Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2015, 12:59 PM   #1

Jonway BWS 50

My wife's scooter arrived yesterday. Seems like a fine little machine. The driver had to leave it at the foot of my driveway, there wasn't room enough for him to back in or turn around. I had it out of the crate and in the garage within a half hour. It was fully assembled, sans battery and mirrors which were stowed under the seat.

Now here's the funny part. I could not for the life of me figure out how to open the seat! No handle or key lock anywhere? I googled "how do I open scooter seat" and found a couple of videos. They all said to turn the key to the left and push on the seat. Well, nothing happened. I thought it might be an electric switch so I hooked up a battery out of one of my dirt bikes and tried again. My wife asked what the delay was, I told her about the seat and the instructions I got from the videos. She, who always, always, gets right and left bassackwords, turns the key to the RIGHT and the damn seat pops right open . I guess it really is her scooter after all.

So I finished up the assembly and gave it a quick PDI and took it for a spin. It was awful slow (me being 250+pounds and it being <50CC). Nevertheless I expected more than 15MPH out of it. It started to loosen up after a few minutes though and I was able to get 25+ MPH out of it after a few heating cooling cycles.

It did really great on the gravel and dirt roads, which is why I got the fat tire version in the first place. No disappointment with the ride or handling. It's rock solid on loose surfaces.

Overall, I'm pleased with it for money (less than $1K delivered www.saferwholesale.com, 2 weeks from order to delivery ). I think my wife will really enjoy it. We plan on riding around the country roads with it. She eventually will get a full size motorcycle, but I wanted her to start like I did, mine bike > minicycle > motorcycle.

I do, however, strongly feel that an 80CC kit is on the horizon. Sooner than later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150729_183743_zps4vhdtied.JPG (66.2 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg drive.JPG (53.8 KB, 187 views)

Last edited by rich_e; 07-30-2015 at 01:02 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 07-30-2015, 01:26 PM   #2

Forgot to mention that I have to send for the MSO. I emailed them this morning and they replied, right away. They said one to two weeks for the MSO. So we'll see how that goes. So we're looking at a solid month from order to ready-for-registration for this distributor.

Also, if anyone has installed a "big bore kit", where'd you get it and how has it held up? Did you upgrade the head and carb as well?

There are dozens of kits out there, need to narrow down the field a little bit. It's a 139QMB engine.

I'm liking the products I see on http://www.scrappydogscooters.com/13...rformance.html. They "seem" to be knowledgeable. There are cheaper parts out there, but who can say if they are inferior to the "made in Taiwan" parts. I mean, the entire scooter is made in China and it's great. Why not stick with China-made parts?

Old 07-30-2015, 01:33 PM   #3

I like the picture of the scooter at the end of the drive and the truck pulling away.

Yeh 250lbs is a good chunk of change for that scooter. How is the performance with your wife riding it? Should be able to hit 35mph pretty easy.

/

Old 07-30-2015, 01:34 PM   #4

By the way Scrappy Dog has a very good reputation for parts and support.

/

Old 07-30-2015, 01:37 PM   #5

They also sometimes come restricted. Research and see if your model comes from the factory restricted. Can be as simple as a set/stop screw at the carb and I have also seen something about removing and/or replacing a bolt at the transmission to remove the restriction.

/

Old 07-30-2015, 02:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
By the way Scrappy Dog has a very good reputation for parts and support.

/
I have used them with good results.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
sometimes come restricted
Related discussion.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_e View Post
big bore kit
Downside is how the piston weight unbalances the rotational dynamics . . enhancing the odds of bearing failure.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:41 AM   #9

Nice looking scoot! You can read about my adventures and success with getting more speed out of a 50cc four stroke here: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=9421

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-31-2015, 12:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Nice looking scoot! You can read about my adventures and success with getting more speed out of a 50cc four stroke here: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=9421
I remember that thread! Good read. Thanks.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
Downside is how the piston weight unbalances the rotational dynamics . . enhancing the odds of bearing failure.
That is a lot of weight to add. I think I'll just clean up the exhaust and intake increase the jetting and see how it goes. Right now it's so lean that it runs better at part throttle. At full throttle, there's too much air and not enough vacuum at low RPM to pull the slide up. At least that's what I think is going on. Full throttle works better at higher RPMs, you have to work up to it.

