Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2011, 10:03 PM   #31

2009 Kawasaki KLX250SF 'Supermoto'

Thanks suprf1y! That's great information.

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II

Old 03-30-2011, 07:33 PM   #32

Just ordered new dualsport wheels for the KLX. Black Excel premium rims, Superlaced with stainless steel nipples and heavier ss spokes, Neutech TUbliss wheel seals, and TKC-80 tires were just ordered from Woody's Wheel Works. These are sized 21/18" and will turn my KLX250SF back into a dualsport. I removed the KLX250SF stickers a few days ago. Soon there will be no evidence that it was ever a Supermoto bike, aside from the 300mm front rotor. The TKC tires are more of a 60/40 dualsport tire and should work well for my 20 mile commute. A new front fender, kickstand and rear shock are all needed now. I'll be ordering them shortly to have them on the bike once the new wheels arrive. The standard KLX250S rear shock will give me 9.1" of travel front and rear. New Moose Racing aluminum handlebars and handguards are also on my list of things to get this week.

We still have crappy weather here in WV for the next 2 weeks. I'll have the wheels back before the weather gets nice, so this shouldn't effect my riding.

I've also recently removed about 5lbs of crap from the bike with much more to come.

Stay tuned as I wick this thing up into a 351cc beast.

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 03-31-2011, 12:47 AM   #33

I think that the TuBliss system is the way to go, especially on a DS.

I`m totally focused on the 351cc goal. Is that simply a big-bore kit, or are you splitting case to stroke it?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-31-2011, 12:56 AM   #34

what are you doing with the 17" rims etc?

Old 03-31-2011, 01:24 AM   #35

That's funny, Rage. I was waiting for you to ask that question.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-31-2011, 07:32 AM   #36

351 is a big bore kit

http://bandbcyclerestorations.com/Home_Page.php

Not a bad price, for what you get.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:45 AM   #37

Rage,
Woody's Wheel Works is taking my stock 17" Excel rims, spokes, nipples and the stock IRC Winner tires in on trade for the new wheels and tires. It looks like I'm going to get a pretty fair chunk taken off my total. Josh at Woody's said I'd get something like a $300 credit IIRC.

W&G,
The 351cc engine kit from B&B is just a bore increase. My plan is to do it over one weekend, so as to not have any real downtime on it. The cams and headwork will wait until next Winter, if I decide they are necessary. The big bore kit will be used in conjuction with a new FMF exhaust and probably a new Mikuni TM-36 flatside carburetor. Overall, I think this is the way I want to go for my build.

From what I'm reading the 351 kit doesn't effect the reliability of the bike. I hope that's the case! It may seem that I am going full tilt but what I really want is just a reliable but more powerful trailbike. It needs to compete in both price and power with a new DRZ. Hopefully, it will come in lighter and cheaper than that alternative. My next big obstacle is to overcome the fuel capacity or lack of, I should say. Of course, I will also be looking to drop a bunch of weight. I'm considering dropping the stock gauge pod, turnsignals, inner fender and a few other things. My grinder may also get a workout. :wink:

suprf1y,
Honestly, I think the 351 kit is overpriced. It's $721.52 plus shipping which seems pretty pricey to me. All that's there is a piston, a sleeve, some machine work and the new installation parts (wristpin, circlips, and gaskets). Those parts are fairly inexpensive, less than $75. The new piston should cost around $80 to $100. What we come away with is about $550 worth of machine work and sleeve. Sure he's got intellectual property there, as he pioneered this conversion but that's rather expensive machinework. I'll gladly pay his prices, as I'd like to have these parts for my motorcycle but I have looked at less expensive alternatives. I hope it brings everything to the table that it promises. I'd like to see 30 ponies!

SamM

2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 03-31-2011, 10:48 AM   #38

How does that work? Do you give him your cylinder on exchange, or is it up to you to find a good shop to replace the sleeve?

Old 03-31-2011, 12:00 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprf1y
351 is a big bore kit

http://bandbcyclerestorations.com/Home_Page.php

Not a bad price, for what you get.
Direct bolt on. Supposed to be a 3 hour or less job start to finish. I thought it was in the $550 bracket. A good value in both time and money as I understand it.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:04 PM   #40

From what I'm reading the 351 kit doesn't effect the reliability of the bike. I hope that's the case!

Not an issue at all. Remember the bottom end is supposed to be 300+cc. The 250 is a reduction from what it was designed to be.

