Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Dealer & Distributor Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2016, 10:11 PM   #1

Progression Review of Familygokarts.com

Hey Ya'll,
So I decided to order my little man a TaoTao Boulder 400XR in Spider Blue from Familygokarts.com. This is a review of the retailer as it progresses. I have to say that so far I'm impressed with how the order process is with these guys. Ok now the order process with them is lengthy, there is no adding it to your cart and checkout and done, but its all for good reason IMO. Let me explain. You do the normal adding the item quanity to your cart and yada yada. But the checkout page has plenty of options and that I liked. But particularly liked the direct link to pay and checkout through PayPal. After your payment is authorized through paypal you come back to family go karts site to continue on with your address, billing address, choosing any safety equipment to add to the order, and extra service plans. At the end of the checkout process you have to read and agree to a release of liability before your order goes any further. After you submit your order you will be sent an email confirmation with instructions to CALL the company to verify your order or it will be put on hold. Then I received a text to call another nice lady to go over Shipping (FREE SHIPPING, Home delivery is an extra 20 bucks, then there is a 9 dollar fuel surcharge added). During this phone call she explained EVERYTHING about the shipping process (They only ship UPS Freight). Right down to checking the shipment and documenting damage on the Shipping DOC before signing for it. She also explained how the carton may have some dings but doesn't necessarily mean the product inside is damaged and for me not to refuse it . As in if any damages incurred, parts will be replaced. But small scratches, etc will not. I'm ok with that. She also STRESSED that I change the oil IMMEDIATELY before starting . Then the emails roll in. I got one email containing links to videos for assembly, Battery information, changing the oil, starting up the ATV, Adjusting idle speed, Remote feature, and How to accept shipment. Then I got another email containing 45 safety tips for parents. So far I'm REALLY impressed with how much effort this company puts into order accuracy, and keeping the customer informed. They say they have been in business for 26 years. I will update this as it progresses, right up until I start the wee thing.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:17 PM   #2

I am no expert, but I always thought before you do anything else before your very first ride, you start the bike and let it run for a few minutes to warm up the shipping/break-in oil, shut the bike down, and drain the oil because it is thinner when warm and will come out easier and more of it. I think they are lying to you! Just kidding--sounds like they want to take care of their customers...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 12-05-2016, 10:29 AM   #3

I had checked them out when looking for my daughters UTV. They had a lot of good reviews. Only reason I didn't buy from them is because they didn't sell the Hawk 250 and I got a better combo deal somewhere else. Start it with the oil shipped to warm it up and suspend the shavings or what ever else that might be in there so it will drain out with the oil. Otherwise it will be in there with the new oil.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 12-06-2016, 07:16 AM   #4

Paypal is still showing the payment for the ATV pending. I don't think I've ever seen that before (pending for so long I mean) using pay pal. I'll call Familygokarts here in a few hours and ask what the deal is. Stay tuned.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsride View Post
Paypal is still showing the payment for the ATV pending. I don't think I've ever seen that before (pending for so long I mean) using pay pal. I'll call Familygokarts here in a few hours and ask what the deal is. Stay tuned.
They might not take the payment until it is shipped. May be a good sign that they are not taking the money and run.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 12-06-2016, 09:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
They might not take the payment until it is shipped. May be a good sign that they are not taking the money and run.
Good Point Jerry, If thats the case another thumbs up for them.

Old 12-08-2016, 11:27 AM   #7

Quick update. I finally got an email yesterday from PayPal saying the bank rejected my payment to Familygokarts.com. Seems PP had my old bank as the go to funding source. Well no wonder the payment rejected LOL. I had my current good debit card linked which I THOUGHT was the primary funding source. Anyway I got it all fixed and got Familygokarts paid as of yesterday. So Basically the order went in yesterday from a foul up on my part. The lady that answers the phone is very helpful and polite. And, they do answer the phone every time. Like I said I like how they have their ordering process set up, although lengthy, a lot of grey areas are taken out. The time they put into the emails, instructions, and set up videos is awesome. Now I just hope little mans new RIDE RIDE makes it on the Sleigh in time for Christmas. Not that I'm at ALL happy about the fat man getting credit LOL but hey the look on their face is all this papa needs.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:42 PM   #8

Letsride, so hopefully you are saying that you have used a payment vehicle that has a stop payment ability? This is the best way to deal with these retailers, just saying for your own sake...this is a hard learned lesson for many customers in the past , generally speaking.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 12-08-2016, 02:22 PM   #9

Hey guys, Brad from FamilyGoKarts here. I've been following this thread since your first post, and just wanted to chime in to let you know how much we appreciate the comments from everyone.

