Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2015, 06:55 AM   #1

Really ? I thought if I changed to the xr200r motor I would have to use clutch. I knew the compression ratio is 10:2:1 on xr200 and 7:8:1on the 200s. Yeah if this was for me I would want the extra compression but if im not around to pull it ,he's not going to be able too. I should have spent more money to get him electric start. This wheeler was in such nice shape though and i love to bring stuff back from certain death. They were going to scrap it but they wouldn't sell for scrap price though! From what I have learned from exploded diagrams is I think its the spring that makes it return to original position. Thats what I think I was going to take it to someone to get it fixed but I have no idea what it would cost.

motorcycle: lifan dual sport "crankenstein"
Born of parts from all over the globe,laying rubber in a town near you!

Old 12-09-2015, 11:06 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by demidestructo View Post
Really ? I thought if I changed to the xr200r motor I would have to use clutch.
It does. If you study the fiche for the ATV engine, you'll see that it has a clutch like the XR200, but instead of a cable and lever, it is actuated by a centrifugal clutch. The regular clutch lives in the regular spot, but the centrifugal clutch is on the end of the right side of the crank (rider's perspective). That's why the clutch cover is so deep.

If you want electric start, study the 200E, which was a two year only model (1982 and 1983). It has an attachment that sandwiches between the stator cover and the left case, and it houses a starter. The starter lives in front of the engine, which looks like an afterthought.

You can't kick a centrifugal engine of that design, so the pull start (and electric if you wish) must be retained. If the XR200 six speed fits in the bottom end of the ATC (and I'm pretty sure it would), you'd use the ATC crank, case halves, side covers and clutch and stator covers. You'd also use the ATC cylinder head, because the XR200 has a compression release for the kicker.

X2 on doing it yourself. It's a great learning opportunity.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer