Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2019, 07:31 AM   #1

New 2019 RX3 owner. Haven't told the wife yet

Hello to all! First I want to say thank you to all for the wonderful info and stories on here. It really helped shape my purchase.

A quick little about me; I am a long time rider. I carried an AMA super sport liscene for almost 15 years, but my knee eventually forced me out. I didn't ride for almost five years until a friend badgered me into trying a dual sport. I think I kept telling him "I'm not riding a dirt bike with a headlight.". I finally went with him just to shut him up. I bought a KLR 650 that day. And didn't tell my wife. Somehow I'm still married. Anyway, below is a pic of that KLR as it came home, bone stock. In 5 years, I put around 75,000 miles on it. It was a daily rider to say the least.
Then my back messed up and I was in bed for 9 months waiting for insurance to pay for my surgery. Three weeks after my surgery and I was back at work. But I had to sell a lot: boat, bike, car, few firearms. I'm doing great now. Though I will never be as strong as I was or as able I'm ready to ride again.

The second pic is my KLR as it was when sold. Heavily modifided with a 36.5" seat height. I went from 6'2" to 6'0 after my surgery btw. Anyway, the more I looked at the RX3, the more it fit and made sense. I don't have $10,000 to buy and customize another bike, so the price and stock accessories are a definite plus. My back can no longer support some things, like picking up a 565lb motorcycle, or riding that said bike through challenging terrain. The lighter weight of the RX3 is a definite plus. The seat height doesn't really bother me as my KLR was 36.5" and the RX3 is only 31".

Finally there is reliability. I am a long time mechanical guy. Without any hubris, I am almost a mechanical savant. I poured over this and other fourms looking for and at issues that have been encountered and dealt with. The more I looked, the more I felt like these were good machines.
Last week I reached out to CSC and started the ball rolling. Sara is great. With the black Friday pricing and the 2019 discounts, I ended up ordered one. I was a little hesitant in case the 2020's were an upgrade. Sara assured me, "same thing, different paint and stickers".

So I had the taller top box swapped in, heated grips, wolfman tank bag and handguards installed. Also ordered extra oil filters. I have a longer shift lever, led H4 headlight, USB port, and tank guard on the way from eBay and Amazon. All for LESS THAN THE STOCK KLR!!

I plan on riding everyday, so I am going to try the stock battery. And as I ride it I will figure out things like GPS, RAM mounts, wireless phone charger/ cradles, different pegs, etc.. I am an active rider, and I plan on keeping posted here my thoughts and impressions. I was very active on the KLR owners forum and I plan on trying to be here as well.

Then there is this. It should be here next Thursday. I still haven't told my wife. My brother says I might get to spend more time with it than I would like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo(2).jpg (20.3 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170519_100546.jpg (99.3 KB, 179 views)

Old 11-27-2019, 08:18 AM   #2

Welcome Aboard! You Haven't told the wife yet? We have a few members in your area that might take you in. lol Nice looking bikes.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-27-2019, 11:10 AM   #3

Welcome! Cool KLR. I have a baby KLR that I haven't assembled yet; I presume it will be nothing like the 650.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-27-2019, 11:16 AM   #4

Welcome Ace. Great informative post. Looking forward to your future post.

Old 11-27-2019, 04:52 PM   #5

I was at CSC the other day - was good to look around n see the slight changes with Older models/China models and the current 2019 or so USA models.
Slight small changes that make small improvements.

Old 11-28-2019, 07:42 AM   #6

Thank you for the welcome. It looks like Friday will be delivery day. Hopefully they can drop it off early so I can get it uncrated, tested then tagged. Otherwise I might have to take off Monday to get it tagged. I was really hoping to ride it (legally) that weekend. I will take pics and post the, so don't worry.