Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2018, 06:23 PM   #1

Can the rear shock jam on a new Hawk?

New 2017 bike. I'm 240lbs, when I sit on the bike the rear shock compresses about 3 inches and then thud! Feels like it hits something. I look under and the spring isn't compressed all the way it just stops. I can't find any posts discussing this. Can I take the shock apart? Should I try?

Old 04-27-2018, 11:55 PM   #2

I don't think this shock is serviceable. If it sounds like it is collapsing, better off see if you can find one of the same length on e-bay with the same dimensions on the bolts.

Old 04-28-2018, 02:57 AM   #3

The rear shock isn't serviceable as far as I am aware, but it definitely shouldn't stop like that. I weigh a bit more than you do and have ridden my bike pretty hard over some whoops and the worst I have done was hit the bump stop lightly. I can also hop up and down on the bike and not bottom out the shock.

I can only think of 3 things that might cause this.
1. Something in one of the coil gaps - but you should notice that.
2. A larger than normal bump stop on the shock shaft or some other manufacturing defect.
3. The shock body is hitting somewhere on the frame due to being installed incorrectly.
The spring should be on the bottom, closest to the swing arm.

It's a good idea to put a bit of marine grease on the shanks of the shock mounting bolts as well since the shock does pivot around them.

If you can't figure out what is wrong and you haven't had the bike very long, consider contacting the store you purchased it through about a warranty claim on the rear shock.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-28-2018, 09:57 AM   #4

Dadbeck, I would try to take the shock out and put it in a press, if you have access to one. Maybe a nearby auto shop will be friendly enough for you to have a look. My thought is that the shock you have installed on your more recently manufactured bike has internal parts that are preventing the shock from making what we would consider a full stroke. So while the shock looks similar from the outside, the internals are designed to not have the same range of movement. This is usually done as a result of the pointy-headed bean counters discovering that if they shorten the travel of the internals, it takes less material to make to the shock, and that means more shocks from the same amount of raw materials. If I remember correctly, one of the big 3 auto makers here in the states had a pretty rough patch (no pun intended) after they did that and people got so frustrated with the poor ride quality of the cars they were putting out. What's worse, is that after people got wise to what was going on and replaced the rinky-dink shocks, the suspension geometry didn't work anymore and the ride actually GOT WORSE! In any event, I would say the best bet would be to take the shock off and see if it travels the full range out of the bike, and that will narrow down where to start looking. Also, when the shock is off, it will be much easier to pivot the swingarm and see if something is jamming up on that end of things.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 04-28-2018, 11:31 AM   #5

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll inspect it more closely and remove it if I don't see anything. I got to ride it last night and really enjoyed it. Watching others ride on youtube doesn't prepare you for how light the font is. The hawk can turn on a dime!

Old 04-28-2018, 12:32 PM   #6

Well I took it off, no grease on it. I bought the bike assembled. I greased top and bottom bolts, I also used marvel mystery oil on the shaft. While I had the bike up I trued the rim. It really helped. I don't notice a hard stop anymore. I'll have to take it off road to test it out.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadbeck77 View Post
Well I took it off, no grease on it. I bought the bike assembled. I greased top and bottom bolts, I also used marvel mystery oil on the shaft. While I had the bike up I trued the rim. It really helped. I don't notice a hard stop anymore. I'll have to take it off road to test it out.
Sounds like you didn't find anything out of the ordinary. I wonder if it was just binding up on the mount bolts?

Old 04-29-2018, 01:30 AM   #8

Maybe, I still think the rear travel isn't as long as it should be. Did some logging roads tonight and it seemed just "ok". I need to find someone local who has one, they could tell me what's normal. I'm really impressed with it so far for the 1100.00 I got it for. Not counting plates and tags.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:45 AM   #9

Quote:
I'm really impressed with it so far for the 1100.00 I got it for. Not counting plates and tags.
And another convert to the China Bike World is born...

Most of the people on this forum have said something almost identical to that once the bike was uncrated and assembled, or after they had their first ride on a bike they bought used. Really glad it's working out for you, and that you're overall happier with it now than you were a few days ago. Happy riding!

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 04-29-2018, 10:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Maybe, I still think the rear travel isn't as long as it should be.
The rear suspension doesn't have a ton of travel to begin with - less than 7 inches of total travel, and the Hawk's actually have a progressive rear spring with a pretty hefty secondary spring rate from the factory too. There are only 2 weaknesses that I have found to the rear suspension that I would love to change. First, I would love to replace the dual rate spring for a single linear rate spring, and then have adjustable preload. Second, the rebound dampening is a little on the soft side for the heavier secondary spring rate, and that can make for a jouncy ride on larger medium and high speed bumps.

You have to keep in mind that these aren't exactly motocross bikes. Their suspension travel is greater than that of most road going bikes, but shorter than that of most true off-road style bikes.

Old 04-29-2018, 12:32 PM   #11

Yeah I think the more expensive mods are going to wait but an adjustable shock is top of the list along with the digital dash and exhaust. I made a small skid plate and bought some plexiglass for a short windscreen.

Tags
hawk 250, rear shock, suspension