Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-01-2023, 06:20 PM   #1

Doh! My motorcycle accident this weekend

Backstory: Friday, I was leaving work in the BMW Z4 and failed to avoid some piece of metal in the road. Two popped tires, one bent wheel that Discount Tire has been trying to get from the manufacturer (Drag).

Buddy from work had invited me to a restaurant on Sunday to celebrate his promotion, and I had no other option but to ride the Templar X. It was an overcast day with a breeze so I was enjoying the ride! Being that I have poor navigational abilities, I stopped a few times to double-check myself.

If only I had been more confident, because the last stop I made was very close to the destination. I pulled into an empty parking lot to check GPS, then was preparing to leave the parking lot. Either used a little too much throttle or was on paint, but the rear tire slid out so quickly I didn't have time to do anything but fall right there in the parking lot. Right onto my left hip. EMT guy rolled the gurney right into my leg.

I had surgery Monday morning for my shattered hip, getting a titanium implant. Today I was finally able to get out of the hospital bed, but it's been an agonizing experience and I've never had so much pain in my life--nor such persistent pain.

The first night in this hospital I was stuck on my side in a fetal position, and remained stuck in that position until surgery. The morning of surgery, a nurse comes in and yoinks the blanket off my left leg. My screams woke up my girlfriend who already had to listen to me in agony nearly all night. Oh, and they don't allow you to eat or drink the day before surgery, so after my 50+ minute ride in over 100 degree weather to a restaurant that I was saving my appetite for, I had to remain absolutely starving and dehydrated.

Waking up in pain over and over again, begging for some type of relief... it has been a real treat of existence. Wear hip armor, get GPS talking into your ear, whichever lesson you want to learn from me to avoid getting into this situation. Can't wait to see all that medical debt that we fortunate Americans can never avoid!

Tags
accident, broken, fall, hospital, pain