Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2015, 12:02 AM   #3976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
Disassemble the switch. Should be an easy repair. Usually a piece of spring steel inside applying pressure to a ball bearing that clicks in and out of place for the detent. Be careful as there will be a spring under the ball bearing and you don't want to loose any of the small parts. Bend whatever you need to make the switch work better then smear it all with dielectric grease and you will never have a problem again.

Again be very careful of small parts under spring pressure.

/
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
Good suggestion on repairing the switch, Adjuster. I take it you checked yours and determined that it can't get stalled in a "dead" position? If that's the case, I may contact CSC about a new switch. It is supposed to be under warranty.
That is good general advice, but I don't believe Adjuster owns an RX3.

Yes, the switch can easily get stalled in a 'dead' position. In fact, my light switch used to stall in a 'dead' position. Then the low beam would not work. Finally, the light switch would not work for either beam in any position.

I took the switch apart, and it is not designed in such a way so it can be repaired. Therefore, I cleaned the switch, and applied dielectric grease to the contacts, but it was dead.

I contacted CSC, and they sent me a new switch. CSC has excellent customer service, which is unparalleled in the world of Chinese motorcycles, and excellent for bikes from any country of origin.

I removed the slide switch which controls the headlights from the old switchgear, and I installed a nice toggle switch, instead. I will post a thread on that repair this evening, and leave a link in this thread.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-29-2015, 12:53 AM   #3977

Hey all, had something odd happen. Came back from riding with the Western US tour. Which was awesome. Was glad to have met a bunch of you owners. Anyhow, was time to change the oil. When replacing the 8mm nuts on the oil filter cover I finger threaded first one side on a little then the other side. Then fingered tightend them down to snug. I next used my 8mm t-handle wrench to just add a little more snugness to make sure no leaks. One side snugged down fine the other just kept spinning and spinning. So I got my vice grips out and got a hold of the nut and pulled while backing off, hoping to get the nut to catch. No luck. However the post finally unscrewed and I was able to then cut the nut off. Oddly the first couple of threads are intact, but several of the next few threads are stripped on the post. Has me scratching my head what happened since I hand threaded them. Oh well will call CSC in the morning and hope they have the post screw I need in stock.

RX3
Triumph Speed Triple

http://tarmacstrails.net/

Old 07-29-2015, 01:17 AM   #3978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrami71 View Post
Hey all, had something odd happen. Came back from riding with the Western US tour. Which was awesome. Was glad to have met a bunch of you owners. Anyhow, was time to change the oil. When replacing the 8mm nuts on the oil filter cover I finger threaded first one side on a little then the other side. Then fingered tightend them down to snug. I next used my 8mm t-handle wrench to just add a little more snugness to make sure no leaks. One side snugged down fine the other just kept spinning and spinning. So I got my vice grips out and got a hold of the nut and pulled while backing off, hoping to get the nut to catch. No luck. However the post finally unscrewed and I was able to then cut the nut off. Oddly the first couple of threads are intact, but several of the next few threads are stripped on the post. Has me scratching my head what happened since I hand threaded them. Oh well will call CSC in the morning and hope they have the post screw I need in stock.
As long as someone doesn't overtighten, two flange head bolts would work as well, maybe better. However, a lot of people would overtighten the bolts, and strip the threads in the crankase, so studs were installed by the designer.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-29-2015, 04:37 AM   #3979

Quote:
Disassemble the switch. Should be an easy repair. Usually a piece of spring steel inside applying pressure to a ball bearing that clicks in and out of place for the detent. Be careful as there will be a spring under the ball bearing and you don't want to loose any of the small parts. Bend whatever you need to make the switch work better then smear it all with dielectric grease and you will never have a problem again.

Again be very careful of small parts under spring pressure.

/
Quote:
Good suggestion on repairing the switch, Adjuster. I take it you checked yours and determined that it can't get stalled in a "dead" position? If that's the case, I may contact CSC about a new switch. It is supposed to be under warranty.
I repaired the headlight slider switch on my Zongshen RX3 switchgear. Here is a link to a thread which describes how I did it.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...457#post189457

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-29-2015, 05:16 AM   #3980

New Rocker Headlight Switch

Spud, that's a great fix. The main objective of my initial post was to alert RX3 owners to the dead spot issue so they aren't riding around with their headlight off. I had planned to live with the switch while checking to make sure I had not nudged it to the dead spot. Your post suggests that more problems may be ahead for my switch. I do hope CSC is looking into a better fix as well.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:48 AM   #3981

NoVa I don't own an RX3 like you guys but all these switches on any motorcycle of any manufacturer pretty much work exactly the same. Some are going to be built to better quality and tolerances then others but the basic internal mechanics and functions are the same. Just open your switch up and have a look around. I bet you will be able to easily tweak it to work much better. Its all springs and ball bearings. Each ball bearing is a detent for the different functions and sometimes they are not under enough spring pressure to make a good and positive detent and connection.

