Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2016, 12:07 PM   #1

Rattling Noise While Engaging Clutch & Turning

Has anyone experienced a rattling noise from the engine areanwhen they are turning with the clutch engaged? Been noticing it on my bike for couple of weeks but bike seems to be normal so I just keep riding it. How long are our clutch supposed to last?

Old 06-29-2016, 08:36 PM   #2

Just to clarify, are you hearing the noise when you are in process of letting clutch lever out from a dead stop? So that you're hearing the noise just as clutch begins to engage and bike starts to move? And you don't hear it once the clutch lever is fully released? If so I sometimes experience something similar, though I have not noticed that it's related to turning. I'd like to know what's doing it, but at least it has not gotten worse.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
Just to clarify, are you hearing the noise when you are in process of letting clutch lever out from a dead stop? So that you're hearing the noise just as clutch begins to engage and bike starts to move? And you don't hear it once the clutch lever is fully released? If so I sometimes experience something similar, though I have not noticed that it's related to turning. I'd like to know what's doing it, but at least it has not gotten worse.
I'd say your due for a shakedown. Get in garage with good light and twist and turn and bump everything looking for loose fasteners. Loose wheel spokes?

Check your muff support connection and also th steering nut. Check stuff under the seat too.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 06-30-2016, 08:37 AM   #4

I don't quite understand how turning is involved. I can tell you however that it is normal to hear rattling if you are sitting at a stop and hold the clutch lever in. Most bikes with basket clutches do that.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Dan's Motorcycle Blog - "Lost? I'm not lost. I'm just exploring. . ."

Old 06-30-2016, 10:46 AM   #5

Mine makes more noise in neutral with the lever out. I pull in the lever and it quiets up considerably. I've heard this on many bikes but I think the plastic covers on the RX3 hides no sounds.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 07-01-2016, 04:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumatae View Post
Has anyone experienced a rattling noise from the engine areanwhen they are turning with the clutch engaged? Been noticing it on my bike for couple of weeks but bike seems to be normal so I just keep riding it. How long are our clutch supposed to last?
Yes mine's always done this...I've got 2500 mi on it now so I guess it's "normal".

Old 07-01-2016, 05:17 PM   #7

It's a weird phenomenon that I have hard time describing. Joe mentioned that my clutch cable could be too tight and when I turn it's making it pull even more which makes total sense. I loosened the cable but with no luck. It still rattles. It's not a big deal. I'm taking my bike to CSC for some warranty parts the Gerry is going to check and so I'll ask him about it if its something I should be concerned with.

Sorry for the lack of responses, I thought I had subscribed to this thread but apparently not.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:18 PM   #8

@2LZ sir I have started to notice this noise as well, I want to ask is it normal or shoudl I be heading to mechnic (its far in the other out skirt of city so I will have to plan) and I am bit concerned as I have to head Himalaya in a pretty darn heavy offroad trek I have already romove a lot of thing to reduce weight though,,, HELP!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Mine makes more noise in neutral with the lever out. I pull in the lever and it quiets up considerably. I've heard this on many bikes but I think the plastic covers on the RX3 hides no sounds.

- Adventure Touring# RX3 - 2017
- Dirt Machine# FSE-450 - 2022
- Classic# Honda CD175 - 1977
- Daily Runner# 1992 - CG125 (engine swap CB250 Sleeper)
- Project#1 : 1995 - Honda C70 w/ 180cc engine swap

Old 07-09-2018, 03:51 PM   #9

Mine makes the clutch noise also. I Think it's normal ,At least my clutch seems to work fine. rj

Old 07-09-2018, 04:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickytulla View Post
@2LZ sir I have started to notice this noise as well, I want to ask is it normal or shoudl I be heading to mechnic (its far in the other out skirt of city so I will have to plan) and I am bit concerned as I have to head Himalaya in a pretty darn heavy offroad trek I have already romove a lot of thing to reduce weight though,,, HELP!!!
I just had both the RX3's out this weekend and both make more noise in neutral with the clutch out. I've not thought much about it. Most have my bikes have made this noise.

That said, you have far more and rougher miles on yours than we do. Did the noise just start or quickly get worse? I know Spud had the big crank nut fling off after a lot of miles.
CSC had it in the tutorials I believe but I can't locate it now.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 07-09-2018, 06:53 PM   #11

Quote:
I just had both the RX3's out this weekend and both make more noise in neutral with the clutch out. I've not thought much about it. Most have my bikes have made this noise.

That said, you have far more and rougher miles on yours than we do. Did the noise just start or quickly get worse? I know Spud had the big crank nut fling off after a lot of miles.
Mine started making that noise after the first oil change. Similar to (but not as loud) a dry clutch.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd1959 View Post
Mine started making that noise after the first oil change. Similar to (but not as loud) a dry clutch.
Clutch basket rattle on all 3 of my RX3 bikes 0 squeeze clutch in and no sound or next to nothing? very common.
my latest bike the nut on crank loose the gear drives to the clutch and was very very loud.
Drain water n oil check it if needed - clutch rattle is common tho and goes away while squeezing the clutch.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:59 AM   #13

1 - I am observing the bike for this noise now there are more symptoms of some thing fishy then noise, I can not bring it to neutral if I am at standing still and engine running, it used to get neutral without effort usually.....

2 - also gear shifts are harder then before I thought it was just clutch adjust ment but on checking it was fine and tightening the clutch doest help much.... instead I have to release more clutch to make the bike move..

3 - Bike if put in gear and clutch pressed is impossible to reverse with foot, say you aer parked in a lot and now you want to paddle it reverse on foot and it is start and gear engaged (as if u mistanely put it in gear and now there is no way to bring it to neautral) you cannot reverse it... have to shut it down brint into neautral and the paddle...

4 - The rattle sound becomes loud when engine is super hot .. like 3~4 dots on heat gauge.

please dont tell me I need a new basket???

Quote:

- Adventure Touring# RX3 - 2017
- Dirt Machine# FSE-450 - 2022
- Classic# Honda CD175 - 1977
- Daily Runner# 1992 - CG125 (engine swap CB250 Sleeper)
- Project#1 : 1995 - Honda C70 w/ 180cc engine swap

Old 08-03-2018, 07:20 AM   #14

My RX3's clutch makes some noise on occasion too.....but go ride a big block Moto Guzzi, they have a dry clutch, and make a LOT more noise then my RX3
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 08-03-2018, 07:35 AM   #15

A lot of jap bikes have a anti shudder ring in the clutch
stack to stop the rattling noise... On my XT660 is is in the first plate
to go in or last plate to come out in the stack...
against the back of the hub... that plate is half as wide as the other
fricton plates and on the inside of it there is a narrow wave washer/strip
that keeps tension on the stack when the clutch is pulled to stop them moveing around/rattleing..

I would say it normal in a motor with out the anti shudder ring..

PS... have you ever heard a dry clutch on a Ducati where theres no oil to damp the sound
of the clutch and air vents in the clutch cover...
77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com