Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2014, 06:00 PM   #1

sj250gy-6 Air emission valve help anyone?

Hi, ive come across a problem as my bike wont run for less than a second or two after a bit of throttle prior to starting. I have looked at dozens of inlet manifolds that have the breather pipe on top but on mine it is at the bottom go figure! this pipe has had fuel in it going to an air emission valve see pics. No other markings on the valve other than a symbol. the valve has an electrical connection to it that goes to a control box.

My question is has anyone had any experience of one of these valves to share. When ignition put on the valve seems to do nothing. and is the pipe into the inlet manifold suppose to be connected to the bottom.
Only done 200 miles. Has always been difficult to start. Bought from new with only lubrication of areas and oil change. Any help would be mint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0839.jpg (93.8 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0837.jpg (90.5 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0838.jpg (89.2 KB, 150 views)

Old 12-28-2014, 06:17 PM   #2

Just found these pics

Valve and control box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg air valve.jpg (16.0 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg air control emissions air valve.jpg (15.9 KB, 272 views)

Old 12-28-2014, 11:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete350lc View Post
Hi, ive come across a problem as my bike wont run for less than a second or two after a bit of throttle prior to starting. I have looked at dozens of inlet manifolds that have the breather pipe on top but on mine it is at the bottom go figure! this pipe has had fuel in it going to an air emission valve see pics. No other markings on the valve other than a symbol. the valve has an electrical connection to it that goes to a control box.

My question is has anyone had any experience of one of these valves to share. When ignition put on the valve seems to do nothing. and is the pipe into the inlet manifold suppose to be connected to the bottom.
Only done 200 miles. Has always been difficult to start. Bought from new with only lubrication of areas and oil change. Any help would be mint.
I can not say I know this valve , but as an auto mechanic . I would say it is an evap purge valve . On a car it would only open above idle ,to recover gas fumes from a collection canister . In your case I would plug or pinch off with a pair of locking pliers the vacuum line and see if the problem goes away . If it goes away , likely that valve is stuck in an open position .

Old 01-06-2015, 06:59 PM   #4

Well I've found the culprit. Really bad fitting air intake union on air box. The air valve is working as it should presumably. Letting pass air to intake manifold randomly. At tickover delivering low voltage in spurts to the valve. At higher revs voltage rises to around 5 volts, so maybe not a solenoid on or off more like stages. May be similar to auto choke mechanism.?? Thanks for the info. Controller for the valve is mounted just behind rear light cowl exposed to the elements and rear wheel spray:( . Not got any further info on this controller, other than having 3 dip switches on the unit side. Seems to be working. Has anyone had any experience with aftermarket cone air filters. If these are fitter do the jets need altering.?. Thanks for looking.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:46 AM   #5

Generally, if you introduce more air, you need more fuel. Not knowing what the airflow is like with the stock filter, it's difficult to determine if a cone filter would flow more air. My guess is yes.

I would plan to increase main and slow jets by two sizes each.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-07-2015, 03:44 PM   #6

Cheers Weld, had a butcher's (look) under the seat. The air box is a sight to see. Defo going for a cone filter. Will post some pics it's like a combined charcoal n fresh air mix. Probably normal nowadays, but last air box I removed was on a Yam rd350r. Ha.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:31 AM   #7

Rather than a cone, this is my favourite: http://www.ebay.com/itm/42mm-Bent-Ai...f17977&vxp=mtr I've installed them on several machines with good success.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-09-2015, 06:57 PM   #8

Thanks i will give it a go. Well cheap! Which is always nice ha.i received this pic below from a mate. Did a bit of scouting around, it has the same instrument speedo as well, with the yamaha badge where the gear status is on mine. Same airbox too with the cassette type filter. XT250 serow 2008.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yamaha-XT250_Serow-2005.jpg (56.0 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg sj250gy-6.jpg (87.5 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg clocks.jpg (48.3 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by pete350lc; 01-09-2015 at 07:42 PM.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:49 AM   #9

Pete, it's tough to see with my tablet, but it looks like the right side of your engine resembles the Yamaha. Does your side cover have a small diameter cover that is retained with three screws?

Old 01-14-2015, 08:02 AM   #10

Weld, no it's all in one. No hatch for filter. 169fmm engine I believe. Seen a lot of pics of arrow since and downloaded st service manual. Body styling really close, wheelbase etc. Bit of an odd ball bike. Not many about in UK.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:33 PM   #11

Sharp bike nonetheless.