Really sorry about the PayPal mixup, but it only delays your order by a couple days. You should be OK.

We try really hard to make sure every customer is 100% satisfied. We're aware that our order process is a bit involved, but as I'm sure you already know, ordering and shipping ATVs and GoKarts is not as simple as most online shopping. There's a fair amount of paperwork, and we make it a policy to personally speak with each customer about their order before it ships. Then, of course, there's the logistics of delivering a package as big and heavy as a four-wheeler! Despite our best efforts, the whole process does not always go perfectly; especially in the midst of the Christmas rush.

We're constantly looking for ways to improve the process, and oftentimes it's tough to get quality feedback like you're providing here. So, thank you again for this post. The feedback really helps.

I'll continue monitoring this thread and look forward to your followup posts. If there's anything I can do or any questions you have, please don't hesitate to let me know. If I don't have an answer, I'll find someone who does!

Hope your little one enjoys his new ATV, and you and yours have a Merry Christmas!

Old 12-08-2016, 03:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyGoKarts View Post
Hey guys, Brad from FamilyGoKarts here. I've been following this thread since your first post, and just wanted to chime in to let you know how much we appreciate the comments from everyone.

Really sorry about the PayPal mixup, but it only delays your order by a couple days. You should be OK.

We try really hard to make sure every customer is 100% satisfied. We're aware that our order process is a bit involved, but as I'm sure you already know, ordering and shipping ATVs and GoKarts is not as simple as most online shopping. There's a fair amount of paperwork, and we make it a policy to personally speak with each customer about their order before it ships. Then, of course, there's the logistics of delivering a package as big and heavy as a four-wheeler! Despite our best efforts, the whole process does not always go perfectly; especially in the midst of the Christmas rush.

We're constantly looking for ways to improve the process, and oftentimes it's tough to get quality feedback like you're providing here. So, thank you again for this post. The feedback really helps.

I'll continue monitoring this thread and look forward to your followup posts. If there's anything I can do or any questions you have, please don't hesitate to let me know. If I don't have an answer, I'll find someone who does!

Hope your little one enjoys his new ATV, and you and yours have a Merry Christmas!
You have just increased your stock tenfold with all members and lurkers of chinariders.net. Communication is the key to every deal

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 12-08-2016, 05:42 PM   #11

Quote:

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. Believe me if there is an issue with anything you will sure to hear about it on here. lol Key word is communication. I'm sure you posting will overload you on orders for the next few days.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 12-08-2016, 06:01 PM   #12

Quote:

Well Hello Brad,
Thank you for joining here at China Riders. I really appreciate the reply. With all the shady business practices out there on the interwebs and OUR insatiable appetite for the products. This forum is a very helpful tool for us to find retailers that are reputable and take care of their customers. Some of the reviews here are almost unbelievable they are so bad. I had to do a bit of homework to find you guys and so far I'm glad I did. To reiterate I was actually blown away at your ordering process. I actually liked it. And was happy to go through every step asked. Its not too much at all. In fact I think lots of retailers could learn a thing or two from ya'll.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:04 PM   #13

I got an email notification that UPS has picked up my Shipment. Est. Arrival is 12/15/16. Will follow up with photos when the big brown truck gets here.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:34 AM   #14

Brad, any CARB Approved section or models? I know the Rhino and Coolster 150 are supposed to be CARB approved, but out-of-state models may not be.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 12-09-2016, 01:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Brad, any CARB Approved section or models? I know the Rhino and Coolster 150 are supposed to be CARB approved, but out-of-state models may not be.
Hi 2LZ,

You bet! We've been adding CARB models as they become available. So far, our CARB certified models include:

1. All Tao ATVs except 250cc models.

2. All Tao Dirt Bikes.

3. All Tao and TrailMaster GoKarts.

4. These Scooters - http://www.familygokarts.com/shop/50...=CARB+Approved

5. These Side x Sides - http://www.familygokarts.com/shop/ut...=CARB+Approved

Basically, all TaoTao vehicles are CARB Approved except for the 250cc models, including the Rhino. Since you mentioned that one specifically, I checked with our Tao rep to make sure, and she verified that the Rhino is NOT CARB Approved. All other Tao units are.

I've also asked our Coolster rep to verify the Coolster 150, but haven't heard back yet.

As more models become CARB certified, we're trying to get that information added in the product specs.