Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2015, 06:24 PM   #1696

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
What does the "piston spray hole" do that is mentioned on the first page in the add in post #3 ? thanks, rj
This is a part of the oiling system that pumps oil to the underside of the piston. It does two things
1) adds lubrication to upper end bearing and cylinder walls through bleed holes in the oil scraper ring land
2) cools piston with oil
2001 H-D V-Rod
1999 Ducati 750SS
1997 Yamaha Riva
1995 KTM 250
1970 Honda CB350
1952 Ariel Square four

Old 02-03-2015, 07:35 PM   #1697
Banned

Thus

A VERY long lived and tough engine, amenable to mods, even crazy mods, like turbo's.
EFI, ELK, and the WR250R turbo kit, (with a piston squiter) would be FUN

Old 02-03-2015, 07:43 PM   #1698
Banned

OOps

ELK means EJK (e jet kit).last post. sorry
The extra oil does many things, all good in a highly stressed engine design. My Opinion? "overhead" many things to many people. Of note, The delphi ecu is easiest to decipher and make "EJK'S". (with experience tuning their ecu's that is.) That motor is a BSH, or Brick house built to last, no matter the owners choices for HIS motorcycle.
(IF he does maintainance, of course). No oil changes, spotty valve checks, etc, will sideline, probably many miles after purchase, anyone.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:12 PM   #1699

Quote:
Originally Posted by thillskier View Post
A VERY long lived and tough engine, amenable to mods, even crazy mods, like turbo's.
EFI, ELK, and the WR250R turbo kit, (with a piston squiter) would be FUN
Methanol-water injection with super turbo charging.

Or we can just go to 25% nitromethane!
2001 H-D V-Rod
1999 Ducati 750SS
1997 Yamaha Riva
1995 KTM 250
1970 Honda CB350
1952 Ariel Square four

Old 02-03-2015, 08:28 PM   #1700

Quote:
Originally Posted by katflap View Post
Just me being a twat with ignition lock then

Im trying not to write what's been said a thousand times already but the build is good and solid and the finish is great too in the flesh .

will definitely report back when I have done a few more miles and the tyres, brakes and engine have all bedded in a bit.
Nice looking bike Kat and great color. As Spud said let us have everything and whatever you might want to share. There are very few first hand reports in English so i anxiously await your experiences.

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Old 02-04-2015, 12:02 AM   #1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
It might be fun to put a pair of BMW stickers on the RX3, even for a short while. I'm sure they would be great conversation starters.
Sacrilege!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-04-2015, 12:07 AM   #1702

Quote:
Well it arrived
and I am loving this bike
So envious! Congrats on your new bike.

Do you think the brake fluid has air in it? Perhaps it's worth bleeding the front brake to see if the lever doesn't hit the grip.

I'm with Spud; I bet that most Yamaha steering locks are like that. My old XS650S was the same.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-04-2015, 12:09 AM   #1703

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjr21 View Post
Or we can just go to 25% nitromethane!
I love the smell of Nitro in the morning!

Old 02-04-2015, 09:50 AM   #1704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I love the smell of Nitro in the morning!
It smells like...victory.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-04-2015, 10:02 AM   #1705
Banned

Beautiful bike for sure!

We are all anxious to see and hear your experience(s) with your new beauty! Definitely makes me want mine that much more!! Patience tho, for me. Gotta get better and it needs to WARM UP some (A LOT, really!

Old 02-04-2015, 12:58 PM   #1706

rX3 fall down

katflap, was wondering to how the RX3 feels with a full tank of gas as far as being top heavy? If I tip it over will I be able to pick it up if by myself (I'm a little fella) on the back side of civilization? Thinking of if it just tips over in a parking lot, how easy is it to get it back up? Been riding Versys and NC700x so I've got tip overs scratched of the "bucket list" but you never know. Thanks, rj

Old 02-04-2015, 03:14 PM   #1707

Quote:
Well it arrived
and I am loving this bike

Its just as well I wear a full face helmet so I could hide the ridiculous grin on my face when I went for my first ride

I haven't had much time to get out on it yet but here is a quick pic . I will try and do some more interesting ones in the future

A few points so far

(As you may remember I have upgraded from a 125cc , also my RX3 is standard model without the upgrades you guys are getting.)

