Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2016, 10:21 PM   #1

Squeaky Rear Suspension

Well, after I got done singing the praises of the RX3 over on Advrider, I got home from riding to work, and my rear end is squeaking something fierce. Well, the bikes that is. When I bounce the rear, the squeak is coming from either the top or the bottom shock linkage, sounds like a typical Ford front end with worn bushings, is best I can describe it. Happens on the upstroke and downstroke of the shock. I hit it with some WD40, and it's no better. I've done some dusty dirt road riding, but I've had a few dual sports in my day, and never had an issue. Has anyone had this? I'd rather not tear the rear end apart to regrease it if I don't have to...but nothing seems like it's binding up, it works the way it's supposed to. I only have about 1600 miles on it, or so.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:06 PM   #2

Maybe some RuGLYDE or any number of other product(s) other than WD40 for this project ? remember most "WD40" bottles are only good for what it was labeled to do "Water Displacing" and not really anything for fixing your problems... unless it's water related, or you paid several $$ more for the "Pro" line

Napa has gallon jugs of "RuGLYDE" for $14 or so last time I got a jug

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:45 PM   #3

I know...it was a band aid approach. I can't figure out the squeaking. I just didn't want to disassemble the rear end if I didn't have to. And on a new bike, I shouldn't have to. Not with the mild riding I do.

Old 11-17-2016, 02:23 AM   #4

I'm thinking this with that long straw to get it in there where the bolts hold the shock. I use it all the time. Unless you already tried it. Use it anyway all around on those articulating points. Maybe check for Rubb8ng plastics? Rubbing seat? Squeeking loose muffler?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 11-17-2016, 07:48 AM   #5

Finding the origin of the noise can be troublesome. Can you have someone else bounce the bike while you examine?

Is it possible something is rubbing against the shock spring?

Old 11-17-2016, 08:19 AM   #6

Tried all of the suggestions. Although not the one with the other person. That'll come Friday. I tried spraying around all the articulating joints one at a time to nail down the exact one. Frustrating!!!

Old 11-17-2016, 09:26 AM   #7

Check de rear brake hose where it slides inside the rubber bushings attached to the rear swingarm.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:32 AM   #8

Squeaks are annoying, especially because they are usually travelled from another location. The upside is a squeak usually isn't a sign of anything broken, just lack of lube. I'm not sure about my RX3 but the TT250 had very little grease anywhere.
Hoping it's something simple. probably is..........

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 11-17-2016, 04:08 PM   #9

Leave it to Joe!

http://californiascooterco.com/blog/

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 11-17-2016, 07:32 PM   #10

Yall are awesome! It fixed itself overnight...ill delve into it more this coming week. Just lack of lube. Still loving the bike. Funny how 3 of the big 4 are just now releasing their Adv "Lite" bikes. We beat em to the punch.

****Edit...I just got home and watched the CSC Blog. All I can say is that I'd LOVE to see service and assistance like this from ANY....repeat ANY other company. I love the bike, the service, being part of the CSC family, and the naysayers (and they are really getting fewer and fewer) just don't know what they are missing. I'm also going to cross post this on ADVrider under my longtime screen name of Buckthedog. The masses deserve to see support like this.

Last edited by AdventureDad; 11-17-2016 at 09:30 PM.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureDad View Post
Yall are awesome! It fixed itself overnight...ill delve into it more this coming week. Just lack of lube. Still loving the bike. Funny how 3 of the big 4 are just now releasing their Adv "Lite" bikes. We beat em to the punch.

****Edit...I just got home and watched the CSC Blog. All I can say is that I'd LOVE to see service and assistance like this from ANY....repeat ANY other company. I love the bike, the service, being part of the CSC family, and the naysayers (and they are really getting fewer and fewer) just don't know what they are missing. I'm also going to cross post this on ADVrider under my longtime screen name of Buckthedog. The masses deserve to see support like this.
You made a great commit here. I think you should send to Joe at csc . He will put it on his blob I bet for all to read.

I get those squeaks associated with my drumb brake it seems. I think it's the caliechie dust and small pebbles. They come and go.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 11-17-2016, 11:31 PM   #12

Not sure how to send it...but thank you. I also posted a similar one at ADVrider, I do hope he sees it.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Not sure how to send it...but thank you. I also posted a similar one at ADVrider, I do hope he sees it.
This was mentioned by Joe in his blog, Drop me a line (info@cscmotorcycles.com) and let me know your thoughts

Old 11-18-2016, 12:17 AM   #14

Done!

Old 11-18-2016, 10:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Done!
Cool. Chinariders represent!