Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2024, 07:02 PM   #166

If you have not already corrected it, your mirrors look to be on backwards.

Old 03-18-2024, 12:33 AM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividpixel View Post
that doesnt surpise me.

Old 03-18-2024, 12:38 AM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividpixel View Post
the very fact of that right there is why I need to stop. I cannot believe I didn't notice that. I have to say, I will feel a hell of a lot skinnier when I put them right.

I used to have a mind. I don't trust myself now. At all. This sucks.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

all I can do is walk away shaking my head in total absolute humiliation. and on a public forum.

Old 04-01-2024, 04:43 PM   #169

Bought front tire (cheap Kenda), rear rim from hawk250parts and 2 tubes. My friend gave me a slightly used Pirelli M16. It looks better than what came stock.

It ain't exactly what I had in mind, but it'll do the job for now, keep me cruisin' 'til I can scrape together enough for a smoother, more road-friendly tire for the back, one that matches up with what I got on the front. Speaking of, here's the one I went with for the front:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/33519706131...3Avlp_homepage

The reason I went ahead and ordered them is that when I put the bike up on the lift, I found yet another broken spoke, and so the prophecies of Hawk Gurus on this glorious website were once again proven. The cheapest local place I can find to mount them is $40 off the bike.

I still cannot believe I had those mirrors on backwards. I almost wonder if someone switched them on me, but no, I looked back at my pictures and I really was that clueless. Oh well, live and learn.

I don't really trust that M16 for the pavement, but I figure it has to be at least as good as the cheap knobby that came on the back of the bike. I intend to only run it for about a month, unless I discover I like it.

I am glad riding season is approaching. It might not be much, but this Hawk helps keep my brain level. I know some of you know what I am talking about. The focus required to ride is good for those of us with ADHD or whatever you want to call it.

Anyway, barring major psychological problems, I will post pictures soon of the new tires. Take care, fellas.

Last edited by Zapkin; 04-01-2024 at 06:59 PM.

Old 04-01-2024, 11:18 PM   #170

I think that you should be good to go with the tires.
I hated giving up my knobbies on my Hawk, but I did, in favor of a 50/50 type, and while the 50/50 tires evidently have more potential on twisty paved roads, I don't drive agressivly enough for it to matter a whole lot. The tires that are on my KPX, are fairly flat across the width of the tread compared to the ones I now have on my Hawk, which are more rounded across the width of the tread, and I catch myself leaning the bike in fast curves a lot further than with the knobbies. I am kinda hoping that as the center of the tread wears down some the tires will get a little flatter across the width of the tread. I ordered a cheap spoke wrench a good while back from Amazon, and it came with an assortment of interchangeable heads, but the only one that I have ever used is the 6mm. I think the wrench was probably around $5.00, or possibly a very little more, but I have since ordered two sets of these little mini wrenches from AliExpress, to carry on the bikes. They are around the same price as the spoke wrench, and include a little 6mm combination wrench, so that's probably the best buy, because you get several other wrenches.

Old 04-02-2024, 02:56 PM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapkin View Post
I still cannot believe I had those mirrors on backwards. I almost wonder if someone switched them on me, but no, I looked back at my pictures and I really was that clueless. Oh well, live and learn.

I am glad riding season is approaching. It might not be much, but this Hawk helps keep my brain level. I know some of you know what I am talking about. The focus required to ride is good for those of us with ADHD or whatever you want to call it.

Anyway, barring major psychological problems, I will post pictures soon of the new tires. Take care, fellas.
Don't beat yourself up too much about your mirrors. Right about the same time you originally posted about yours being backwards, I discovered mine were also. The print molded on the back of the mirror housing was upside down. That's how I figured it out. I swapped them and it made a huge difference in their functionality. I always thought they were a little awkward and I could never get them adjusted right. They are much, much better now.

