Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2016, 06:42 AM   #1

Hawk 250 Washington State Registration

I'm looking to order a Hawk 250 for my very first bike ever in the next couple days. I have around 2gs saved up and I saw the Hawk 250 as the best bang for my buck. I have about one day of riding experience only. Lol but I'm looking for a dual sport with at least a 250cc engine. I don't have any experience working on bikes, but I'm willing to learn. I'm willing to go used as long as I'm not completely stuck working on a bike every day due to it having multiple issues from being used. I'm 5'9 and 155 pounds if that helps with anything.

Here are my main questions.
1.) Has anyone registered a Hawk in the state of WA?
2.) If so, what was the process?
3.) If not, do you know what the process of registering one would be?
4.) What other dual sport bikes could you recommend? (They don't have to be Chinese, just affordable)

Thanks. This is my first post on this forum, btw. Looking forward to hopefully learning a lot.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:04 AM   #2

The Hawk should be a good first bike as long as you are comfortable mechanically to work on bikes. Of course, you will have multiple members here helping you out, so the 'Chinese' part (the stuff that breaks) should be able to be overcome. The catch is, you have to be able to put the bike together unless there are dealers up that way for the Hawk, so you will need some mechanical skills from the get go. Your height should be fine for the Hawk, especially as you will want to wear boots or large, sturdy shoes when you ride. Have you considered the MSF course? Will still allow for a Hawk AND the class, and should still leave you with $ in your pocket!

Not sure if you looked into the TT250, but those come assembled, although might bust your budget by a few hundred dollars, whereas the Hawk will leave you with some cash in the bank, for doing your own work. A used Japanese bike is usually a good alternative, but you usually do not know how the previous owner treated the bike. A sorted out Chinese bike is, nowadays, VERY reliable. One of our members here, a few months back, bought a Bashan enduro, assembled from a dealer in Salt Lake City (or somewhere in Utah). She rode the bike cross country to Brooklyn where she was going to fly back to Israel. If I remember, she was short, and a newbie to bikes.

Others will chime in, so see what is best for you!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 08-31-2016, 11:34 AM   #3

Welcome, Jako!

Your size is perfect for wringing all the power out of a China bike.

Owning a China bike takes a sense of humour. If you are inclined to perform all of the maintenance yourself, several members here will be prepared to guide you. Plan to learn all sorts of new things, like jetting a carb or setting valves; these things are part of the China bike process.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-31-2016, 01:22 PM   #4

Kudos for saving and paying cash for this bike. You should take note of culcune s comment's. The Build process will start you on your way as being confident in your mechanical skills. It's all here and on the Web. Just have the courage to go ahead and do it!

Btw...Street riding is 100% concentration
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 08-31-2016, 02:00 PM   #5

I don't know if people are registering the Hawk in Washington state, but we are shipping about one per week to Washington. Since dealers are responsible for registration, the best thing to do is just ask dealers whether they can do it. Some dealers are better with various regions than others.

Old 09-01-2016, 03:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Rinkleff View Post
I don't know if people are registering the Hawk in Washington state, but we are shipping about one per week to Washington. Since dealers are responsible for registration, the best thing to do is just ask dealers whether they can do it. Some dealers are better with various regions than others.
Thanks for all the replies guys! It was all really helpful. I went ahead and made the decision. I ordered a Hawk from KillerMotorSports and it should be here within the next couple days. I got most of my registration questions answered by calling my local DMV. Aside from that... I'm excited to learn some basic motorbike mechanical skills and learning how to ride as well. Once again! Super cool/helpful/insightful forum. I'll probably be coming back on the regular.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jako1016 View Post
I'll probably be coming back on the regular.
You have to; you're a member for life. Didn't you read the fine print?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-01-2016, 01:58 AM   #8

jako1016, did you get your bike? How was the registration in WA?

Tags
hawk 250cc registration