Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2018, 03:37 AM   #31

Updating the list from above now that the Capri project has been canceled. Meaning this will become more of project vehicle. it will still pull the trailer occasionally. However i have located another heavier duty truck to pair with the trailer as well. Ironically that one is another Square body GM.

Anyways on to the list to cross items off of it:

New parts that have ended up on or at least with it while Ian had it:

New calipers and brake pads
New Alternator and Voltage regulator. (He did say he changed both a few times but could never get it to charge. I suspect a connection issue such as ground as i had similar problems with an old Dodge)
Changed the carb for one off of a Thunderbird (mostly because the tbird carb was in better shape)
Rear brake cylinders

Parts i have acquired through some horse trading:

Ignition switch lock cylinder
Door lock cylinders
Possibly a better matched carb

All these parts are coming from a friends '76 F150 in the near future

Matched tires and wheels, Got these from a '92 Dodge D250 via a deal where i am posting a Kijiji ad for a friend. Hopefully i will get to that tomorrow as today was spent working on my PC to get it reliable again. Fingers crossed that these wheels clear the brakes. I am at the point i am not opposed to the idea of spacers if needed however i suspect they may just work out as they look a lot like the split rims minus the split ring. Bonus points for possibly being able to use the original hubcaps!

Parts it will need to be driveable:

Flex hoses
Fuel tank clean
Fuel pump
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 07-17-2018, 11:10 AM   #32

May we see the rims?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-17-2018, 04:10 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
May we see the rims?

I will get pics of them once i pick them up. Here is a pic of an OE replacement wheel i got off of rock auto. They look a lot like them other then being silver for two of them and two of them being white.

'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 08-03-2018, 01:46 AM   #34

So i had picked up some 17" tires awhile ago originally with the intent of running them on my C10 or Patriot. After some thought i am pretty sure i may end up running them on the F250. They are 245/65R17 Goodyear Wranglers that came off of a Explorer sport trac. They are rated for around 2100lbs/tire with 51 psi max pressure. A bit light for any serious work but for driving the truck as a toy for the most part they should be fine. It is looking like i will be going back to the idea of this truck being the tow rig for the trailer so if i know i am going to be towing something i can at the very least swap on the Dodge 16" rims with the LT tires on them.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 08-07-2018, 08:35 AM   #35

Ok a bit of a shift in developments with this truck. Not going to be running the 17" tires as they are too light for it. My search for new front fenders kind of added to the change in direction as well. The early twin i beam trucks like this are a popular platform for prerunner and baja race trucks. I happened to remember this earlier this morning and coupled with the fact i have wanted to build a Prerunner for years...since i was a teen in fact... Well this old Ford will be going the Class 8 style build. Mild lift with raised wheel openings on the front fenders. It was either Class 8 fenders or bulged. Class 8 at least look somewhat stock which will look good with a 2" lift. keeping it mild like this will allow the truck to still be used as a truck. The camper shell will probably see some modifications in the form of a spare tire mount under the bed and a jack mount.

here is a pic of this gen of ford with the fenders i mentioned above.

More then likely will end up with a wrap around tube bumper out front. Basically shooting for a mix of play and work truck.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 03-22-2019, 06:00 PM   #36

Plans shifted a fair bit for this truck. I have gotten ahold of a set of 265/70R17 Wranglers from a friend. The plan is to run some Dodge OE 17" steel wheels with these. I may still replace the front fenders with the fiberglass ones unless i stumble upon some steel replacements. While doing some research on ideas i had some doubts as to if this truck was in fact a Camper Special but i have since confirmed this. Going to be keeping it stock height as well.

Current plan:

Dual Tanks in the form of a Dentside mid ship tank replacing the in cab tank. Along with a Chevy K5 Blazer 31 Gallon tank at the rear for a total of 54 Gallons of fuel. Other possible Dual tank lay out is keeping the In cab tank and adding the mid ship tank. That would net me about 41 gallons.

