Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues

Old 02-21-2017, 09:58 AM   #1

Pay tax on shipping in Iowa

I talked to my county court house in Iowa. they said I have to also pay tax on the shipping from my online scooter purchase. Is this the norm?

Old 02-21-2017, 12:37 PM   #2

You will have to pay tax on the Total cost of the bike you paid, shipped to your door... if you pay $1,400 on the China Bike and another $300 in shipping fees, expect to get taxed on the full $1,700

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:11 PM   #3

Really? It seems odd paying tax on shipping, but then again, perhaps Arizona has never taxed shipping, or I just never paid attention (the more likely scenario )!?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-22-2017, 03:09 PM   #4

I had to pay it also.

I live in NJ but was unable to get my Pitster Pro LXR 250F registered in NJ because they don't recognize PP as an "authorized" motorcycle manufacturer in this state. I had to go through South Dakota and they required an invoice showing the total cost of the motorcycle to include the $300 shipping. Of course my first thought was "Really, are you kidding me..?" but it wasn't really that big of a deal. I wound up paying an extra $12 for the shipping. I was just glad that S.D. was giving me a plate and on top of it, their sales tax is only 4% compared to NJ's rate of 7% so I was still ahead of the game.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:54 PM   #5

Law enforcement doesn't hassle with permanently out of state plated vehicles? I know California will hassle people with California licenses driving out of state registered vehicles. IN theory, Arizona does, too, but at least here in Yuma, there are too numerous military members, snowbirds, and migrant farm workers, not to mention people living in Mexico and working in AZ to really crack down. It is funny that the migrant farm workers do not register their cars in Arizona even though they might live here longer than in California. It is just that when they live in California for a part of the year, the police, as I mentioned, are sticklers. Seemingly all of the farm workers have California plates.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-23-2017, 11:10 AM   #6

I retired a year ago after being a police officer for 26 years working patrol and traffic my entire career. One thing I wouldn't want to do or be is a hypocrite. With that being said, the enforcement of motor vehicle laws are discretionary upon police officers. It's their call whether they want to issue a summons or a warming, written or verbal. Being that I grew up riding off-road bikes, I've always been 'extremely' generous and understanding when stopping bikers for motor vehicle violations. NJ motor vehicle law requires that once you are a state resident, you have 60 days to transfer your out of state registration over to NJ. In 2010, NJ got rid of the state inspection for motorcycles and it's now "self inspection". The state also put into law that all dirt bikes must be registered and insured also surprisingly. (My guess is they wanted to collect the sales tax on ATV's and off-road vehicles). When I received the MSO for my bike, it is listed as a MOTORCYCLE and states that it meets National Highway Traffic Safety Administration as well as the Environmental Protection Agency for Off-Road Motorcycles. I took it to two different DMV offices and was told the same thing each time: "Your manufacturer is not on our approved list and we can't issue you a registration". I explained that my bike was the first one in NJ and that the MSO was clear that it met the requirements but they weren't budging. Instead of getting all pissed off, I'd already done my research and figured I would probably get denied and knew about the South Dakota loophole. I sent my documents off to S.D. and eleven days later I had my registration and plate. Two months later I received my title.
My situation is something that shows that the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing in NJ. Technically, I can't even ride my bike on private property in the state even though it has EVERYTHING required for a motorcycle to be street legal. It's a Chinese knockoff of the KTM EXC-F series at about a third of the price. Speaking from my perspective and knowing what the laws are here in this state, I would never issue a summons to a rider in my situation when my hands are tied from doing it "the right way". Even getting it insured was a little bit of a concern. I called six insurance companies about insurance and all six said that they had to get back to me because it wasn't in their system. Three called back and said they could and gave the same price quote, $80/yr for minimum coverage. The other three called back saying that they couldn't insure off-road motorcycles. No big deal.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean67 View Post
I retired a year ago after being a police officer for 26 years working patrol and traffic my entire career. One thing I wouldn't want to do or be is a hypocrite. With that being said, the enforcement of motor vehicle laws are discretionary upon police officers. It's their call whether they want to issue a summons or a warming, written or verbal. Being that I grew up riding off-road bikes, I've always been 'extremely' generous and understanding when stopping bikers for motor vehicle violations. NJ motor vehicle law requires that once you are a state resident, you have 60 days to transfer your out of state registration over to NJ. In 2010, NJ got rid of the state inspection for motorcycles and it's now "self inspection". The state also put into law that all dirt bikes must be registered and insured also surprisingly. (My guess is they wanted to collect the sales tax on ATV's and off-road vehicles). When I received the MSO for my bike, it is listed as a MOTORCYCLE and states that it meets National Highway Traffic Safety Administration as well as the Environmental Protection Agency for Off-Road Motorcycles. I took it to two different DMV offices and was told the same thing each time: "Your manufacturer is not on our approved list and we can't issue you a registration". I explained that my bike was the first one in NJ and that the MSO was clear that it met the requirements but they weren't budging. Instead of getting all pissed off, I'd already done my research and figured I would probably get denied and knew about the South Dakota loophole. I sent my documents off to S.D. and eleven days later I had my registration and plate. Two months later I received my title.
My situation is something that shows that the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing in NJ. Technically, I can't even ride my bike on private property in the state even though it has EVERYTHING required for a motorcycle to be street legal. It's a Chinese knockoff of the KTM EXC-F series at about a third of the price. Speaking from my perspective and knowing what the laws are here in this state, I would never issue a summons to a rider in my situation when my hands are tied from doing it "the right way". Even getting it insured was a little bit of a concern. I called six insurance companies about insurance and all six said that they had to get back to me because it wasn't in their system. Three called back and said they could and gave the same price quote, $80/yr for minimum coverage. The other three called back saying that they couldn't insure off-road motorcycles. No big deal.
What a shame because you have a high quality enduro. You had a tough job , not the most likable job by the general public
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 02-23-2017, 10:47 PM   #8

my advice

move to alabama! enough folks leave and they can regulate nothing out of existence.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 02-23-2017, 10:50 PM   #9

another good ? is if i have a bike like yours or a hawk like i do and i have it tagged here and i move up there and they say i have 30 or 60 days to switch my tags over to them then are they going to say no you cant get a tag?
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 03-02-2017, 02:27 AM   #10

All states have different motor vehicle laws so I really can't answer that question. For example, several people have said to me that since I have S.D. registration and a S.D. title for my bike I should be able to go to my local DMV office and say I just moved to NJ and get it registered in NJ. Unfortunately, NJ doesn't operate like that while other states probably do. NJ has a list of "approved motorcycle manufacturers" and every month I check it and my bike manufacturer isn't listed. I really don't see running into a problem so I'm not overly concerned with the transfer of registration.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:17 PM   #11

Doh! Shipping cost included when purchasing.

Every new automobile and new motorcycle I have purchased required me to pay sales tax on the shipping charge. If you look at the Maroney Sticker, window sticker, on new vehicles on a dealers lot, you'll see the shipping charge is included in the total taxable MSRP.
Best to "bargain" to get a lower total selling price.