Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-18-2021, 10:45 AM   #1

Vulcan S 650 or Vulcan 900 Custom?

So i got the New bike itch again. I think it has something to do with the cooler and nicer weather. I was out riding my Ghost yesterday and it was a little windy. I got pushed around a little when i would hit open area. I've been wanting to buy something bigger for a while and was hopping somebody would start importing a larger affordable bike. Even the CSC RE3-SG400 San Gabriel 400 was looking like a good option but at 400lbs. I think it would still be to light. I'm not really interested in the RX4 either as i don't need another off-road capable bike. I was looking at one of the local Kawasaki dealer that has a bunch of older 2020 stock left over that they are trying to clear out. I was looking at the Vulcan S 650 and The Vulcan 900 Custom. Both are very nice and comfortable bikes with low seat heights. I like the Vulcan S because it has lots of adjustments for different riders. They had three bikes set up with different seats and foot peg positions. I felt like Goldilocks and the three bears trying each one till i found the one that was just right. I think this is a no brainer but figure I'd ask everyone's opinion on what they think.
The 2020 Vulcan S weighs about 500 lbs and is rated @ 68 hp. 2021 is detuned to 60hp.
The 2020 Vulcan 900 weighs roughly a 100 lbs more and is only rated @ 51 hp and cost about $1000 more.
I took both out for a ride and the ride was almost identical with the Vulcan S feeling a little more comfortable. The power on the Vulcan S comes on very smooth and you can feel a huge difference in power over the 900. The weight of the Vulcan S feels perfect. Not too heavy and easy to move around but heavy enough so that i didn't feel the wind push me around. I found the 900 a little harder to maneuver around in tight places. As you can see i think i have my mind made up. The HP to weight to $$ rate , I think the Vulcan S is a win hands down. BTW i can pick up the Vulcan S for about $6500.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel