Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2016, 01:05 PM   #16

Agree with Azhule. Looked at the KLR250 briefly for Marzhere but the seat height was going to be a problem for her. The KLR250 by all accounts seems relatively bulletproof.

My limited understanding is that the KLR 250 and 650 engines don't share much of the same engineering. The KLR 650 issue is both the balancer adjuster lever (doohickey) and spring are prone to failure. Not so for the KLR 250. However, both the 250 and 650 suffer from poor suspension and bad seats.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:31 PM   #17

Well I had a nice little scare with the electrics... I went out to do a few quick things to the bike before my shipment of parts arrive in the next few days... I ended up deciding to do my monthly "do all my lights work" check while I was there... I put the key in the bike and turn it over to "ON"... nothing comes on but the Neutral Light and High Beam Indicator... no headlight, dash lights, or tale/brake lights was actually on...

So I try pressing the brake peddle as a test and the rear lights go off like it should... along with my License Plate Lights, they decided it's time to work when I press the brakes now

WTF 'Mia'...

Dinner is going to be done in 3 minutes and you do all this crap to me???

Well I stopped the b***hin and just got to it... I pull all the plastics, the seat, and the gas tank and start messing with all the wires I might have "recently disturbed" while I was doing the Thermo-bob install (without removing the gas tank, seat, or plastics I might add ), and also to check my ATC/ATO fuses, the battery, and my Denso C.O.P. wires... everything was fine... dinner was done almost 8 minutes ago... I was getting hungry and vary pissy...

Wait a second...

I glance over and notice a connector not full seated... I completely forgot to fully re-connect the main connector for the lights last time I was messing around in there... it popped itself loose sometime the other day when I was out on my ~20 mile ride

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:14 PM   #18

Of course, I always need something from Cabela's.

I frequently ride I-80 across Wyoming and Nebraska when I travel back east. Whenever I travel that direction, I always stop at Cabela's flagship store in Sidney.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-18-2016, 10:33 PM   #19

If a man can't find something that he wants at Cabela's, he's a communist and should leave the country.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:05 AM   #20

Next time you ride through Spud let me know, I'm right near those cross roads (Cheyenne/Nebraska I80 area), we can see about finding a place for food (its hard with food allergies) or maybe we can find a nice road to ride on your way.

More parts came in the mail today so I got some mods done to the bike today got my turn signals working (old flasher was poo for lights in general but never built for LEDs), all the Flasher did was "solid on turn signals" (even with the old school bulbs) doesn't flash anymore... a "Tridon Novita" flasher I picked up from Advance Auto seems to be working so far.

I also tossed the old Fan relay in the trash... I upgraded to a relay that is basically built for constant use (30 amp horn/light/audio relay) not one built to burn out when temps get above 80F outside and you get stuck in traffic or going slow off road for a few hours

Took apart the rear wheel for some much needed brake work and upgrades put on a new Tusk Rotor, Galfer Green Brake Pads, and of course a Stainless Steel Brake Line with new Mag 1 DOT 4 Brake Fluid braking is 100 million times better from when I bought it... I also rebuilt the brake master cylinder a week or so back... braking and pedal feel was a little better after the master cylinder rebuild but still really spongy and poo overall (old brake line bulging and flexing I'm guessing).

Replaced the Air Cutoff Valve/Diaphragm dealy in/on the side of the carburetor and also have a new pilot jet to try out if I feel like digging in the carb any more... Kawasaki recommends a few different pilot jets at my altitude and mods done to the bike

Also got the Eagle Mike "Doo" and Torsion Spring upgrade (and a new set of gaskets) in the mail today. I'm still waiting on the rest of my order, mainly a new exhaust, but it should be here sometime today or tomorrow.

