Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2023, 09:39 PM   #1

china motor for honda atv?

I hate to come back after so long with my hand out but I need some input after coming up dry with searches, actually I need input on a couple of things but I'll do 2 threads to keep the confusion down.
I'll start with this, I have a 98 honda fourtrax 300 2wd I need a complete engine for and was wondering if anyone knows of a china clone that will drop in with a minimum of drama.
I have only found one stock replacement and the guy wants 1500 bucks for a smoking engine which is a little steep for my taste.
Any leads would be very much appreciated.
Creek.

Old 04-02-2023, 11:44 PM   #2

I just had a quick look at the ATV you have...

The basic gist of it what type of drive/spline/output shaft have to fit with the drive shaft adapter...

The engine that the Foutax has seems very specific for the drive line it has...
I don't think there is any easy bolt in swap that will use the drive shaft assembly.

Alternatively ditch the the drive shafts and swap to chain and sprockets too...

Once you know that then choosing a Chonda engine with a probable reverse gear is what you'll most likely be looking for.

Old 04-03-2023, 02:14 AM   #3

I have a late 90’s fourtrax 300 2wd just like yours and your Honda engine is sideways in the bike (the crank runs front to rear not side to side ) ,I believe it was done to make the power plant smaller and be able to run a shaft drive system without a 90 degree gearbox,and I know of no China engines configured like that .I will say ,my engine is presently out of my bike and I bet the size is very comparable to any of the common china dual sport 230-250 bikes ,if you can find one set up for an atv with a shaft drive you just might get lucky
What’s wrong with your engine ?

Old 04-03-2023, 10:13 AM   #4

XLSior, Thank you,

Bruces, I wish I knew what was wrong, I think I might be wrong with it. I have replaces everything electrical on it except one of the handle bar controls, can't remember which side. I have been through it twice and still no fire. I had to stop before I took a sledge hammer to it. I talked to a shop owner who was willing (reluctantly so) to go behind me but he is swamped and it would be months before he could commit to the time to it.
The initial problem was simply not riding it. When I quit riding it it was running fine then got to where I had to run it half choked and finally lost fire, this was over several years. It looks like hades because of the places I rode it, plastics are pretty rough but other than neglecting the brakes it was pretty well maintained. I don't have a problem with running a chain and sprocket set up I just lack the experience to feel confident taking that on. All though it isin't ideal I could live with out reverse now as well since it would be used for road riding now as opposed to the swamp riding I used to use it for.
Thanks for the input it is sincerely appreciated and gave me some ideas.

Old 04-27-2023, 09:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ina Ditch View Post
I hate to come back after so long with my hand out but I need some input after coming up dry with searches, actually I need input on a couple of things but I'll do 2 threads to keep the confusion down.
I'll start with this, I have a 98 honda fourtrax 300 2wd I need a complete engine for and was wondering if anyone knows of a china clone that will drop in with a minimum of drama.
I have only found one stock replacement and the guy wants 1500 bucks for a smoking engine which is a little steep for my taste.
Any leads would be very much appreciated.
Creek.
Go to Ali Express and Ali Baba looking for a 400 cc engine with transmission and liquid cooling. You can buy a reliable Chinese name brand for well under a grand with shipping and insurance.
My 230cc rages with front wheel lift in the 1st 3 gears and a stock top speed of 45 mph in 4th. After I made several significant engine mods, I looked into bigger engines out of curiosity. The crazy truth is that 230 classed as a 250 would be beyond vicious if it simply had 6 gears.