Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-17-2015, 02:45 PM   #1

Zongshen RX3 (Honley-UK) First impressions....

Had the bike just over a week now......The very first impression was "Is it really this fast" but I'm afraid only because the speedometer is excessively out, compared it to a GPS speedo and the bikes speedo is out by 25% ! Now I know why when slowing to an indicated 30mph for 'speed cameras' everyone behind me gets rather close because I've dropped to 24 mph in reality :-( Job one is to fit a "speedo healer" type device to put it right another concern being if left as it is after I've done 4000 miles the bike would have clocked up 5000 and so on.
Next negative is the side stand, as soon as its got no downward pressure on it the stand folds up bike falls over...... will be modifying it asap. Tilt the bike up to check the engine oil level, opposite side to the stand, don't forget the stands now folded up, before you lean the bike back over. My final negative is the stalling when slowing to a stop, engine just dies, and in my case normally at a junction with traffic behind me, there's no way of getting a quick restart either. It's ignition off, lights off, ignition on, let the fuel pump run and the dash complete its start up procedure then press the start button. Probably only 30 seconds but when you're stuck front of a queue at a junction not good especially after dark having to switch the lights off to restart! Passing this problem back to the dealer come first service.....

Now the good bits..... comfy riding position with enough power to flow with the traffic, overall finish looks good but I will be keeping an eye on some of the bolts and screw fastners, need rust proofing some already showing signs after being ridden in the wet.
The bike does have a road presence with the orange paintwork, upright riding position and large silver boxes making it more visible to others on the road which has got to be a good thing these days. Handling is quite good and bike feels nimble, CST tyres seem to have reasonable traction too with the rear sliding rather than letting go in the wet under braking and acceleration, maybe it will settle as the tyres 'wear' in.
The gearbox is smooth and positive and no sign of the can't find neutral some owners have reported with a good spread of ratios that suits commuting through town, brakes are firm and allow confident use with enough feel to be controlled. The dash is clear and easy to read at a glance including the inaccurate speedo, the mirrors wide apart enough to see behind rather than just your shoulders like some bikes :-)
All in all when on the road and moving it's a joy to ride, a bit flat power wise below 7000rpm but comfortable at a steady pace, pass that 7000rpm point and the engine comes into it own giving a nice 'shove' as you head for the next gear. Once the 'niggles' are sorted I know I'm going to enjoy this bike.
A modification on my to do list is a HID headlight upgrade, working nights I like to see where I'm going best I can and a 35watt HID bulb is so much brighter than 35watt halogen thats fitted.