Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2016, 02:30 PM   #1

Looking at Some Used RX3's

I’ve been scaling down my size in motorcycles for the past decade. So much that the past two years my only two wheeled activity has been with pedal power. The 250cc class has been my desire for quite some time but not really into any of the U.S. offerings. Thus, except for the relative unknowns about the bike, the RX3 checks all of my boxes. Even though the RX3 is a bargain new I usually buy my motorcycles from the second hand market. Besides being inherently cheap I can also be a serial bike purchaser and don’t like taking financial hits when I sell a bike. I’ve found a few 2015’s within a reasonable distance from me. The closest is 250 miles but only has 100 miles on it. I do not own a trailer nor an automobile with a hitch. Would this bike be OK to ride the 250 miles or would a service be required? Anything in particular I should be looking for with bikes having 1,200 down to 100 miles? Thanks in advance.

Old 07-19-2016, 04:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSTWAY View Post
Would this bike be OK to ride the 250 miles or would a service be required? Anything in particular I should be looking for with bikes having 1,200 down to 100 miles? Thanks in advance.
Welcome Bstway!

Not sure if you're following CSC's blog, but Joe is on yet another long distance ride on the RX3, and it's been performing admirably. The RX3s can go the distance, and 250 miles is nothing. With the bike that you're looking at it may be a good idea to change the oil when you get back home (350 total miles). I always change my factory fill oil at 100 miles (but I subscribe to the "break-it in as you intend to use it" approach.)

In terms of the RX3 checking all boxes... it does! A bit more horsepower would be nice, but I wouldn't want to trade the lightness, balance, and nimbleness of the RX3 for a heavier mill

Let us know if you pick up the RX3 and take pics of the ride home!

Old 07-19-2016, 08:56 PM   #3

Quote:
I’ve been scaling down my size in motorcycles for the past decade. So much that the past two years my only two wheeled activity has been with pedal power. The 250cc class has been my desire for quite some time but not really into any of the U.S. offerings. Thus, except for the relative unknowns about the bike, the RX3 checks all of my boxes. Even though the RX3 is a bargain new I usually buy my motorcycles from the second hand market. Besides being inherently cheap I can also be a serial bike purchaser and don’t like taking financial hits when I sell a bike. I’ve found a few 2015’s within a reasonable distance from me. The closest is 250 miles but only has 100 miles on it. I do not own a trailer nor an automobile with a hitch. Would this bike be OK to ride the 250 miles or would a service be required? Anything in particular I should be looking for with bikes having 1,200 down to 100 miles? Thanks in advance.
I would say take it easy as csc recommends with the rpm requirement in the break in period. Rtk is right, these things are proven. And known oil is always preferable. Only a quart or more so it could be changed on the road easily before final launch. Hope you get a good deal.

I agree, fellow cheap bastard
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 07-20-2016, 08:33 AM   #4

If you're looking at a used bike that is still within the break-in period, then you'll have to get a "warm-and-fuzzy" from the seller that he or she has been following the break-in procedure properly. Those first few thousand miles are all-important to the longevity of the motor.

I've seen a few used RX3s around the country by searching using SearchTempest.com to scour Craigslist nationwide. Frankly, for the most part, the prices folks are asking for used ones are so close to the new price from CSC that I'd find it difficult to justify buying used.

CSC's warranty does not fully transfer to the second owner. You still gets parts coverage, but not labor. Although I don't thank that has been an issue for anyone.

Good Luck,

Dan K.

Dan's Motorcycle Blog - "Lost? I'm not lost. I'm just exploring. . ."

Old 07-20-2016, 07:18 PM   #5

Where in the country are you located?

Old 07-20-2016, 08:47 PM   #6

I’m located just outside Washington D.C. I haven’t locked down a deal yet nor am I totally sold on doing so. Many of the “growing pain” items (transmission issues, fuel in the oil issues, clutch issues…) have me reconsidering the idea. I’ve owned plenty of bikes with “issues” and would rather not deal with that anymore. A lot of the RX3’s issues seem to be onesie-twosie types of things in the big picture but it’s hard to tell. I’m totally sold on the small displacement thing and this bike is very unique in that regard. I guess I’ll continue to mull over the idea and see where my thoughts direct me.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:53 AM   #7

I've owned many motorcycles, Honda Trail 70, Hodaka 100, 400 KTM 2 troke, Suzuki RM 250, Honda CB 350, Kawasaki 440 LTD, Yamaha XS 650 which I never got to run, Honda CX500, Honda GL650, BMW R80, BMW R75/5,1986 Harley 1200 sportster, Triumph Tiger Explorer XC, CSC RX3 Cyclone Orange, CSC RX3 Cyclone White (Wife's), Honda CB500x (wife's) to name a few. so far we have not had trouble with either 2015 RX3 4k+ miles each nor 2016 CB500x 400 miles but the CB500X is new and is still being broken in.

400 KTM caught fire in the desert and burned to death, BMW R75/5 Constant carburetor problems, BMW R80 charging issue- drive shaft went out-Speedo reads 20 mph higher than actual speed-wheels leak air at the beads 2 lbs per day, Triumph Tiger Explorer XC Fuel Map-Tune Issues-leaking clutch master cylinder, CX 500 Leaking coolant pump shaft many times, GL 650 coolant leaks and electric fan switches fans stops working, Kawasaki 440 LTX final drive belt broke in the middle of nowhere clutch-replacment at 15k miles, Honda CB 350 Starter would never work and always had to kick start that cold natured beast for 4 years.

I am so happy to have two RX3's that I don't have to rebuild every time I want to go for a ride or take to the dealer for a week of troubleshooting.(Dealer: we are still trying to figure out what is wrong with it?!?! >Triumph Tiger Explorer<).

