Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Video and Pics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2015, 02:53 PM   #1

Harbor Freight Choppers

Sweet home made Harbor Freight Choppers! They both had HF 420CC motors with centrifugal clutches. Owners said they do 55-70mph depending on sprocket size and get about 35mpg.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0227.jpg (101.6 KB, 322 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0228.jpg (101.7 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0229.jpg (101.2 KB, 332 views)

Last edited by dh; 08-13-2015 at 02:56 PM. Reason: incomplete

Old 08-14-2015, 03:27 AM   #2

I know these are not the same and are offered in UK, but they must be made in China for sure:

http://funbikes.co.uk/Baja_Big_Wheel...284909%29.aspx

Old 08-14-2015, 11:54 AM   #3

If only those 420cc motors were coupled to some sort of transmission! even a 2 speed! A totally serviceable machine that every part is replaceable for a reasonable price! And it would not take a factory trained mechanic 5 hours labor to diagnose and repair an engine problem.

Maybe I should keep my majesty and graft a new swing arm coupled to a 420cc and ride it forever.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:07 PM   #4

Yeh take a look at the gearing issue. Look at the size of the rear sprocket on that stretched bike. Its almost the same size as the wheel.

/

Old 08-14-2015, 02:59 PM   #5

I noticed that. I'd be at least trying to graft a Torq-a-Verter to it, so you could have some torque multiplication and high speed gearing.

My preference would be to use an old-school transmission, like from a Royal Enfield.

Neat bikes! I'm hoping to build a complete bike some day, and obtain registration and insurance for it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-15-2015, 12:14 AM   #6

Can you imagine after building one out of common hardware store parts and tagging it you and a few buddys go touring and 1000 miles from home the motor dies and for a quick repair you stop at a farm store or harbor freight and just buy a new engine and 15 min later you and the rest of the riders are on their way home! Mail or ups it home for a overhaul and spare motor. Set up the rear tire for a darkside car tire and get 35k before it wears out! All generic parts that can be had any where!

Them air cooled industrial engines run for ever so failing is not a common occurrence too.

Old 08-15-2015, 02:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I noticed that. I'd be at least trying to graft a Torq-a-Verter to it, so you could have some torque multiplication and high speed gearing.

My preference would be to use an old-school transmission, like from a Royal Enfield.

Neat bikes! I'm hoping to build a complete bike some day, and obtain registration and insurance for it.
Some gearing would certainly be nice. I did ask them why no torque a verter and they said they thought the prices are unreasonable for the 1" shaft comet model they would need, at least a few hundred bucks I believe they said. They both estimated they had about 1,000 miles with the centrifugal clutches.

Old 08-15-2015, 02:31 PM   #8

They are pricey, no doubt. There wouldn't be much of a savings with a vintage transmission, either.

I suppose a spare centrifugal clutch would be cheap and easy to pack.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-15-2015, 04:58 PM   #9

Don't remember exactly how it was done but a neighbor 40 years ago came home with a brand new wards scooter that had a centrifugal 2 speed belt transmission.

Then there's the v-belt ones that are lever actuated like lawn tractors have, with more pulleys and another lever you could go two speed pretty easy and cheap and still be able to use a centrifugal to keep belt wear down.