The camper shell did not work out but that is fine considering i am going to be looking for an older slide in camper. Might as well take advantage of the fact it is a Camper Special and set it up with one.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 04-22-2019, 05:40 PM   #37

A bit of an update since i have had a chance to look the truck over again and have played around with a few different ideas for it. I have confirmed from a Bumpside group that the truck should be fine for towing the trailer i got with it. I had my doubts for a bit but i have since found out where people have pulled a lot more weight with the smaller F100/150 then i am working with.

At the most i will be hauling either one of my C10s or the K5 in the background of the pics on the trailer. So well within the trucks ability. I have acquired a 12 gallon tank of unknown origin and an older aluminum crossover tool box with the floor falling out of it. The floor being shot in the tool box is actually the reason i wanted it. The plan is to finish removing the floor of the box and fit it over the 12 gallon tank in the bed. More then likely i will be replacing the tank that is under the left side of the bed with this tank unless i figure out some sort of way to plumb in all 3 tanks. I may have a means of doing that however based on some ideas that were presented when i was looking at running 3 tanks on one of my old C10s. Basically it will involve running two mechanical valves. One will be used to select between the main in cab tank and the two aux tanks. Of course the second valve will be used to select between the in bed tank and the one under the bed. I have an older Carter electric fuel pump i will be fitting in place of the main mechanical pump. That will be wired on a standalone toggle switch for now till i find a keyed circuit to tap into. After the aux tank and tool box are fitted i will probably fit a bedliner made out of 1/2" or 3/4" plywood to cover up the rusted out bed floor.

Hopefully i will be starting work on the truck within the next couple of weeks to fit up the carter pump and the 12 gal as its main tank for now to get it to a running state where it can be towed to a local shop to get the brakes done. The fuel system and brakes are the biggest things stopping it from being driveable. Other items of course being wheels and tires being fitted and some sort of exhaust. But those items can be dealt with once it is functional.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190417_203124_HDR.jpg (57.5 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg 20190417_203207.jpg (45.1 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg 20190417_203140_HDR.jpg (54.5 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg 20190417_203151_HDR.jpg (56.6 KB, 200 views)
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 10-02-2019, 01:46 PM   #38

Not much of an update but an update none the less. As mentioned in the what did you buy thread i traded off the trailer for a VW beetle. As i also mentioned there i will eventually pick up a different trailer when i am in a better position to do so. So from this point forward this thread will be focused entirely on the truck.

That said i recently acquired an intermittent wiper control set up from a newer F series truck. I need to change one of the pin locations and modify the shaft on the control itself so the knob sits properly in the dash when complete. But none the less it will upgrade this old Bump to have the newer wiper control.

I will be getting that camper shell i posted earlier in this thread after all so the plan there is to modify the bed platform area of it to cover the 12 gallon tank i mentioned before. I am not sure if i will ever end up sleeping in it but at least it will give me an enclosed storage area on the truck.

I also picked up a set of 265/70R17 Goodyear Wranglers for it to deal with the split rims. The plan there is to use a set of 17" steel wheels from a newer Ram to install them. If the steel wheels do not work out i can always use an aftermarket aluminum set to achieve the same goal.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 06-14-2021, 07:31 PM   #39

Bit of an update, Essentially i did find out what gear ratio was in the rear diff which is 3:54. As shown in the What did you buy thread i have recently started working out a deal on a '99 KZ Sportsman 25th anniversary 27 ft 5th wheel camper trailer with a slide out on it. So work to the truck will be focused on getting it ready to pull this trailer. There will be a hitch that comes with it so that saves some expense. I have also got a lead on a brake controller. So to that end it looks like i will need to do the following to the truck.

Install brake controller
Trans cooler
Aux engine cooler
Aluminum transmission oil pan which will allow me to increase capacity a bit as well as fit a probe for a temp gauge. A similar diff cover will most likely get fitted
New carb and fuel pump
17" Wheels to fit the used 17" tires i got for the truck awhile ago.

Air bags on rear suspension.

Eventual plans for the truck.

LED lights
18 gallon aux tank to replace under bed tank

Resized the pic of the trailer to show what the truck is being upgraded to pull

'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote: