Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2009, 08:27 PM   #16

I suppose that's one way of looking at it, it also depends on the size of the city the dealership is in too though, because obviously a smaller city would likely sell less bikes. Doesn't power house dealers have to sell all Honda products though? I don't really know the details though, but it is bad for the little guy, and the smaller cities.

Granted, we have Holeshot just 20-25mins down the highway in Langley, but they are also selling Kawasaki and Suzuki I believe, not sure how it works, I think they only have Honda bikes.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:48 PM   #17

A Honda Powerhouse dealer sells Honda only...........

As I said, if a current dealer has the "numbers" (sales in line with the local population base), they aren't going to mess with that. If the market is big enough to merit they want an exclusive.

They will mess with you though, if they feel your premises aren't up to standard, the days of selling ANY Japanese motorcycle out of an old car garage/converted store are done (and have been done for quite a while now).

As always, the exception is, if there is someone waiting in the wings with a wad of cash. They have no qualms about "parachuting" someone in with the cash, closing a under performing dealer.

Honda dealerships are sought after items.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:16 PM   #18

I think these guys have been a Honda dealer in that location for about 40 years.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:44 AM   #19

Yes, they've been around for awhile. About four years ago, they decided to carry Lifan products, and I think that was a nail in the coffin. Honda threatened to pull the distributorship, unless 3-D got rid of the Lifans. 3-D stopped buying Lifans, but the damage to the relationship was done. Too bad. Maybe 3-D will get back into Suzukis; they were a dealer in the nineties, and there is no other Suzuki dealer in town now.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-16-2009, 05:46 AM   #20

Ahhhhhh Suzuki. Suzuki does the dealer "thing" a bit different (from the other 3), I don't know if it is the GM involvement with Suzuki, or just the way they have decided to "do it", but combined with rapid obsolescence of product (meaning: NO parts after 5 years), no support of Suzuki branded product that they have decided not to support (I have a Suzuki lawn mower that is an orphan) I would not touch a Suzuki dealership. I do a fair amount of business with folks that handle Suzuki product here locally (for other reasons) and the BS is wide and long. There is a reason Suzuki was dropped, buy the boss there a beer, and ask.

The wheel has turned, these manufacturers do not want "motorcycle types" involved with their product, they want what they perceive to be "businessmen".

Old 07-16-2009, 09:04 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveeen
(I have a Suzuki lawn mower that is an orphan)
Try Toro Lawnboy for mower parts. They used suzuki engines on alot of the eighties and nineties walk behinds.

Back to the Honda thing. I don't really care for the "businessman" dealer experience.

The dealer close to me in Athens, GA sells Honda and Harley Davidson. I think they carry Yamaha too.

The service was decent there, but expensive.

Now I suppose they are looking to get into the Harley Boutique type of store.

Allen

Old 07-16-2009, 12:21 PM   #22

I didn't see any when I was there, but talking to the Konker distributor (Qingqi/Qlink), I was told that 3D is selling their bikes. They also still had a Lifan out front, no price tag though. They could get into the Konker bikes, but I think they would need to pick up a major brand to stick it out in that location, we have also RPM on South Fraser which deals in Chinese scooters and at least for a while was selling the Konker bikes, not sure if they still are.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:35 PM   #23

It's probably tough to sell Konker when the importer is in Langley and sells directly to the public. I wouldn't be surprised to find that much better prices are available there than buying from a dealer.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-16-2009, 02:39 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveeen
Ahhhhhh Suzuki. Suzuki does the dealer "thing" a bit different (from the other 3), I don't know if it is the GM involvement with Suzuki, or just the way they have decided to "do it", but combined with rapid obsolescence of product (meaning: NO parts after 5 years), no support of Suzuki branded product that they have decided not to support...
Do you think that five year rule is universal? The reason I ask is that I was able to buy a remarkable amount of parts for my '78 PE175 from the local dealer, before they went under.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
It's probably tough to sell Konker when the importer is in Langley and sells directly to the public. I wouldn't be surprised to find that much better prices are available there than buying from a dealer.
Not exactly true... Konker in Langley is not really a dealership, that is, they don't have a dealer number... They will sell you directly the quads and dirt bikes, but not the street legal bikes, you need to go through one of their dealers for that.

I was back in 3d today, and he says they'll be around as long as they want to be, selling parts, I suppose service and accessories, and maybe they might sell something else, but he wasn't sure, or wasn't confirming anything.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:03 PM   #26

Back on subject, got the petcock back together with the new screen, a couple new o-rings, a lot of cleaning, a bit of polish, and a jerry-rigged screen for the reserve... Should work out.

Got the tank sealed on the inside with a 3 stage kit from por15... I didn't get quite all of the excess sealer out and it puddled in the front, so hopefully the only negative side affect will be a little less fuel capacity.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:19 AM   #27

Does anyone know what this thing is, it showed up on the bench I have setup for the bike and I can't remember if it came off the bike, or maybe someone else left it there for some reason...

I've made a bit more progress, everything is torn down...

And I got the frame sanded and painted today.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:46 AM   #28

Got all the pieces painted black. Going to have to get some parts from 3d cycles (brakes, cables, etc). Ready to start putting some stuff back together. I will probably wait and polish the wheels and the forks later, I want to get it together and try to get it running.

*Special Note, the metal "table" used in the last picture is part of the crate that my gy6 arrived in

Old 05-14-2010, 01:25 AM   #29

Why from 3-D Jim? I like to support Darwin, but not for everything. I do better (usually) when I buy stuff on eBay and have it shipped to Sumas. I don't even drive across anymore; I park at the truck parking and walk across.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:35 AM   #30

Where do you have it shipped at Sumas? We usually ship to "the Mailbox" in Lynden, but it's a bit far to walk.

I just figured I would check in at 3d for prices and availability, if I don't have to wait too long, and the prices are reasonable I figure it's not bad. I need to get a list together though, mostly it's all small stuff.

PS. I meant to say it earlier, but I like your signature addition