I've read of NO ISSUES from the BB kits, including people with 30,000+ miles on them.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:20 PM   #41

Quote:
I thought it was in the $550 bracket. A good value in both time and money as I understand it.
FastDoc,
Nope, if you read the fine print you realize that there is a $175 core charge on the cylinder that they send in the kit. You send your standard cylinder back to get the core charge refunded. They mention that lower down the page. He also charges a a 3% surcharge for using PayPal. That's why I stated that this is fairly pricey.

W&G,
You send in your cylinder back to them on exchange. They'll send me a freshly bored and sleeved core cylinder that was on someone elses bike. Of course, you have no idea of the history of the core but I suppose it's fine as the boring would fix any problems. Hopefully, there are no cracks in it. I may just send them mine cylinder and wait for it to be machined and sent back. That way I get my new cylinder back. That means unwanted downtime that I am trying to avoid.

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 03-31-2011, 05:38 PM   #42

It's $527. You have the choice of making it more expensive, but that's YOUR choice.

There is no intellectual property. It's just a big bore kit.

Keep in mind that there is a fair bit of labor, and expertise involved, and good luck getting a quality piston and rings for $80-$100.
He bores your cylinder if you send it in, or a core cylinder if you prefer. It's your choice.

I have a similar business, and trust me, those prices are more than fair.

On the core charge, I charge $150 core, and in almost 10 years, and hundreds of jobs, I have received only 3 cores back. It really pisses me off that my customers do that. Bill and I have had this discussion, and he has the same problem. WE NEED THE CORES TO KEEP PROVIDING THIS SERVICE. People just don't seem to care.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:38 PM   #43

Quote:
It's $527. You have the choice of making it more expensive, but that's YOUR choice.

There is no intellectual property. It's just a big bore kit.

Keep in mind that there is a fair bit of labor, and expertise involved, and good luck getting a quality piston and rings for $80-$100.
He bores your cylinder if you send it in, or a core cylinder if you prefer. It's your choice.

I have a similar business, and trust me, those prices are more than fair.

On the core charge, I charge $150 core, and in almost 10 years, and hundreds of jobs, I have received only 3 cores back. It really pisses me off that my customers do that. Bill and I have had this discussion, and he has the same problem. WE NEED THE CORES TO KEEP PROVIDING THIS SERVICE. People just don't seem to care.
suprf1y,
No, my choice is whether or not my bike is down one weekend or two weeks while I wait for parts. I never said it was a bad deal. What I said was that it was fairly pricey. Over $700 is fairly pricey to me. Maybe it's not to you! If I could send him $527.45 and be done with it, I would think it was a great deal. That's not the case. Maybe the core charge was an afterthought because people weren't sending cylinders back. It doesn't matter, because I still have to pay it! My engine isn't going to come apart until the new parts arrive. Until I send in the core my price is still $721.52 when I use his prefered payment method of PayPal. I'm just stating the facts here. We can agree to disagree on the price that's fine.

I have a shop full of Wiseco piston & ring kits that I paid much less than $80 for.

What I meant by intellectual property, was the legwork he did sourcing a sleeve manufacturer and then, the proper sleeve from that manufacturer. He had to send them specs on what he wanted. That took a little thought and he basically designed it.

I've done a good number of engine upgrades and I know what's involved. Most of mine involved Harley engines thought.

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 04-01-2011, 01:08 PM   #44

The price is the price.
It's $527. If you choose to pay the core (an afterthought? Core charges are standard in the industry), so you can get it quicker, that's your choice. Please don't be one of those ignorant people that keeps it. We need the cores to support other customers.

I'll take a dozen KLX Wiseco big bore pistons for $80, and even give you $100 tip.
Thanks for coming out, and adding so much to the discussion.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:16 PM   #45

2009 Kawasaki KLX250SF

Yesterday, I disassembled my brand new motorcycle and removed the wheels. The brake rotors and rear sprocket were then taken off. Shipping to Denver was $77 and some change. The wheels will arrive Wednesday at Woody's Wheel Works. Thankfully, I've done this before and had the right boxes.

Today, I called Zack at Woody's. My Neutech TUbliss system, the new TKC tires and Excel rims are there and waiting on the wheels. Turnaround should just be a couple of days. Woody's shop is the only one that I would trust to do this. His Superlacing process makes these wheels strong and spoke adjustments a thing of the past. He is also doing the wheels for my new KLRE650.

Can't wait to get them back!

Pictures in a week or so!

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E