Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2014, 02:49 AM   #1

Flywing mx100 pw80 question, new rider

The last bike I owned, I was 15 and was a 79 rm80 that got impounded for too many noise complaints-- loud loud bike.
Had a 86 Kawasaki 400quad after that for a few years and my buddy crashed it. (Buddy broke arm/quad was totaled)

Anyways, now am 36yrs old so it has been awhile and wanna get back into riding, so I traded my riding mower for a cr125 and the bike is sweet!

This guy couldn't pay me for the work I did at his house so he gave me this flywing mx100 last week. Figured just to keep and let the wife ride it till i can afford her a real dirtbike, but this will be good learner for her.

The rear tire was off when I got it (needing new tube). Anything special I need to know on reassembling this rear tire with the brake and chain?

Also, the plastic 'chain guard/or guide bottom piece is broke. Can I get away without that piece or does it need to be replaced?

The bike is blue, as far as I've researched online, stock was red only. So it seems as though all the plastics and tank were replaced with Yamaha pw80 plastics, or the bike is in fact a pw80, anyway to know for sure? Now I really haven't had the time to thoroughly look at the thing, it started first kick and went through the gears while the rear was on a crate support.

Just any advice would be appreciated! I haven't ridden or tinkered with bikes since the mid 90s,, I know this bike is a POS and very off brand, but it was basically given to me for about $75 in work that I did, and just liked the idea of something easy for my wife to learn on.
Thanks in advance!

Old 07-09-2014, 03:09 AM   #2

Flywing is a 4 stroke pw80 a 2 stroke. Might help you determin if it is in fact a pw or not
Just looked them up quick. Look very similar to each other.

Post pics I'm sure others will be more helpful

Dave

Old 07-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #3

Welcome!

I'm very familiar with that bike, since Son of Weldangrind had the 50cc version as his first bike. Yours might have actual PW80 plastic on it, but I've also seen blue China stuff.

The bike is indeed a copy of a PW80, right down to the two-stroke exhaust used on the four stroke engine! You can really wake it up with a simple exhaust swap and possible re-jet. Another bad point is the airbox, since it's placed right in front of the rear wheel, where it can be packed full of mud. My solution was to modify the frame and use a 45 degree intake tube and pod filter; that placed the pod filter out of the rear tire spray. Another fix would be to use bulk Uni foam in the existing airbox, and fashion a mudguard that shields the airbox.

You can also drill a new rear shock mounting hole to raise the seat a little, or you can fabricate a shock entension like I did. The fork angle is a little shallow, so bumping the seat height helps with low speed turns.

I'd fabricate some sort of chain guard, just to guide the chain onto the rear sprocket.

Once the bike is dialed in, it'll be a reliable little machine that brings many smiles.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-15-2014, 05:13 PM   #4

Thanks you guys! really appreciate the info!
my work has been crazy so i havent been online, but today I am just trying to get the wheel back on (it was off the bike when the bike was given to me

got the new tube and ready to go, but i cant get it to go on.. i am hoping that it is just a user error (have not messed around with bikes in many many years) rather than not being given the right parts

first off, i am not sure if the brake 'shoe' is in the right direction but the major issue i am having is this spacer i was given. it doesnt seem to fit anywhere. and without it, there is a gap. i just cant seem to find anywhere it fits. any advice would be awesome, just getting really frustrated and i really hope it is just something i am doing wrong. thanks you guys!

Old 03-29-2016, 07:36 PM   #5

Oil

Does anybody know how much oil this bike takes?