Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Reviews
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2010, 09:40 PM   #16

Weldangrind, thanks for helping out. I have the photo thing figured out thanks to your tip. In the process of updating now, and will post the next part of my review.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:24 PM   #17

Part 3 Assembly

I got in a bit of a hurry last night, so I didn't document every step of the assembly, but it's very straight forward. We used a floor jack to put the bike up in the air enough to install the front wheel. There are spacers for each side, and the speedometer drive hub that have to be aligned while sliding the axle through. I also used a bit of Moly grease on the axle, then tighten down the 2 hex head axle pinch bolts. There is a bolt to attach the lower shock to the fulcrum cam, another to attach the rear brake pedal, and you have 3 screws to bolt on the front fender. You also need to attach to bolts to the headlight assembly, and one each for 2 turn signals that don't come attached.

I did notice that the air filter is a paper unit. These work fine, but need replacement eventually if you don't protect them. I used a rolled up piece of house air conditioner filter as a pre-filter. A bit of oil on this would give even more protection in dusty, sandy, and other off-road conditions.

Stock filter.

My pre-filter solution.

The first thing that really stands out is how beautiful, and impressive the engine looks.

Other side.

The forks are beefy! Lots of travel too...

Lots of bite here.

Overall look and quality is impressive for a bike in this price range!

Old 05-04-2010, 10:38 PM   #18

hensim

Just an opinion, but you may restrict too much airflow by rolling that foam up and stuffing it in the hole.I have done the same on some bikes ,but with just 1 flat pc. across the opening.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Just an opinion, but you may restrict too much airflow by rolling that foam up and stuffing it in the hole.I have done the same on some bikes ,but with just 1 flat pc. across the opening.
I checked it for airflow using a piece of pvc. No difference with or without it. I may end up going with a UNI filter eventually.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:50 PM   #20

hensim

good news, didn't want the new bike to run crappy,from that .Great bike I wanted one bad ,but Tim could not confirm if I would be able to register it here in PA,as I've heard the MSO papers say off road on them ,and that would be a no go here, so I went with the zong.Can't wait for the running and ride review.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:02 PM   #21

Part 4 General observations and initial ride

The engine came filled with oil, but was just a bit low. I topped it off with about a pint of Valvoline 10w 40. As the specs say, the gas tank holds just about exactly 3.2 gallons. This should give the bike pretty excellent range.

I put the choke on, turned on the ignition, and expected to have to crank it for a while. To my surprise the engine started almost instantly! Wow, what a nice sounding engine! Absolutely sounds like a Honda 250, and I'd have to say the engine alone is worth the price I paid. Ready to idle almost right away, and seemed to run nice and cool. The first run was about 15 minutes, and I took it very easy running through the gears. Very smooth engine and crisp shifting transmission.

I reduced the files size by about 90% so it would play better...

Old 05-04-2010, 11:09 PM   #22

Quote:
good news, didn't want the new bike to run crappy,from that .Great bike I wanted one bad ,but Tim could not confirm if I would be able to register it here in PA,as I've heard the MSO papers say off road on them ,and that would be a no go here, so I went with the zong.Can't wait for the running and ride review.
Ummm.... No, the Certificate of Origin does not say Off-Road anywhere, and in fact this bike is 49 state legal. The only state that has a problem with it is California. I have already posted the link to the EPA, and DOT certification document on this vehicle.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:54 PM   #23

Thanks for posting the great photos, and video, VTR! Your Hensim 250 Enduro look great. We eagerly await your ride reports.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-05-2010, 12:47 AM   #24

Looks alot better than the old-style GY200's. It sounds great, too. Like I predicted before, now that you have vouched for them, see how many members and new members will order these in the next few months. Like Tim's Hi-Bird GY250 from a few years ago, these will soon sell out, and we will most likely never see them again

Perhaps, Hensim can be convinced how popular these could be by calling them. When I called last week, I did not get the guy's name, but he was nice and patient, and perhaps if enough people keep calling, Hensim could possibly get a fresh supply to keep these available, even if they can't be bought and sold in California where Hensim USA are located. Start a call in campaign...

