Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2020, 08:43 AM   #1

countershaft end float

My TT250 stock 17 tooth front sprocket (chain actually) rubs the countershaft cover and the engine case. Worse now with an O-ring chain. It is slight, but I can feel what I thought was clutch chatter when this happens. I have relieved the offending areas with a dremel. I replaced the front sprocket just in case it was wallered out, it wasn't. The splines on the countershaft were fine too. I did notice that the countershaft can move in and out (axial play) about 1/8". I didn't put a dial indicator on it, so that is a guess. Is this normal? Does anyone know if the gears on that shaft are helical cut (causing thrust loads) or straight cut?

Old 12-28-2020, 09:21 AM   #2

What year?

I've noticed the exact same thing, and I had this suspicion. I never removed the cover, though.

I recently bought a new chain and sprockets and have yet to install them.

Old 12-28-2020, 11:40 AM   #3

Old 12-28-2020, 12:50 PM   #4

https://cscmotorcycles.com/oem-parts...counter-shaft/

Worlds smallest parts diagram picture, but looks like every gear is straight cut.

My Hawk DLX info page: https://www.ecimulti.org/hawk250

Old 12-29-2020, 03:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtiberio View Post
Yep. Mine is a 2020 as well.

I remember asking about the noise here and everyone just said it was clutch chatter. I always felt it was coming from the left side, not the right.

Question is, will CSC warranty this? Is it actually a problem?

Old 12-29-2020, 05:10 AM   #6

I called them yesterday, talked to a tech. He had a TT on the lift. Says they all do that (axial play). I have found that running the chain too loose allows the chain to fling off the CS sprocket (I assume), and hit the case/cover. I usually run my chains loose because tight is so bad, but now I watch it. Given I replaced the OEM POS chain with a proper o-ring chain, rapid loosening should not be an issue. I was thinking of pulling the CS sprocket again to see if the addition of a hardened washer between it and the case could help tighten things up. At this point with my chain properly adjusted, the noise is gone. If I thought it was a real issue, I'd go with a 16/40 sprocket pair instead of the 17/42 I'm now running. Compared to my 2016 TT, this 2020 is of lower quality. I wonder if this is a result of trying to hold prices given the tarrifs. My battery is a total POS, I have to keep it on a charger all the time or I only get one crank before crickets.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:10 AM   #7

Could be.

I already replaced my battery. It croaked at the slightest whiff of below 50 degrees, and was only holding on by a thread before that.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:29 AM   #8

Every CG engine I've owned had quite a bit of axial play in the countershaft, but even a wide Oring chain did not contact the case or cover.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
Every CG engine I've owned had quite a bit of axial play in the countershaft, but even a wide Oring chain did not contact the case or cover.
How many teeth on CS sprocket?

Old 12-29-2020, 09:27 AM   #10

The 13t 530 sprocket and stock 530 chain cleared the case, but when I changed to an x-ring chain it rubbed the case (I could feel it catching when I pushed the bike in neutral). I "clearanced" it with the dremel, but I'm going back to the 12t front and smaller rear sprocket because I really don't like the chain being that close.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"