New exhaust arrived and installed I like it, wife said it sounds like a helicopter Didn't get a chance to go for a ride yet, just a test start to check for leaks

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Last edited by Azhule; 02-19-2016 at 09:53 PM.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:55 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc View Post
If a man can't find something that he wants at Cabela's, he's a communist and should leave the country.
That's a double amen, Brother.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-20-2016, 06:10 AM   #22

You could also put Ecotrons EFI on the KLR650

Old 02-20-2016, 12:24 PM   #23

Found Ecotron a while back when I was looking at the DR650 don't know if I would spend the $ on a Ecotron system to fuel inject it... I probably would end up take parts off random bikes and do a MicroSquirt ECU/EFI build

But to tell you the truth it will be a while before this bike gets any more upgrades like that again... did the maths last night and I'm already pushin over $4k in parts, specialty tools, motorcycle gear, and the cost of the KLR650... and I still have the front brakes, forks/springs/suspension, and a few more OE parts and after market Camshafts when I replace the "Doo" too... going to easily add another grand for all that too

Old 02-20-2016, 06:14 PM   #24

Had a fun little ride with the new exhaust parts installed and 142 main jet, great time but something was still a little off... it has plenty more power than the stock exhaust with a properly tuned carb... it just didn't feel/sound/smell right when riding/testing things... well I got home after a nice ride to the store and I decided to remove the air filter cover as a starting diagnosis point... ahhh, much better when it can breath both in and out at a mile high

The other week after I installed the 17t front sprocket I went out for a ride and had to battle 40+mph winds, the bike was full throttle and maxed out in power at 60 - 65mph on the roads/hills/winds I was dealing with... well with the new exhaust and about the same amount of winds/hills/roads/temp on my ride today (first carb tune after exhaust mod), and I am able to just cruise around now and still have plenty of throttle left to accelerate up to and past 75+ (indicated speed, no GPS today on my ride ), well worth the $ spent

I followed the Mrs. to the local Bulk Box store and home, for some reason she kept trying to race a bit on the way home lol, I think she wants to hear that lovely exhaust tone we just upgraded to, but she denies even racing up to speed (sooo, you didn't blip the gas pedal a few times at just before the light turned green? cause you promptly took off like a rocket making me chase after you ? I know I have a helmet and earplugs in but I can still hear a car next to me rev at the red light )

Old 02-28-2016, 04:45 PM   #25

What a nice day for a ride anyone else get one in? I made sure to get one in today as it's my Bday

Got just over an hour on the bike and probably 40 or so (s)miles just putsin around on whatever road I fancied

Hope everyone is doing well

Old 02-28-2016, 05:51 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc View Post
Vote for Bernie

Old 02-29-2016, 12:29 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
What a nice day for a ride anyone else get one in? I made sure to get one in today as it's my Bday

Got just over an hour on the bike and probably 40 or so (s)miles just putsin around on whatever road I fancied

Hope everyone is doing well
Happy birthday! That's a terrific way to celebrate.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-29-2016, 01:29 PM   #28

Happy Birthday!

Ride on!

Old 03-06-2016, 03:43 PM   #29

Huh... and here I said a few posts ago I probably wouldn't spend the $ on a fuel injection set up on my motorcycle (at least any time soon)...

Well I guess the Mrs. is tired of me and the surrounding area smelling like gasoline every time I have to mess with the carb/jets for tuning things...

So I told her "For a one time fee of ~$600" we could fuel inject the KLR with a 42mm throttle body and change fuel settings via laptop and I would never reek of fuel again...

Her response... "Well then... we will just have to save up and see about getting a discount when we order 2 kits..."

One for my Kawasaki KLR 650 and a smaller throttle body kit for her 'WILL 200' China Bike we are going to order soon (the smaller kit goes for under $300 if I remember right).

What fun ! Going to be a sweet 'winter project' Fuel Injecting the KLR 650 and the 'WILL 200', I wonder what kind of power/fuel economy I can squeeze out of them without taking it into a professional tuning shop

Old 03-06-2016, 04:15 PM   #30

Thumbs Up

I've got a couple of KLRs and though great bikes, they are a real handful on the dirt side of the dual sport equation. Depending on what you've got loaded, north of 430 lbs is a beeatch to muscle around or try to lift if it happens to go down on the low side of a trail and that's assuming you're still in tip top -one piece shape after your unexpected dismount!
Unless you are a VERY strong guy or only ride the singletrack boonies with lots of friends, I find Much more peace of mind when solo exploring on my Hawk.

There is a reason all the you tube vids showing the KLR/BMW/KTM types out and about in the boonies are ALL traveling in packs.
CAN'T WAIT FOR THE TT250's!!!!!:}
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking