Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2008, 10:17 PM   #1

Hummer vs. Gio?

I`m very close to ordering one of two bikes and would`t mind hearing a few opinions before I commit.They are the Giovanni 250 with the old Honda style pushrod engine(Zongshen) ,and the Hummer 250 with the same engine.Both have 21/18 inch wheels and identical seat height(38").Parts availability seems to be better with the Hummer(from what I have seen so far) but I am told the Gio`s are of higher quality.Does anyone own one of these bikes?Around here you need both a headlight and tail light for "off road use" so a 12v charging system is a necessity.Do they both have one?Thanks.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:27 AM   #2

I have heard positives on the Gio. I am sure that they have charging systems since they have e-start and most of these china bikes have all the lighting wiring on the engine. You just have to run it to the lights.

Not much info on the hummer, but the bikes are mostly the same and parts interchange easily.

Allen

Old 10-23-2008, 11:43 PM   #3

Myself, I've had good luck with the Gio Machines, although mine are ATV's.

Really I think they're pretty decent built, as long as you kind of consider them a work in progress, rather than a complete machine. i.e. they need the same stuff as almost any China-Built machine-- The Chains suck, The batteries are uber-kaka, Some fiddling *will* be required.

To answer the question, Yup. The gio machines for sure have a charging system. It's the same engine as in the atv's and they run full lights. The only difference in motors as far as I can tell is the ATV has reverse in the basement, and the DirtBike has first in the basement. Also, being an electric start machine, they need some system to charge the batt. back up.

All be it, the charging system is kinda lame, I would say about 10 amps max. Don't want to be running a bunch of KC daylighters on them, that's for sure.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:46 PM   #4

I used to have the Hummer 250 from PR Industries. It was a good bike...very comparable to the gio 250. My friend had the Gio 250 (I have ridden it). Here is my opinion:

Hummer Pros:
Better Suspension (especially front)
Better electrical
Plastic more flexible
Better exhaust

Gio Pros:
Lots of nice little aluminum parts
Keyed ignition (I think that is a good thing)
Much better seat

Other than that they are pretty much the same.

I personally went for the "KTMX 250" for my last purchase. Way better bike than the Gio 250 or the Hummer 250 in my opinion.
Take a look: http://pocketrocket99.tripod.com/id28.html

If you call him, you can probably get it for 1300-1400 CDN delivered.

I hope this helped.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:20 PM   #5

Thanks for all that info guys,it`s really appreciated.Well the more I read about the Gio,the more I want to avoid it.Alot of complaints about Forks blowing,rear hubs shattering,ect.The Hummer looks better and better,but now winnipegmike got me thinking about the KTMx.Now that looks like a nice machine!I`ll have to think this over a little more.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:43 PM   #6

In my humble opinion, I would very definately go for the KTMX 250. All that extra work and upgrades done by PR are worth a whole lot of sweat and regret.
Of course thats coming from me, who bought the crappiest chinabike of them all. The HSUN 200GY!
Wish I had found this website (www.chinariders.net) first!
Riding a blue plated HSUN 200GY (Otherwise know as a ULIKE 200GY, SUNL 200GY or a VIVA SX200S), a 2010 Gio Mini Hummer 110cc ATV, 2010 Gio T3 Rebel ATV, and a 2002 Kawasaki KLR650, 70cc Katera dirtbike, and a 49cc GIO dirtbike...so far!

Old 11-15-2008, 08:04 PM   #7

Okay,the Hummer wins!While the KTMX is probably a better bike,parts availability seem to be limited to PR Industries and I don`t like putting all the eggs in one basket if you know what I mean.I`ll have to perform a few mods to make it legal here so stay tuned and I`ll post pics.Thanks again for the advice guys.You rock!

Old 11-28-2008, 09:40 PM   #8

Tell me a little more about the KTMX bike, it looks awesome. Did you get the one with the street legal upgrades? What is the top speed and fuel capacity?

Old 11-28-2008, 09:53 PM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to DDG1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by deputygene
Tell me a little more about the KTMX bike, it looks awesome. Did you get the one with the street legal upgrades? What is the top speed and fuel capacity?
Unless you can drive to Canada and pick it up it's not an option. It is a really nice bike though. I called and talked to them, they could ship it as far as the nearest terminal at the border. He told me on the phone $739 to that shipping terminal (total cost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). I wish I lived further north.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:13 PM   #10

I am not too sure on the fuel capacity, but I believe the first time I filled it, I put in about 5.5 litres. The top speed I have reached (according to handlebar mounted gps) is 69mph. It would probably do more, but I dont have much straight road to try it out on. 55-60mph is no problem at all, it will do about 50mph in 4th gear. I didn't buy the street legal kit, I made my own (cost about $250-300, not including the gps). I only ride mine on the street to get gas and to get to the trails. The gas station is only about 2 miles and the entrance to where I ride is only about a mile. I am not very comfortable with street riding, so thats about all I do. I can get pretty much anywhere I need to go by taking the trails...until the DREADED Canadian winter arrives.

P.S.
Early in 2008, someone in the US was selling this exact bike, not too sure about now.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:42 AM   #11

GIO's models X31 and X35 are built in China by company called XMOTOS which is the best dirt bike company in China right now.

The other bike, hummer or whatever it's called is made by nobody, in China, and I wouldn't buy anything which is made by nobody in China.

Also, some forgot to mention the fact that X31 bikes come with some really good quality parts such as mikuni carburetor, showa shock, ngk spark plugs, kmc chain. People take it for granted but these are all quality parts making bike perform better and last longer.

Fuel capacity on X31 250cc bikes is 3L which is plenty for it. We do have X35 250cc dirt bike, newer version with 5 L gas tank.

Any questions or concerns I will be happy to assist.