Pros
-----
the ride is great, no nasty surprises, solid on the road without feeling heavy even when stationary the extra 50kg really isn't that noticeable.

Nice riding position

The wind screen works well keeping the wind off but i'm sure taller riders will benefit from the bigger screen.

Keeping up with traffic is a breeze, it quickly makes progress when needed

Cons ( im being picky here )
--------------------------------------

The speedo does seem to read high ( I will get my gps on it soon and compare )

The front brake lever pulls in quite tight to the handle bar throttle grip .Though not a problem for me, some riders with big hands or a different grasp of break lever and throttle might get their fingers caught.

Notes
---------

Getting in to neutral at stops e.g. traffic lights -

No different from a lot of other bikes , a quick blip of the throttle, let the clutch out a bit and it slips in to neutral nicely.

Steering lock -

turn off ignition , push key down , let it come back up then turn to the left.

this had me foxed for a while because on my Suzuki you have to push the key down and turn to the left while keeping it pushed down !
Congrats on getting your bike, Katflap. Could you tell us, please, what size spanners we need to remove the wheels? I'm getting my tool kit set up. Thanks!

Old 02-04-2015, 04:27 PM   #1708

Out for a quick ride today passing through Cheddar Gorge ( where Cheddar cheese first came from ). Some good bends to negotiate .The bike handled these without problem at a nice pace . No peg grinding here ! have to keep an eye out for sheep on the road.

Turns out i cant take photos for shit , they will get better !

THe arrow points to Glastonbury Tor, historic place linked to the myths of King Arthur . will take a closer look some time in the future.

rode with gps and the speedo seems to be reading about 10 mph higher than gps speed

@ Weldangrind --
I guess there could be a bit of air in the brake but the lever doesnt "pump up" like a car foot brake does when theres air in the system .The lever doesnt hit the grip but gets quite close nearing the end of the lever when hard braking. I tend to grip the throttle with my thumb and index finger with my other fingers on the brake lever so not a problem.
If it turns out theres no air in the system then perhaps an adjustable lever will be the solution for people who take a different grip on throttle and brake lever.

@ rjmorel --
ok ,,,, deep breath !,,,, i wasnt going to mention this but i have already dropped my bike

it envolved the retractable side stand ( UK, EU law if no side stand kill switch fitted ) its still to soon to go into detail about it

Im 5'8'', 150lb of wind and piss . I managed to pick the bike up with a bit of a struggle with a full tank .That said i was that pi**ed of with my self i probably could of flipped a car on to its roof.
side stand now modified !

@ G19Tony ---
i will have to get back to you here with spanner sizes for wheels.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:39 PM   #1709

Easiest way to take a decent photo is having the light source behind you.

You had the sun in front so it put the entire bike in the shade and it washes out. The second image actually had direct light from the sun onto the lens so that is why you got the rainbow glare.
2001 H-D V-Rod
1999 Ducati 750SS
1997 Yamaha Riva
1995 KTM 250
1970 Honda CB350
1952 Ariel Square four

Old 02-04-2015, 06:33 PM   #1710

Quote:
Out for a quick ride today passing through Cheddar Gorge ( where Cheddar cheese first came from ). Some good bends to negotiate .The bike handled these without problem at a nice pace . No peg grinding here ! have to keep an eye out for sheep on the road. ...

...rode with gps and the speedo seems to be reading about 10 mph higher than gps speed ...
Thanks for posting the nice photographs, and more of your initial impressions of the motorcycle.

Did you get a rear wheel with a cush hub? If you have time, please do take some measurements of the counter shaft sprocket, and the rear sprocket, if the bike has a cush hub. What is the number of teeth on each sprocket?

I would like to start some research to determine which sprockets from other motorcycles are compatible with the RX3. This is why I would love to get measurements similar to those shown below.

P.S. I love cheddar cheese!

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894