I can relate to the focus required for riding. I get the same from skateboarding. It is an escape for sure.
* Banjo brake light switch
* LED headlight + front turn signals
* Debadged (I don't like to brag about the superior
strength!)
* Top speed, GPS verified, as equipped: 68 mph (so far)

Old 04-02-2024, 06:40 PM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
I think that you should be good to go with the tires.
I hated giving up my knobbies on my Hawk, but I did, in favor of a 50/50 type, and while the 50/50 tires evidently have more potential on twisty paved roads, I don't drive agressivly enough for it to matter a whole lot. The tires that are on my KPX, are fairly flat across the width of the tread compared to the ones I now have on my Hawk, which are more rounded across the width of the tread, and I catch myself leaning the bike in fast curves a lot further than with the knobbies. I am kinda hoping that as the center of the tread wears down some the tires will get a little flatter across the width of the tread. I ordered a cheap spoke wrench a good while back from Amazon, and it came with an assortment of interchangeable heads, but the only one that I have ever used is the 6mm. I think the wrench was probably around $5.00, or possibly a very little more, but I have since ordered two sets of these little mini wrenches from AliExpress, to carry on the bikes. They are around the same price as the spoke wrench, and include a little 6mm combination wrench, so that's probably the best buy, because you get several other wrenches.
I've learned one thing: I'll be keeping an eye on the spokes from now on. If I hadn't applied that JB Weld to the rim, it could have been repaired, but my eagerness to ride overrode my better judgment. Anyway, I'm excited to get back out there. The trails are beckoning, and I want to enjoy them before they become so overgrown that a GPS is needed to find my way home.

Old 04-02-2024, 06:44 PM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do©Hawk View Post
I can relate to the focus required for riding. I get the same from skateboarding. It is an escape for sure.
Yes I love it. I am constantly focused on watching the crazy drivers around me or behind me, etc. I believe its good for my ADHD because it forces me to focus, a distraction could end up with me in traction. (yeh im a poet and didn't know it but my feet do because they are Longfellows) And even though she is not fast, the hawk gives me some adrenaline on the back roads. anyway. made it through winter and cannot wait to put another 6000 miles on it.

Old 04-03-2024, 08:40 AM   #174

Hi Zapkin if you do any trail riding ,you'll love that knobby.Will never go back to a 50/50 tire.

Old 04-03-2024, 11:27 AM   #175

Knobbies are all I know. My Hawk had new Kenda knobbies on it when I bought it and it was my 1st real motorcycle experience I've thought about something more road oriented as that has been most of my riding surface, but I don't want to give up the off-road traction. I don't hotrod on the Hawk, so I think my conservative riding style makes the knobbies a little less frightening.
* Banjo brake light switch
* LED headlight + front turn signals
* Debadged (I don't like to brag about the superior
strength!)
* Top speed, GPS verified, as equipped: 68 mph (so far)

Old 04-03-2024, 07:17 PM   #176

The only real drawbacks to knobbies on these bikes is that they wear out faster and cause more vibration, which is true on any bike. If all you do is street riding, having knobbies is pointless. That is why I put Shinko 700's on my bike. Less wear and way less vibration, but still enough grip to handle dirt roads and gravel. If I used my bike off road regularly, it would have Kenda Trakmaster II tires on it.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-04-2024, 10:55 AM   #177

it was NOT and april fools joke

The rim and front tire came today. i plan to get a matching rear soon but until then will run the free tire my friend gave me on the back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	432500988_1488414402023230_6688498534909778259_n.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	31164  

Old 04-04-2024, 10:57 AM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
The only real drawbacks to knobbies on these bikes is that they wear out faster and cause more vibration, which is true on any bike. If all you do is street riding, having knobbies is pointless. That is why I put Shinko 700's on my bike. Less wear and way less vibration, but still enough grip to handle dirt roads and gravel. If I used my bike off road regularly, it would have Kenda Trakmaster II tires on it.
I want more dual sport tire for rear but am running that m16 until I can get another kenda for the back. I was not super thrilled with the stock knobby because it would get squirelly as heck on these grooved roads around here. At first scared the crap out of me until I learned to just let the bike ride it and suggest where it should go.

Old 04-04-2024, 11:47 AM   #179

the condition of the m16

Took this picture of the Pirelli M16 for the back. Seems like it has some life left in it, but really want to keep it for the short term only as I mostly ride roads.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	434698894_727100926259877_577037404278657121_n.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	31166  

Old 04-08-2024, 08:41 PM   #180

CHEAP hawk plastics

Posting this here in case Hawk owners didn't see it in the Webdeals. Its very very inexpensive Hawk 250 complete plastics kit.

anyway here is the thread, enjoy:

https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34076
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hawk plastics 2.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	31209