(909) 548-0051

Hensim USA Headquarters:
5270 Edison Ave
Chino, CA 91710
USA
Phone: (909) 548-0051
Fax: (909) 548-0055
Email: info@hensimusa.com

Old 05-05-2010, 12:50 AM   #25

BTW, vtr99, the green looks great--better in your photos than VBike's photos!!

Old 05-05-2010, 02:28 AM   #26

Re: Part 4 General observations and initial ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtr99
The engine came filled with oil, but was just a bit low. I topped it off with about a pint of Valvoline 10w 40.
I recommend that you dump that oil right away; it's not necessarily motorcycle oil, and it's only there for shipping purposes. I use four stroke motorcycle oil only. I happen to prefer synthetic, but that's up to you.

Nice machine! There's power hiding in that muffler (ask me how I know).

What kind of ale is in the box on the shelf?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-05-2010, 03:38 AM   #27

Quote:
I recommend that you dump that oil right away; it's not necessarily motorcycle oil, and it's only there for shipping purposes. I use four stroke motorcycle oil only. I happen to prefer synthetic, but that's up to you.

Nice machine! There's power hiding in that muffler (ask me how I know).

What kind of ale is in the box on the shelf?
I ran the engine for about 30 minutes total today, and drained the oil. Didn't see any metal, or anything unexpected. I plan to run plain 10w 40 Valvoline for the first 500 miles, then switch over to Mobil 1 full synthetic. Basically the same thing I do with every engine I own.

The ale is Budweiser American Ale... One of my favorites. I give it an A-, not as good as the old Michelob Dark, but pretty darn good.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29/43118
http://www.budamericanale.com/pub/american-ale.aspx

Old 05-05-2010, 03:48 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtr99
...The ale is Budweiser American Ale... One of my favorites. I give it an A-, not as good as the old Michelob Dark, but pretty darn good.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29/43118
http://www.budamericanale.com/pub/american-ale.aspx
If you enjoy Anheuser Busch products, you might enjoy reading the following thread.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=9662

Once again, thank you for posting this excellent thread on the Hensim 250 Enduro; we have been patiently waiting for someone to give this bike a decent review! We eagerly await your riding impressions, both on the street, and on the trail.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-05-2010, 03:53 AM   #29

Quote:
Looks alot better than the old-style GY200's. It sounds great, too. Like I predicted before, now that you have vouched for them, see how many members and new members will order these in the next few months. Like Tim's Hi-Bird GY250 from a few years ago, these will soon sell out, and we will most likely never see them again
I can say for sure this bike puts my old 200GY to shame as far as build quality goes. Fit and finish isn't perfect, but you can't really expect perfection for a grand. So far the engine looks and runs every bit as good as a Honda. Thing runs like a swiss watch. Reminds me of my 350X engine, although it doesn't pull as hard.

Hensim still makes the exact same bike, it's just a matter of who imports them. There are a number of dealers that stock parts for this bike, but since Tim has all the spare parts there is no point in going anywhere else. For that matter, I don't expect to need any spare parts for a long time.
I'm just hoping Tim gets some 400 size machines at a decent price. If he does, I plan to get one for myself and give this 250 to my son.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:07 AM   #30

Quote:
If you enjoy Anheuser Busch products, you might enjoy reading the following thread.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=9662

Once again, thank you for posting this excellent thread on the Hensim 250 Enduro; we have been patiently waiting for someone to give this bike a decent review! We eagerly await your riding impressions, both on the street, and on the trail.

Spud
Keep those links coming! Thanks!

I plan to give a detailed riding review as soon as I get some real time in the saddle. I'm going to get it inspected this week, and will be able to get more riding in once it's street legal.