Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2021, 03:36 PM   #1

Hawk 250 stuck in gear

Just got my first bike, I rode a tiny bit as a kid. Got a brand new hawk 250 up and running. Took it 2 laps around my block to test ride and now it seems to be stuck in gear. Will stall if I go too slow on start and I can’t get it to shift up or down it feels like. I checked these forums and although I don’t really know what I’m doing, rocked it back and forth while spam shifting, removed the sprocket cover - everything seemed fine. Tightened the clutch cable at the handle bar. Made sure the shift lever wasn’t being obstructed…

Just took it around the block again but had to keep the clutch engaged so it wouldn’t stall and be at a somewhat higher speed. Guessing it’s stuck in 2nd, maybe higher? The shift lever sounds like it is doing something when I shift down, but can’t get it into neutral. Going up doesn’t feel like it’s doing anything or getting stuck? At this point I’m guessing I have to remove the oil and check the actual gears? Maybe tighten the clutch cable near the gear cover? Any suggestions?

Old 07-31-2021, 05:30 PM   #2

Yikes! Hate to be pessimistic, but what is up with these Hawks and their transmissions? It seems to be worse with the DLX's but...?

Old 07-31-2021, 08:36 PM   #3

Guess you get what you pay for lol

Old 07-31-2021, 09:24 PM   #4

It does seem like there has been a lot of trouble with them recently, but I don't know why it wasn't much trouble before. Even though the bikes are less expensive compared to most new bikes , you shouldn't be willing to accept it as a reason to have major issues with your new bike. Your clutch cable needs to have some free play . I would report the issue to the dealer ASAP.

Old 07-31-2021, 09:56 PM   #5

Maybe someone who has connections to Ricky Motorsports can at least make them aware of this problem...after all...they are the importer! You would think that they would do everything in their power to rectify this issue as they are going to wreck their reputation...and add to a negative connotation towards all China-bikes!!

Who did you buy this from Noob? Do they even respond?

Old 08-01-2021, 01:17 AM   #6

Most common cause of this issue if not related to the clutch is the shifter ratchet arm that engages the Pawl/Ratchet mechanism. (Example: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3287...:%223339%22%7D) At least one or two members here have replaced or otherwise unbent/corrected said arm and fixed this issue. Thankfully, it does not require splitting the case to investigate/fix this issue. Just the right side engine case cover needs to come off, and maybe the clutch needs removed if certain work is needed.

Another seemingly common issue on the last production run (2019/2020) of the engines in the Hawks seems to be valves breaking.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 08-01-2021, 02:38 AM   #7

Yeah, totally agree with Megadan. If that is the problem (shift shaft ratchet) it looks pretty straight forward. I posted this in earlier threads, but here is the gasket set...if you're going to remove the clutch case:https://www.ebay.com/itm/253539666887

Old 08-01-2021, 08:51 AM   #8

On my 2021 TBR7 when I took it for it's maiden voyage about 600 feet down the road and back. When I pulled in my driveway I was stuck in fourth gear and it wasn't budging. I had read that one of the chinariders members had a similar problem and he adjusted the clutch with no freeplay. I followed his lead and tried it on mine I adjusted it on the engine side and used the handlebar side for more adjustment. I then took it for about a 15 mile ride and it shifted great

Old 08-01-2021, 11:59 AM   #9

I actually bought it from my brother who got it on Amazon. He kinda has some issues but basically he let it sit in the garage for like 5 months before deciding he couldn’t put it together/didn’t want it. Never even attempted to put it together after opening the box. Since so much time went by idk if it is under warranty even tho I only have 1.1 mile on it

Old 08-01-2021, 12:01 PM   #10

But thank you all for the suggestions I have my buddy who knows more about bikes visiting to help look at it and I’ll show him these suggestions as well

Old 08-02-2021, 09:56 AM   #11

Here is a good video on the shifter in these engines. Worth a look to understand how the shifter operates.

John

Old 08-02-2021, 03:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Here is a good video on the shifter in these engines. Worth a look to understand how the shifter operates.

John
This is a great learning video and if they do ones on valve adjustments the same way I say as long as they say cold engine before adjusting!!

Old 08-02-2021, 10:51 AM   #13

Similar issue with my 2021 Hawk. Mine never find neutral unless at the wrong moment.

Layed mine down on a trail Saturday. Going up a hill shifting from 2nd to 1st it decided to stick in neutral and mid rev decided to find first and bike slipped out from under me. This neutral has been an issue on my bike day 1. Posted earlier in the forums about it.

Old 08-02-2021, 04:22 PM   #14

FINALLY...someone with the 229cc engine (which most of us have) showing everybody how simple it is to remove the case and tighten 2 very important bolts. This is probably the problem some of you are having, so I hope this helps qualm the nerves a little...he did get lucky with that gasket remaining in one piece though. I do wonder if they should have cleaned those bolts and applied some Loctite. This video was posted 9 days ago and looks like perfect timing!