Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2019, 04:41 PM   #1

Dirt bike for my 7 year old?

So I’m thinking about buying one for my son, who’s 7. He already has a TT 110cc ATV I bought from a buddy for $100. The thing still runs great, but it is reaching the end of its service life. He loves the ATV, but has been wanting to ride my Mega Moto 212cc mini bike. It’s obviously way too much power for him and the bike is just a bit too tall. He’s a pretty average height 7 year old tho. So who makes the best of these kids dirt bikes? Cash isn’t really a problem. Just want to get something that he will be able to ride and grow into at the same time.

Old 04-30-2019, 11:26 PM   #2

My 8yr old is ready to move up from the Honda CRF50 so this week I purchased the Orion RXB 90cc semi auto pit bike from Orion Powersports. It is a sharp looking bike and has many upgraded components compared to other China built bikes. The seat height is just under 27 inches and is the same as the Kawasaki KLX 110. The folks at Orion have been very helpful and so far the service has been outstanding. I haven't received the bike yet and I will give my impression when I do get it.

http://Orionpowersports.com

Old 05-01-2019, 12:19 AM   #3

Thx for the suggestion. I will look at it right now. Is there any way to adjust seat height? I measured my son and with his feet shoulder width apart he measures 21.5” - 22-ish” to his groin. To some extent, I’m not afraid of giving him a LITTLE more than he can handle and just teach him to ride within his limitations.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:31 AM   #4

I got my son a thumpstar tsb110cc, was just a tad tall for him when he1st started riding but now he's 8 and is perfect size, also fitted atv type gear shifter so he can easily change up and down, he jumps on my daughters 50cc crf clone and is way too big for it, it's that difficult age where they are inbetween, he only goes to 3rd gear, more than enough power, he rides within his ability, he's wary of the power, he only weighs 28kg so that little 110cc Flys

Old 05-01-2019, 09:49 AM   #5

You're welcome! I took my grandson to a motorcycle dealership and had him sit on various bikes to determine the best seat height for him and have done this many times with my kids and others. Ideally the rider should be able to stand the bike up using the ball of their feet (part behind the toes) and not flat feet. This gauge allows for growing room. Bike manufacturers assert this to be a 26 to 28 inch seat height for most 8 year olds - the age when many rids are ready to move up. I have found that the CRF50 clones have taller seat foam than the Actual Honda. For my granddaughter I trimmed the seat foam down an inch to reach the proper seat height.