Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2016, 11:08 PM   #1

performance cdi worth it?

hello again with more question im hoping lol. im just trying to get all i can out of my bike and was looking into the cdi i found a few performance cdi's that claim they will remove the rev limiter and adjust the timing curve i think. is this all bs or do these actually work and are they even worth the $15-20 they cost? and if so im assuming i just would need to get an ac 6 pin for a zongshen 250 on a gy-2 thanks so much in advance.

also minor question also saw "performance coils" these i assumed are bs but i may be wrong(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1U821NO27576X)

Old 08-10-2016, 12:02 AM   #2

For the most part stock cdi will work better then most performance cdi's. Typically all they do it make it hard to start. I've had good experience with no rev limit cdi's and the ones you adjust are neat but don't always last. If you do buy a cdi be aware that there are dc and ac fired cdi's.

The hot coils are kind of in line with cdis' yes it should give you more spark if it's really what is says it is not just a stock coil with orange or red wire. My whole thing is if you can get one for ~$7 why not see if makes it run better. I've had some that work great. But they are always a point of contention. Some say they don't last as long as stock coils either. Here is one that should work for you from a great seller. The one you have above is for a gy6 the engine used in just about every Chinese 4 stroke scooter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281201847050

Old 08-10-2016, 12:25 AM   #3

Forget that coil, TOTAL rubbish...
Get something like

One of the proven copycats costs at least ~$6 https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=8437571172 inside China

Old 08-10-2016, 02:13 AM   #4

I have a NGK spark plug cable on my KX 125. It replaced the stock one that was causing the bike to miss fire.

Old 08-10-2016, 03:55 AM   #5

I have an ngk sticker on my truck ,it's a grey truck so the sticker looks good .I don't need no stinking six dollar orange ignition coil ,the sticker is fast and it was free ,and my dog likes it too .

Old 08-10-2016, 10:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerickw View Post
hello again with more question im hoping lol. im just trying to get all i can out of my bike and was looking into the cdi i found a few performance cdi's that claim they will remove the rev limiter and adjust the timing curve i think. is this all bs or do these actually work and are they even worth the $15-20 they cost? and if so im assuming i just would need to get an ac 6 pin for a zongshen 250 on a gy-2 thanks so much in advance.

also minor question also saw "performance coils" these i assumed are bs but i may be wrong(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1U821NO27576X)
have you already changed out the original spark plug for an Iridium one? Like an NGK. After that, did you change out the spark plug wire for a high quality one? You've re-jetted or changed carburetors? Added a performance exhaust system? If you've done that, then you might want to experiment with a different coil or cdi.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonone View Post
For the most part stock cdi will work better then most performance cdi's. Typically all they do it make it hard to start. I've had good experience with no rev limit cdi's and the ones you adjust are neat but don't always last. If you do buy a cdi be aware that there are dc and ac fired cdi's.

The hot coils are kind of in line with cdis' yes it should give you more spark if it's really what is says it is not just a stock coil with orange or red wire. My whole thing is if you can get one for ~$7 why not see if makes it run better. I've had some that work great. But they are always a point of contention. Some say they don't last as long as stock coils either. Here is one that should work for you from a great seller. The one you have above is for a gy6 the engine used in just about every Chinese 4 stroke scooter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281201847050
agreed.... I did a performance coil (helped a bit) and a blue aluminum finned performace csi, and the bike gets very hard to start with the cdi... forget electric start and start kicking. .. but if you get it running, there's a bit of a ttorque boost.... I removed it in favor of my stock non rev limited cdi, because I daily drive the bike and like the e start....LOL

Old 08-10-2016, 11:28 AM   #8

I've messed with aftermarket CDI's, but I've gone back to stockers. I've studied ignition curve theory enough to understand that an adjustable CDI could give me a little more power throughout the RPM range, but I'm totally happy with how the bike performs right now. I'd rather take the route that leads to greater longevity, which is a rev limiter.

I've installed NKG plug wires before. I'm not sure that there is a performance improvement; I did it for reliability. They are much more supple in cold weather, whereas the stock plug wires get quite stiff. The cool part is that the stock wire unscrews from the coil, so you're not splicing wires.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-10-2016, 03:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I've messed with aftermarket CDI's, but I've gone back to stockers. I've studied ignition curve theory enough to understand that an adjustable CDI could give me a little more power throughout the RPM range, but I'm totally happy with how the bike performs right now. I'd rather take the route that leads to greater longevity, which is a rev limiter.

I've installed NKG plug wires before. I'm not sure that there is a performance improvement; I did it for reliability. They are much more supple in cold weather, whereas the stock plug wires get quite stiff. The cool part is that the stock wire unscrews from the coil, so you're not splicing wires.
I agree. But maybe peace of mind is worth something here. A name brand spark plug, with a name brand plug wire hopefully reduces the number of variables in the ignition system that can cause hard to find problems - like infrequent misses.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:01 PM   #10

I'm with you that China rubber is generally not good. Don't get me started on some the stories I've heard about China conveyor belts.
Clone / china spark plugs are not good as they skimp on materials.
People swear up and down that the NGK boots are the best thing ever I suppose they are better but they have never achieved a noticeable difference for me. Yes the material is superior and plug boot design maybe better. They may help reliability as do new china coils. It just always amuses me that you are leaving part of the suspect wire in place. I guess it's one of those things that make more sense if you don't read it to it too much. Real world vs paper. I guess if you had to explain it the theory would be the less original wire the less total resistance and thus less drop.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonone View Post
It just always amuses me that you are leaving part of the suspect wire in place.
Which part would that be?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-11-2016, 01:28 AM   #12

Part of the original plug wire on the coil side.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:33 AM   #13

I unscrew and remove the old wire completely. If you peel back the rubber boot, you'll see that the wire is not bonded to the coil, and it is removable. Simply screw the new wire in place, and there's no weak link.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:53 AM   #14

I've done that once or twice I've seen a couple that were crimped in to place so they needed some persuasion. In any case most of the people installing these just cut the cable put on the coupling and new wire/ boot. Those are typically the people who tell the world you can't live with the stock wire.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
Forget that coil, TOTAL rubbish...
Get something like

One of the proven copycats costs at least ~$6 https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=8437571172 inside China
I so need the blue one.... match my Yamaha's

for $6 there nothing to lose ...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com