Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2016, 08:57 AM   #1

Ran Out of Gas!

So riding the interstate at basically WOT for a full tank got me just shy of 160 miles. This works out to 45mpg. I was also fighting a pretty heavy head wind head down highway 17 into Phoenix. I can confirm the gas tank is 3.5 gallons when filled from empty.

I was in PHX and felt the pending sputter, I was able to pull off and coast into the nearest Shell Station. Only had to paddle walk the last 50ft or so. Worked out perfectly!

Anyone else run the tank dry yet?

I was riding all day at basically wide open throttle pace into a pretty stiff head wind. Was getting 45mpg at each fill up.

Old 03-12-2016, 10:30 AM   #2

Here's is my post from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk47 View Post
I had read this comment by the OP but unfortunately had forgotten it.

I confirmed his comment this past week, the hard way. I had figured that with a 4.2 gallon tank and 60+ mpg on the first two tanks of fuel that I could get 240+ miles on the tank. So I was scheduled to pull into my local station that sells E0 at 220 miles.

Well, at 205 miles the engine started missing, and at 206 it was done. After an aborted attempt to get fuel from AAA - they sent the guy to the wrong county - I was able to get ahold of my wife. I asked her to bring me exactly one gallon, which she was able to do. More good news - the bike started up right away. It stumbled a bit the first few miles and then ran normal.

After 14.6 miles I was at my E0 gas station and filled up with 2.815 gallons. That works out to 55.6 mpg. I realized that I was probably easier on the throttle during early break-in, and more aggressive now. Figuring in the fuel I burned getting to the gas station it works out to a 3.6 gallon tank - with (important) the way I fill it. There is a tube in the filler neck; I usually fill such that the fuel is about one half inch below the bottom edge of the tube. (Next time I fill I will try to see how much more it takes to fill to the bottom of the tube, and post an update.)

Edit: I remembered that I did this last fill-up with the bike on the centerstand, usually I do it on the sidestand. So I went out and checked - the fill level was about the same both ways. I think that if you were to want to get as much fuel in the tank as possible filling while on the sidestand would get more because the tube is angled and therefore higher on one side to let more air out/fuel in.

Old 03-12-2016, 12:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3banger View Post
So riding the interstate at basically WOT for a full tank got me just shy of 160 miles. This works out to 45mpg. I was also fighting a pretty heavy head wind head down highway 17 into Phoenix. I can confirm the gas tank is 3.5 gallons when filled from empty.

I was in PHX and felt the pending sputter, I was able to pull off and coast into the nearest Shell Station. Only had to paddle walk the last 50ft or so. Worked out perfectly!

Anyone else run the tank dry yet?

I was riding all day at basically wide open throttle pace into a pretty stiff head wind. Was getting 45mpg at each fill up.
Yes, I ran the tank dry with about 245 miles on the trip odometer. Fortunately, I coasted to a stop near a farm. The farmer gave me an unknown amount of fuel from a jerry can, which easily transported me the five miles to the nearest fuel pump.

As several of us have verified, you can run the fuel tank dry without frying the fuel pump. However, we will prolong the life of the fuel pump if we always try to keep it submersed in 1/2-gallon of fuel. Therefore, it's best to plan on refueling after you use 3 gallons of gas.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-12-2016, 01:35 PM   #4

Gearing?

3B, which sprockets are you running?

Old 03-12-2016, 02:08 PM   #5

It's a shame we lose .7 gallons from spec.

150-175 isn't the greatest range for an ADV bike.

Anyone rigged spare fuel to you bike? I'm looking at a fuel bladder to use on the trip to Newfoundland since I'll be riding with a KLR and those things go 250-300 miles to a tank.

It's possible were going to have a CSC TT on the trip as well since my dad just bought one and may use it on that trip. Or I'll take the MG Stelvio and he'll ride the RX3. Stelvio goes 250-250 miles to a tank (8.5 gallons)

Old 03-12-2016, 02:27 PM   #6

I'm running 13/44. Running I-10 from PHX to Blythe into a pretty stiff headwind I just averted 40.6mpg. Basically just over 8k rpm to go 70.

Old 03-12-2016, 03:11 PM   #7

I've bent the fuel float wire down as far as it can go, and that gets me in the 180 - 200 mile range. I won't go past 200 miles until a fill up now, unless I'm running WOT then I'll keep a closer eye on it.

But with the wire bent and me getting to 200 miles, I can confirm a 3.2 gallon fill up, with the fuel pump still covered in fuel.

I feel the tank needs to be a gallon and half larger to be full fledged adventure tourer. I've got a tank expansion welding project in my near future.

Old 03-12-2016, 04:10 PM   #8

63 MPG average for 4,800+ Smiles

I keep track of my fuel mileage on the Fuelly.com web site.

My worst thank has been 58 Mpg, running California Regular.

California has a "Special Blend of gas to cut down on emissions, but it also reduces our MPG, and we therefore burn more fuel. Hard for the politicians to grasp that lower emissions while burning more fuel is a Lose Lose, but since we have the highest fuel prices by about $1/gallon in the country, I think the Oil and Gas Lobby encourages this foolishness.

My tank at 58mpg was running the Freeway at 7-8,000 rpm in some pretty windy conditions. I weigh 240 lbs.

45 MPG would encourage me to check the valves.