In my experience its pretty darn hard to find anything that will never give me trouble or have problems down the road nor would I ever let that stop me from riding a motorcycle I loved so in my eyes the RX3's are keepers because parts are cheap and I can actually work on them. I can't say that about the new digital motorcycles manufacturers are producing today. We still own six of the motorcycles listed above but currently can only ride 3 of them due to issues, I will let you guess which ones are still running with no issues. Here is a clue two are identical and one is brand new.
2015 RX3 Cyclone (White)
2015 RX3 Cyclone (Orange)
2016 Honda CB500X

Last edited by Tiger12XC; 07-22-2016 at 01:40 PM.

Old 07-22-2016, 01:12 PM   #8

BSTWAY, don't know about you, but if I spend enough time on ANY forum, i'd be scared away from any bike, car, truck, or product. You mention "growing pains" heck, KLR and DR 650 growing pains are in their 2nd and 3rd decades! What bike is totally trouble free? Please research and tell us.

If you are into 250's, even the highly acclaimed (and really well made) WR250R has it's troubles. I understand your trepidation over a product that is not yet well proven, and believe me, every single one of us on this forum has been in those shoes, but a majority of us have been, and remain pleased with our purchase(s).

My own .02 is that the fit/finish isn't quite as good as the Japanese products, but the engine and functioning parts are better than the $$$ European offerings. The bike looks twice it's price, sounds like it has twice the horses, and is the smoothest thumper I've ever sat on in 25 years of riding. It isn't perfect, and I have a couple of nits to pick, but not any more than on former Japanese or English bikes I've owned.

Old 07-22-2016, 01:53 PM   #9

Omg I almost forgot to mention my 1986 Harley 1200 Sportster Dream machine. There was a ritual to start this thing if the battery held out but most of the times would run dead before every firing a lick. It leaked oil everywhere, 2.2 gallon tank 100 miles per fill up, 500 lbs of pure sexy scrap iron that had little gremlins that would show up whenever I wanted to ride it. I would often force a smile on my face while telling people how great a motorcycle it was only to pull away and spin out in the giant oil spot left behind on the asphalt. I loved that bike but what a complete pig to own. My little RX3 Chinese motorcycle gets more attention from people than the Harley ever did.
2015 RX3 Cyclone (White)
2016 Honda CB500X

Old 07-22-2016, 04:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger12XC View Post
Omg I almost forgot to mention my 1986 Harley 1200 Sportster Dream machine. There was a ritual to start this thing if the battery held out but most of the times would run dead before every firing a lick. It leaked oil everywhere, 2.2 gallon tank 100 miles per fill up, 500 lbs of pure sexy scrap iron that had little gremlins that would show up whenever I wanted to ride it. I would often force a smile on my face while telling people how great a motorcycle it was only to pull away and spin out in the giant oil spot left behind on the asphalt. I loved that bike but what a complete pig to own. My little RX3 Chinese motorcycle gets more attention from people than the Harley ever did.
Hence the name Sportster DREAM machine. You only got to dream about riding it for any length of time actual riding time on it: not so much" .
I had a 1968 125 Maico moto crosser that I bought running. Took it home , and did some "inspection" of things to check it out and make sure it was up to snuff. It never ran after that no matter how many times my brothers and I pushed it up and down our drive way. I think I may of put the rotary valve in backwards or out of time ????. Years latter dad burned it up with the chicken house. Pity, it would be worth $3-$4000 now.
rj

Old 07-22-2016, 06:01 PM   #11

You hit it on the head RJ. It saddens me sometimes to think about all the money I spent on so called great mainstream motorcycles when all along I was waiting for a company to make a simple, easy to maintain, reliable little Chinese 250. Ten years ago I would have lost my mind if someone said get a Chinese Motorcycle. I would have said "No you gotta buy Merican" I eat my words now with a side order of humility.
2015 RX3 Cyclone (White)
2016 Honda CB500X

Old 07-22-2016, 07:20 PM   #12

Well it looks like the way to go is new. You take a hit on the warranty with used, currently CSC has an accessory incentive and the remote nature of all of the used bikes make it impossible to come out "ahead." For me it all boils down to whether I'm going back to motorcycles or sticking with pedal bikes for fun and transportation. If i go motorcycle, it more than likely will be an RX3 delivered new.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:16 PM   #13

Doh!

Quote:
Well it looks like the way to go is new. You take a hit on the warranty with used, currently CSC has an accessory incentive and the remote nature of all of the used bikes make it impossible to come out "ahead." For me it all boils down to whether I'm going back to motorcycles or sticking with pedal bikes for fun and transportation. If i go motorcycle, it more than likely will be an RX3 delivered new.
So now that it is settled, the only question is ,2016 or 2017 ? sorry
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 07-28-2016, 09:25 AM   #14

I bought mine used (265 miles) here in FL. Haven't regretted it for a second. I now have about 2200 miles on it. Most of my riding is to work and that is 50 miles each way between 55 and 75 mph. Although I just did the Tail of the Dragon last week. The warranty issued bothered me at first (1 yr vs 2 yrs with no labor) but I figured if I rode it enough this first year then I would discover any problems. So far just the battery and they wouldn't replace that. And I got it for almost 1/2 of what the guy had into it. Cash talks and on CL people run from a Chinese bike so I had the upper hand.

William
'15 Mustard (Orange-ish)

Old 07-28-2016, 07:14 PM   #15

I guess if there was one for sale local to me it would be worth pursuing. Otherwise, there is no financial incentive to go used if there's going to be a fly and ride or borrow a buddies truck situation. That's all of course unless the seller is just about giving it away. None of the current ones on the market fit that description for me.