Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2016, 06:17 PM   #1

No Fish Oil

So, what's wrong with fish oil?

My family physician says it's good for me....

http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=24091

jb

Old 12-30-2016, 08:36 PM   #2

I use the fish oil avidly also. But then I am not concerned about any moving metal parts between my intake and my exhaust.

My emissions, on the other hand,,,,,,,,,, maybe this is not the right forum to share.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
I use the fish oil avidly also. But then I am not concerned about any moving metal parts between my intake and my exhaust.......
Unfortunately I have a few moving metal parts in those locations...

jb

Old 12-30-2016, 09:13 PM   #4

Based on my own TT250, the oil that came out of the crankcase looked just fine. In fact, it looked just like the 10W40 I put in. In my next life I'll wait until the 500 mile service...maybe even the 1000 mile mark. The only way to really determine what is happening is to send a sample out for analysis, $25 well spent.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:54 PM   #5

Quote:
I use the fish oil avidly also. But then I am not concerned about any moving metal parts between my intake and my exhaust.

My emissions, on the other hand,,,,,,,,,, maybe this is not the right forum to share.
What's wrong with your emissions. Are you saying your not CARB approved? Papers please.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 12-30-2016, 11:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
So, what's wrong with fish oil?

My family physician says it's good for me....

http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=24091

jb
I have a family connection to the medical profession (my daughter just graduated from medical school). She asked me "Do you know what you call the med school student who graduates at the very bottom of his class?"

"No," I said.

"Doctor," she told me.

Fish oil is supposed to be good for cholesterol reduction, but don't take my word for it. My experience in this area is that riding an RX3 across China is also good for cholesterol reduction (the super-spicy mostly-vegetarian food we enjoyed on that trip might have had something to do with that). Your mileage may vary.

Old 12-31-2016, 12:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
What's wrong with your emissions. Are you saying your not CARB approved? Papers please.
Those papers come on a roll, really don't think you want to see those.
I'm not CARB approved and don't need to be, great-grandfathered from the days before leaded gasoline was "bad for you".

Old 12-31-2016, 12:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
Unfortunately I have a few moving metal parts in those locations...

jb
Metal in your suspension, perhaps, but shouldn't be any in your fuel processing system.

Old 12-31-2016, 01:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Those papers come on a roll, really don't think you want to see those.
I'm not CARB approved and don't need to be, great-grandfathered from the days before leaded gasoline was "bad for you".
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 12-31-2016, 09:48 AM   #10

OMG I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. You guys are hysterical. I'm reading the comments to my husband and the first thing out of Luke's mouth is "I have metal in my suspension too".

Luke is an avid user of Fish oil. I think the bottle of Fish oil we have in our house is about as big as the whey protein. He won't miss a day taking fish oil. His suspension would not function right without it!

2016 Zongshen RX3 (CSC Cyclone)

Pay it Forward!

Old 12-31-2016, 06:30 PM   #11

Joe, I regret that I might be one of those "self-proclaimed experts" you speak of, even though I know I'm no expert. I drained the oil out of a new Zong engine that was in my quad, and I spilled some on the driveway (as I often do). I left it until the job was over, knowing that I could always dump some kitty litter on it after. It was a very hot day, and after I moved the quad, I was amazed to see that the oil had evaporated! There was no trace of it on the concrete, and I've never seen that happen before. Since that day, my guidance has always been to drain the oil on a new China bike, since a quart of known good oil is cheap insurance.

Your testimony is certainly good enough for me; if you say they're now using Shell oil in the factory, I'm sure it is a fact. It's very good to hear that you have first hand knowledge of this. Thanks for sharing your experience.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-31-2016, 07:27 PM   #12

Weld, let's just consider that the complete motorcycles are being filled with proper oil, possibly because Zongshen is on the path to establishing the mark as a serious player.

The Zongshen motors that are being supplied to other companies for use in their constructions may not be the same stuff. Was that quad a Zong, or was it some other brand?

Old 12-31-2016, 08:03 PM   #13

Jay, it is a quad that is made for a Canadian importer, and I bought it about nine years ago. I agree with you that the complete bikes made by Zong are built to a much higher standard.

My comments about fish oil were simply to share where my thoughts originally came from. The paradigm has since shifted.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-31-2016, 08:49 PM   #14

FWIW, I think this thread demonstrates one thing. In a very short period of time the Chinese Bikes (at least those from Zongshen) have become close to state of the art in terms of manufacturing quality. What was produced ten years ago cannot be compared to what we buy now. Public perception may lag the facts. When I look closely at my two Zongs I'm very happy with the end product. Perfect...no...but damn close and at a great price.

Peter Y.

Old 01-01-2017, 12:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Jay, it is a quad that is made for a Canadian importer, and I bought it about nine years ago. I agree with you that the complete bikes made by Zong are built to a much higher standard.

My comments about fish oil were simply to share where my thoughts originally came from. The paradigm has since shifted.
For clarification, I wasn't trying to imply a higher standard. I think they are just trying to ensure that there is a reduced likelihood of a failure due to lack of lubrication.

In the case of your quad, imagine you produce a high quantity of a variety of engines to supply other businesses. To reduce tooling change time you set up to run a groupa* engines at a time, enough for a year. Instead of leaving them full of proper oil which will oxidize, you service them with a preservative before sealing them up and placing in storage (insert closing scene from Raiders of the Lost Arc). That is possibly what you drained out of the quad.

Jay

*Groupa: Montana unit of measurement, more than a Buncha, less than a Shitload. e.g. We was drinkin' a buncha beers and ate just a whole groupa 'wings.