Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2019, 12:59 PM   #1

Head Scratching Hi Y'all

Hi, I'm a long time road bike rider looking to get into the dual sport action now. I'm still scoping out the right bike for me but at the moment I'm leaning towards the Brozz 250 because it's no hassle to get registered in the sunny state of Florida and I like the seat height. However, I've got someone trying to talk me out of it stating that an air cooled bike wont do what I want it to do. I'm planning frequent 40 mile road trips, camp, then hit the trails in the morning. That's my idea of what I want an enduro to do. Does anyone else here ride like that? Thoughts?

--
Xecronix

Old 07-15-2019, 08:15 PM   #2

Welcome aboard

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 07-15-2019, 09:47 PM   #3

Welcome aboard.
I purchased a TAO TBR7 on June 15, and had it running and licensed by the end of June. I am modifying it now for Florida. It came with CA emissions, and sprocket ratio best for off road. First I changed the sprockets using Motocheez suggestions - motor sprocket up one, wheel sprocket down one. I ordered an upgraded carb with jet kit which has arrived. That will be my next project to tackle. I ordered a digital speedometer using the suggestion from Motocheez, and it will come in later this week. The stock speedo is so very off - 10-12 mph off - 70 is really 56, 30 is 25. The new speedo is plus/minus 1 mph.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:14 AM   #4

Welcome! I purchased the bms250, and you can read my posts, as well as posts from northrider. I also think the blue eagle brozz is also a good choice. Many of the china riders have had excellent luck with the air cooled engine, and some have oil coolers added. There are many experienced fellows here, that are very knowledgeable and kind.
Also a fellow by the name of herbie has a brozz, and has done some mods, check out his posts. There are several good choices of bikes to choose from, good luck and keep us posted and post some pixs of your choice!
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Old 07-16-2019, 09:14 AM   #5

I didn't think of adding an oil cooler. That's a great idea.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:26 AM   #6

Hello and welcome, I purchased my Blue Eagle Brozz a couple of months ago from Peace Sports in Georgia, great place to buy from IMHO. The Brozz is a nice bike and will do what you are wanting to do but let me say this. If you are expecting it to compete with the Japanese counterparts you will be disappointed. The Brozz is a nice bike for the money and less expensive than the Japanese bikes out there. I’m falling in love with mine the more I’m riding and making changes to suit me. I’m making mine more for the road then trails but I will be doing some of that as well. I added a tail bag, cup holder, ram ball mount for gps and I have a windshield coming as we speak. You can ride the Brozz the way that it comes and be happy the only two things I would say is a must is doing an air box mod and rejet the carb. Both of those things can be done in about an hour and cost would be small maybe $10. Again you could ride it the way it comes that’s totally up to you. Parts are very cheap in price and some are available on eBay others you have to get from websites coming from China so it takes a while to get those. There is a member here on the forum that sells some things as well. Good luck with your search, if I could be of any help just message and I’ll help if I can

Old 07-16-2019, 09:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xecronix View Post
I didn't think of adding an oil cooler. That's a great idea.
The oil cooler will extend the life span of the oil and engine. I have dual coolers but not necessary.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 07-16-2019, 12:05 PM   #8

welcome!!! for 2 years i made a 70 mi commute round trip every day of the summer on my 200cc air cooled bike... all back roads but averaging 55-60 mph in upstate NY....

Old 07-16-2019, 01:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
welcome!!! for 2 years i made a 70 mi commute round trip every day of the summer on my 200cc air cooled bike... all back roads but averaging 55-60 mph in upstate NY....
Thanks. That's what I expect also. 40 miles is about an hour on the back roads. I would think that would be OK.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:55 PM   #10

It's about 100 miles from my place to the mountains I like to visit... and another 100 miles back home... plus all the miles and hours I ride for on/around the mountain/4x4 trails.

The engine will easily see an 8 to 14 hour day worth of riding going upwards of 500 miles on those days... some say a "lowly China bike" is not up to a short 50 minute work day

The amount of abuse* I put our Bashan 200 through, I'm surprised anyone actually kills their Chinese built moto

* Long hours, high speeds/RPMs (60 to 80 mph) to and from home, frequent temp and altitude changes (5k to 13k feet above sea level), riding through water/mud crossings with a UNI Pod filter (no air box), rocky hill climbs that most Jeep and KTM/Beta owners turn away from, all that with no oil cooler installed (yet)

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:35 PM   #11

The oil cooler isn't necessary unless you start modding your bike and doing things like changing the timing or increasing the compression. Even then it isn't absolutely necessary, but it does make a difference. I just hit the 500 mile mark since installing my big oil cooler and the oil still has a golden color to it. By this point it was usually black.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 07-17-2019, 01:03 PM   #12

Azhule….megadan….jerry....as always thanks for your input and support! There is a lot more great people here that deserve a thanks as well! It is amazing what these bikes and engines will do, for the investment, and the reward of the enjoyment. Many posts, here, about longevity. A throttle sensation as we call it, and some fresh open air breeze, yes the reward of some needed enjoyment!!!
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Old 07-17-2019, 03:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedooit View Post
Azhule….megadan….jerry....as always thanks for your input and support!
Yes! Thanks for your input and support. You made the decision to grab one of these bikes easy. I'm looking forward to doing some of the mods I'm reading about on this forum. Currently I'm envisioning panniers, 12 volt power outlet, 520 chain and sprockets, carb and jets, oil cooler, an over-sized luggage rack, and something to hold my fishing pole as I explore the trails, lakes, rivers, creeks, and ponds.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:52 AM   #14

Post some pictures and keep us updated, and any input would always help others. Again, welcome!

Old 07-24-2019, 11:19 AM   #15

Welcome!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer