Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands

Old 12-02-2016, 10:54 AM   #1

Which Would You Pick?

preface:

I used to own a suzuki VX800. it was a v-twin intruder motor in a standard frame and even had shaft drive. I also am looking for a long term replacement for my Honda Superhawk which I sold earlier this year.

my goal for this bike is to be something fun to ride, a twin engine, and a little old school cafe character. bigger doesn't mean better (as far as either the motor or the bike). these two are somewhat larger than I want, but it's not easy to find something that's not too small. on a side note, I found that Royal Enfield is in the works of producing a new 750 cafe that might be added to this list.

whatever I get, it's going to get lowered bars, bar end mirrors, chopped rear end and a traditional cafe seat.

So....which of these do you like better and why....

Yamaha SCR950:
The SCR950™ calls back to the past with its low-profile bench seat, retro-racing side number plates, fork boots and bold color accents. Modern engineering meets timeless scrambler style.

The 58-cubic-inch (942cc) engine is an air-cooled SOHC 60° V-twin with four valves per cylinder, a pent-roof-shaped combustion chamber, and 9.0:1 compression ratio. The engine is ideal for exploring unpaved roads off the beaten track and powering out of tight corners.

A 2-into-1 exhaust pipe layout on the right side of the engine contributes to the lively performance and styling of the machine, with an upswept muffler for improved ground clearance and a pleasing exhaust note.
Inviting, Flexible Ergonomics

The SCR950 puts the rider in a position of control to handle whatever the road throws at them. A wide and tall crossbar-type handlebar creates light steering feel, while centrally-mounted footpegs and a long, flat seat allow the rider to move easily to adapt to different riding styles.

A double-cradle frame features sporty geometry for nimble, responsive handling in any environment. The front and rear suspension systems are tuned to provide great comfort and handling while contributing to the machine’s stylish low profile.

TRIUMPH T100 STREET TWIN:
The Street Twin is our most contemporary, fun and accessible new Bonneville. powered by an all new high torque 900cc engine. With its unique character, distinctive sound, stripped back styling and dynamic riding experience the new Street Twin is the perfect Bonneville for today's rider.

The new Street Twin combines a low seat height and accessible riding position with an exciting and responsive new engine with a sharp, more refined and stripped back look for maximum fun and rideability every day.

An all new chassis and suspension delivers dynamic handling and an engaging riding experience. With a truly modern standard of capability and sensitively incorporate rider focused technology, including ABS, Ride By Wire and Traction Control, the Street Twin is built to ride like a Triumph should.

The Street Twin is designed, with the spirit of individualism and customisation in mind, to be the perfect starting point to build your own custom bike. With over 150 new stylish accessories available and a set of ‘inspiration' kits, to use as your starting point or to have fitted by your dealer as a complete set, it’s never been easier to build your own custom Bonneville.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-Triumph-Bonneville-Street-static-1-590x393.jpg (93.1 KB, 196 views)

Last edited by Sport Rider; 02-05-2020 at 06:14 PM.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:54 AM   #2

here's a few of my thoughts:
- the yamaha would need fitted with cast wheels. I really don't like spokes
- the yamaha has a 3.2 gallon gas tank. that's more gas stops for a 300 mile day of fun.
- the yamaha being a v-twin will probably be a bit narrower than the triumph.
- yamaha is a new bike and might have bugs to work out.
- triumph service is not as readily available.
- pricing will likely be similar enough so as not to be a differentiator.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:31 AM   #3

I like the spokes on the Yamaha for the old-school café look. It would be well-suited to being equipped with clip-ons and rearsets.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-02-2016, 11:38 AM   #4

I like the whole look of the Yamaha. I've own a Yamaha V-twin and wish I still had it. I had to part with it many tears ago due to medical and financial issues.
2020 Venom Ghost 250
105main,40pilot,17/36 sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9
2016 Black Hawk 250
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 12-02-2016, 12:24 PM   #5

Just one point in favor of the Yamaha as i had looked into this bike as well just a couple months ago. It is based off of the Bolt model cruiser so it is an already proven platform.
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 12-02-2016, 12:28 PM   #6

Posted pic since it didn't have much of a look with your post.

This is hard choice. Yam has a little more dirt cred, while the triumph is a little cafe street.

Triamph has a little more cool street value. Most on this site will appreciate the rough and tumble Mx style of the yam

Both tough choices , without further study upon first look I would say yam. Would not make a choice without lots of homework.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 12-03-2016, 02:48 PM   #7

If you are open to a thumper cafe, the rycamotors.com kits look awful good on a Suzuki S40 and can cost a lot less. Ryca also makes cafe kits for Sportsters, too.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
If you are open to a thumper cafe, the rycamotors.com kits look awful good on a Suzuki S40 and can cost a lot less. Ryca also makes cafe kits for Sportsters, too.
I have noticed those before and think they are cool. I'm looking for something a bit bigger. really something in the 750 range, but everyone keeps pushing larger. I don't want go above these just to keep the bike a bit lighter while still having the power I want.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:36 PM   #9

Moto Guzzi v9

Old 12-03-2016, 06:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad Chad View Post
Moto Guzzi v9
very nice! but at 10500 MSRP, they have priced themselves out of my competition parameters.

msrp for both of my initial offerings are about 8600 to 8700. nearly two grand more? nah....

Old 12-03-2016, 10:00 PM   #11

I don't know the price, but looks to be what your final result shoud be:

Triumph Street Cup:

http://www.cycleworld.com/triumphs-c...s-finally-here

I can attest that the engine/transmission are excellent, see my signature.

jb

Old 12-03-2016, 10:08 PM   #12

Yam!

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 12-03-2016, 10:55 PM   #13

Jb... you must have just picked this up? Outstanding, did you get the yellow and black?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 12-04-2016, 08:43 AM   #14

No help from me as I like both the Yamaha and the Triumph. Would prefer tubeless tires and mag wheels but no big deal.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Jb... you must have just picked this up? Outstanding, did you get the yellow and black?
BB, I didn't get the Street Cup....my old bones can't tolerate the riding position.

Recently sold the Scout, and bought the T-100 version of the Triumph Bonneville... same engine/transmission as the Street Cup but in an "old man" form...

As far as the Yamaha and Street Twin, having ridden V-twins for many years, IMO, the parallel twin of the Triumph is a smoother, more refined engine than the Yamaha.....but some may like a bit more rumbling of the V-twin engine.

jb