Again a warning. Lots of small parts under spring pressure. Make sure you have a good hold on everything so you don't lose any parts. Its even a good idea to disassemble in a box or under a towel to keep parts from shooting over into the neighbors yard never to be found again.

/

Old 07-29-2015, 12:25 PM   #3982

Quote:
NoVa I don't own an RX3 like you guys but all these switches on any motorcycle of any manufacturer pretty much work exactly the same. Some are going to be built to better quality and tolerances then others but the basic internal mechanics and functions are the same. Just open your switch up and have a look around. I bet you will be able to easily tweak it to work much better. Its all springs and ball bearings. Each ball bearing is a detent for the different functions and sometimes they are not under enough spring pressure to make a good and positive detent and connection.

Again a warning. Lots of small parts under spring pressure. Make sure you have a good hold on everything so you don't lose any parts. Its even a good idea to disassemble in a box or under a towel to keep parts from shooting over into the neighbors yard never to be found again.
Once again, that is very good general advice. However, I examined this particular component thoroughly, and I could not find any effective way to fix or adjust it. Therefore, I cleaned it, applied dielectric grease, and reassembled it. However, it still would not work. If anyone finds a way to fix/adjust this switch, I hope they will post the information.

The rest of the components in this particular switch, and the switchgear on the right handlebar, are very nice. However, this particular component is designed in such a way that it is extremely difficult, or impossible to fix/adjust, and any such efforts which are successful probably wouldn't last very long.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-29-2015, 12:28 PM   #3983

Quote:
Spud, that's a great fix. The main objective of my initial post was to alert RX3 owners to the dead spot issue so they aren't riding around with their headlight off. I had planned to live with the switch while checking to make sure I had not nudged it to the dead spot. Your post suggests that more problems may be ahead for my switch. I do hope CSC is looking into a better fix as well.
Indeed, I like my RX3 very much. However, I am sure this problem will arise again, so I presented the information as a service to my fellow RX3 owners. As always, the customer service I received from CSC was superb, and I'm sure this minor issue will be resolved.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-29-2015, 12:53 PM   #3984

Many people have ridden thousands of miles on the Zongshen RX3; it has proven itself to be a reliable, and fun motorcycle. In fact, the fellows from CSC are currently making a group ride of 5,000 miles across the western United States.

http://californiascooterco.com/blog/

The RX3 has an excellent engine, cooling system, transmission, clutch, et cetera. Every motorcycle has a minor fault or two. I think it is an excellent testimony to the quality of the Zongshen RX3 that the switch for the high/low beam is the only real problem I have found with the bike after riding it for 6,000 miles. I'm sure this minor problem will be easily, and quickly resolved.

These forums are here to help the community of Chinese motorcycle owners. Whenever we note a potential problem, we will let you know about it, so you can be prepared.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-29-2015, 07:11 PM   #3985

issues

hmm i wonder if thats why people tell me my headlight flickers on and off,,when im on the road ,,when im told this ,i get off ,an walk around to the front and look an it seems fine..Also has anyone taken there rear shock off an measured it,,,,the length and the bolt hole size at each end,,,,,,i really have to get something different,,,,mine is defective ,,has no dampening at all....after calling csc ,,,they offered to exchange it ,,,,or i could wait an buy the new improved shock they're working on,...but in the mean time i cant go off pavement at all.Oh an yesterday bike did NOT stall,,,go figure ,,,,,but got a rear flat ,,,,air coming out the spoke hole!! I wish i had the money an spud's talent ,id just get a warp 9 rim an avoid all the trouble he spoke of!

Old 07-31-2015, 01:10 PM   #3986

head light adjustment

Does the head light have adjustment up and down? Mine seems to be pointing down too much when riding at night. I looked and don't see an adjustment screw any where around the headlight. Don't have manual or dvd with me just now as I'm at work and ,well lazy ,easier to ask you guys as I forget about it when home or till riding again at night, Ya know what I mean, thanks rj

Old 07-31-2015, 01:24 PM   #3987

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
Does the head light have adjustment up and down? Mine seems to be pointing down too much when riding at night. I looked and don't see an adjustment screw any where around the headlight. Don't have manual or dvd with me just now as I'm at work and ,well lazy ,easier to ask you guys as I forget about it when home or till riding again at night, Ya know what I mean, thanks rj
You just loosen the 2 Allen headed screws on each side of the headlight, and tilt it where you want it, and tighten back up.... and Done
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 07-31-2015, 02:10 PM   #3988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck369 View Post
You just loosen the 2 Allen headed screws on each side of the headlight, and tilt it where you want it, and tighten back up.... and Done
thanks Huck, way too simple for me to figure out on my own )))))))rj

Old 07-31-2015, 02:46 PM   #3989

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
thanks Huck, way too simple for me to figure out on my own )))))))rj
No problem...sometimes it's hardest to see when it's right in front of you... (at my age anyway ....now where are my reading glasses..... )
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 07-31-2015, 10:05 PM   #3990

Don't feel bad. It stumped me too! I ended up pointing it all the way up. When I aimed at a wall, that seemed to be the right height.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol