name on it--not actually their name on the bike itself, but rather on their site.

I will try to get an answer regarding TaoTao. I have a 'connection' to them (not directly but close enough) to their California warehouse. They are known for copying others' motorsport products (other Chinese products--clones of clones ), but the last time my friend was at the California warehouse, they were disassembling an SSR XF250/Qingqi XF250, so that would be the cloned enduro. I am quite sure the dealer you spoke with is mistaken; heck even Adam Rinkleff, the distributor for the Hawk states TaoTao is NOT selling these.
thanks for the info. this is all confusing!

Old 01-21-2016, 11:12 AM   #14

It is. Just enjoy the bike for what it is. The bike doesn't care what name is on the seat.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-21-2016, 11:34 AM   #15

Quote:
thanks for the info. this is all confusing!
Online vendors often provide inaccurate info, which is why we want to locate qualified mechanics and establish dealerships. I've seen the Hawk listed as Taotao, Roketa, Kymco, SSR, and Apollo. Some claim the bike can do 100+ mph, but let's be honest -- it does 55-65 on open road depending on assembly and various factors. It's a dirtbike designed for rugged terrain, with rocks and logs and streambeds. I personally wouldn't want to go that fast off-road. It's not a racing bike. I've also seen it advertised as 100% street legal, and this claim is an endless headache. The bike is street legal in many states, but buyers/dealers need to check with their local DMV. Some states accept it without difficulty (ie: Texas), others are a real hassle (ie: New York), and others will just flat out deny it (ie: California).

It is plausible that Haosen bikes are being shipped from the Taotao warehouse. We keep their inventory in stock, so that we can ship everything out on a single pallet and reduce shipping costs. I know Dongfang keeps some of our inventory in stock, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn Taotao does as well.

As for the Hawk's quality, what can I say. It was designed for Africa, so it's not a luxury bike. Considering the price, however, most people seem pretty satisfied with it.