I'm thinking, if more performance is really necessary, to just put in a complete 150 engine. I've already got my Craig's list search set up to notify me if any 150CC scooters are posted in my area. As Louis posted in his upgrade thread, just get an entire scooter instead of just an engine.

They come up all the time for cheap without a title or wrecked.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:14 PM   #12

nice looking scooter, I really like the yellow. I just emailed an add on craigslist that's not running for 100, doesn't say what it is but I'm guessing its a 50cc.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:14 PM   #13

Still no MSO. I E-mailed them and they said it came in from China on Wednesday and they mailed it out to me the next day. So perhaps it will come in early next week.

I did change the man jet on it though. Went from a 79 to an 87 (smallest I had on hand). Surprisingly, it wasn't too much. Runs much better now. There's a hill near the house that it would drop down to 10MPH pulling me up. Now it can maintain 20MPH. It'll pull me up my driveway into the garage from a dead stop, something it couldn't do before. Full throttle is now useful. Before, I had to back it off from full throttle to get any RPM out of it.

I didn't mess with the pilot jet or the needle. I pried the cap off where the mixture screw is supposed to be. There's just a headless plug there held on with a c-clip. No screw. Not to worried about adjusting it though. It'll spend most of its time on the main circuit (I.E. WFO!). The idle does tend to creep up a little though. I'll get it set nice and low and it'll creep up a few hundred RPM and stay there until I blip the throttle. It'll return to a low idle and start to creep up again. I double, triple, checked the intake and air box rubbers. Everything is tight.

Should be better for my wife now. She hasn't ridden it much, it wasn't responsive enough when it was running so lean. She'd get it going to slow and loose her balance because it wouldn't pick up speed fast enough to maintain momentum.

I also changed the break in oil and the gear oil. I know, should have done that on day one but I figured it actually needed breaking in. I only put 15 miles on it so far anyway.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:28 PM   #14

I wouldn't mess with the engine, IMO. These Chinese scooters seem to have very solid engines--but when they are left alone inside. I am really thinking for the long-term when you plan to get a larger bike for your wife, and will be able to sell the scoot...running! However, if you look at it as a project, and you can write it off if the bike's engine dies, then I would encourage you to play with the bore kits, otherwise, you will have to accept the fact that the bike will live all day at 30, maximum.

My friend's scooter has been parked at my house for a few weeks now while a battery was supposed to have been ordered. It is a Lintex 50cc BWS replica, very similar to your wife's bike in that it has the wide tires but looks like a European-spec Yamaha Zuma (with two headlights, side by side) rather than the US version like your wife's (I prefer the one you have as far as looks go). It is all broken in with over 3100 indicated miles and will hit 35 mph, but Yuma is mostly flat.

I can kick-start the bike, but with a diminishing battery, it gets harder and harder, and is not fun in the 110 F heat after several kicks, but it still starts up. I have swapped out the battery from my TMEC, and the scooter starts right up (which made for an easy diagnosis--taking the hot sun into account as far as what needed repairs), but my friend is not eager to get the bike back as she has no license and recently got a ticket for that as well as making an unsafe right turn (it wasn't a speeding ticket, LOL) in that when she turned onto a street with two lanes in the same direction, she turned into the second, outer lane; ironic in that she made her turn at a four way stop, meaning any traffic that would have been traveling in her direction would have had to wait for her right of way, as the officer tried to tell her it was 'dangerous'. I might order a battery so I can keep riding it...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 08-29-2015, 12:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
might order a battery so I can keep riding it
Consider being a "guinea pig" for a ScrappyDog Power Lithium battery.