Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2019, 04:39 AM   #451

I'm in the UK, fortunately altitude variations are not an issue. After making the carb work properly before the cc increase, I knew any alterations with the cc increase would be very small. Luckily my small alteration works!

Old 05-31-2019, 01:35 AM   #452

There’s always the 298cc and the wholesalers are doing a promo on these soon
Price drop coming up

Old 06-02-2019, 10:43 AM   #453

Had greater than expected results from the 283cc kit, really pleased. For an enduro bike it makes a big difference, with low speed grunt and more acceleration. Top speed performance not needed.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:16 PM   #454

Are there any updated recommendations on the big bore kits? 283 vs 298? Has anyone successfully run the 298 with the stock ECU? Or is the 283 the way to go?

Old 06-25-2019, 04:34 PM   #455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
Are there any updated recommendations on the big bore kits? 283 vs 298? Has anyone successfully run the 298 with the stock ECU? Or is the 283 the way to go?
I have no experience with the 298 kit but the 283 kit really helps. Between that and different gearing, (and the tall seat with handlebar risers) it's a whole different bike. Would I want to go on long tours with it? Nope.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-25-2019, 06:26 PM   #456

Okay, thanks. I will probably go with the 283 then.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:18 PM   #457

Quote:
Okay, thanks. I will probably go with the 283 then.
Why not be the first and try the 298cc kit? I’ll do you a slightly better deal on it too

Old 06-25-2019, 11:57 PM   #458

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
Why not be the first and try the 298cc kit? I’ll do you a slightly better deal on it too
Wait - so nobody has tried the 298?

Is it from the same manufacturer?

Old 06-26-2019, 06:40 AM   #459

Quote:

Different company makes it - we are all waiting on you to let us know
We only have the 283cc.
I have sold a couple of 298cc kits to other clients and no news is good news

Old 06-26-2019, 08:08 AM   #460

A First

Quote:

If you try it (I would if I had a RX3) please report back here what you think. You would be the first and we all would like to know.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:59 PM   #461

If I were to try it, I would give a comprehensive report. I have done extensive performance testing on my Benelli TNT 135, after adding the exhaust, intake, power commander, and camshaft. I have a nearby section of 1/2 mile of flat road that lets me do comparative 1/4 mile and roll-on testing, and I have a Dragy for extremely accurate timing.

So I could develop a performance increase table and chart the horsepower and torque differences.

The problem is, the Benelli is for racing and the RX3 is for long distance, remote adv touring. So reliability is the key factor. The 283 kit is proven over many thousands of miles by multiple users, apparently the manufacturer is well known for producing quality stuff, etc. The 298 is a complete unknown quantity, we don't even know who the manufacturer is. Is the piston going to last 50 miles? 500 miles? 5000 miles? Is the cylinder round? Will the ECU and fuel injectors be able to handle the increase up to 298cc?

I'm not opposed to experimenting with it, but I'd like some assurances about quality if I'm going to gamble being stranded in a canyon because of a fault in manufacturing. Tako, how does it look, quality-wise, compared to the 283?

Old 06-26-2019, 04:10 PM   #462

Quote:
If I were to try it, I would give a comprehensive report. I have done extensive performance testing on my Benelli TNT 135, after adding the exhaust, intake, power commander, and camshaft. I have a nearby section of 1/2 mile of flat road that lets me do comparative 1/4 mile and roll-on testing, and I have a Dragy for extremely accurate timing.

So I could develop a performance increase table and chart the horsepower and torque differences.

The problem is, the Benelli is for racing and the RX3 is for long distance, remote adv touring. So reliability is the key factor. The 283 kit is proven over many thousands of miles by multiple users, apparently the manufacturer is well known for producing quality stuff, etc. The 298 is a complete unknown quantity, we don't even know who the manufacturer is. Is the piston going to last 50 miles? 500 miles? 5000 miles? Is the cylinder round? Will the ECU and fuel injectors be able to handle the increase up to 298cc?

I'm not opposed to experimenting with it, but I'd like some assurances about quality if I'm going to gamble being stranded in a canyon because of a fault in manufacturing. Tako, how does it look, quality-wise, compared to the 283?
I have posted all I know and as truthfully as possible here in the forum.

No news sorry

Old 06-29-2019, 09:24 AM   #463

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwert View Post
Same thing my dyno man said. When he gets done with mine he will have everything necessary to do everyone else's.
Following up on this -- this post was in relation to adapting a Power Commander to the RX3.

Did this ever happen? Is there a Power Commander or Bazzaz fuel controller available that works with the RX3?

Old 06-29-2019, 04:36 PM   #464

EJK.com?
They have a unit for AJP PR5

Old 07-03-2019, 03:43 PM   #465

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwert View Post
I found this workshop manual quite helpful doing the 300 kit. Much more trouble getting too the engine than doing the 300 kit. Well worth the time and money.

EDIT: Probably could have done the 300 kit in a couple hours if I didn't have to go track down tools my thankfully EX-son-in-law refused to return. I also did a few other mods while doing the 300 kit while waiting for my son to bring more Loctite, like 19-inch front wheel, CSC's front brake upgrade, and new rear tire. Note the online manual and CSC specify medium strength in some places and extra strength in others. Be careful.
Any updated links for the manual? I got all the RX-3's "furniture" off fairly methodically, and have confidence on swapping in the 300cc kit itself, but it'll be a few weeks between disassembly and re-assembly, which makes me a little nervous getting everything back together in proper order.

Any other tips or late anecdotes are appreciated as well.

FWIW, this bike is Dan's old girl "Merry"... and after rebuild, is going to a dear friend for reliable transpo during her medical residency. I'm upgrading to the RX-4 when they hit our shores, supposedly next month. Just too much super-slab here in TX to feel safe on the smaller 250...er, 283.