Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2017, 01:49 PM   #1

What's it worth?

I'm just trying to get an idea on what my 2016 Hawk with 31 miles is worth. It has the stock exhaust and Carb. The only mods are aftermarket brake and clutch lever with hand guards. It also has that license plate box with a frame. I've changed all the fluids and it has been sitting in my garage.

Thanks for all your help,
-2016 Hawk 250 - Kitty Hawk - eBay exhaust, Mikuni carb(120 main/30 Pilot), airbox mod with K&N filter, digital cluster, total LEDs, 17/45 sprockets, RK chain, Shinko 244 tires, trunk, aftermarket levers, burrito tube, skid plate, Sargent Cycle Seat...
-2003 HD Sportster 100th Anniversary
-1999 Buell X-1 Lightning - Race kit, Buell Seat

Old 06-29-2017, 01:55 PM   #2

The one drawback to these bikes is that they don't tend to have the best resale value. However, since the Hawks seem to be a more sought after bike in the world of Chinese motorcycles in the US, you may be able to get more out of it. I think for almost no miles on it asking $1000 as a starting price would be plenty fair. Then it is just a matter of what people are willing to pay.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-29-2017, 03:21 PM   #3

I saw one go for $1300 on my local craigslist (Milwaukee). It had aftermarket exhaust and digital cluster. If you're looking to sell, take good pics and you should be fine.

If you don't mind me asking what made you stop riding the Hawk?

Old 06-29-2017, 06:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamey View Post
If you don't mind me asking what made you stop riding the Hawk?
I had a bad experience with the bike, dealership and manufacturer. I posted about it. I work in an OR at a hospital in Florida. I see all sorts of injuries come across the table. Most are caused by the other driver, but some are rider error. I have enough to think about when I'm riding. I don't need to worry about my motorcycle coming apart.

Be safe out there!
-2016 Hawk 250 - Kitty Hawk - eBay exhaust, Mikuni carb(120 main/30 Pilot), airbox mod with K&N filter, digital cluster, total LEDs, 17/45 sprockets, RK chain, Shinko 244 tires, trunk, aftermarket levers, burrito tube, skid plate, Sargent Cycle Seat...

Old 06-29-2017, 06:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbo7106 View Post
I had a bad experience with the bike, dealership and manufacturer. I posted about it. I work in an OR at a hospital in Florida. I see all sorts of injuries come across the table. Most are caused by the other driver, but some are rider error. I have enough to think about when I'm riding. I don't need to worry about my motorcycle coming apart.

Be safe out there!
Orthopedist section? I've broken my tibia and fibula twice! the doc had to remove the first titanium rod because it got bend after the second accident and install a new one, that place looked and sound like a furniture shop, saws, drills, chisels and hammers everywhere

Old 06-29-2017, 11:04 PM   #6

Quote:

Be safe out there!
I think you need to proof that bike and next time off for vacation load it up and get out to the boondocks and camp and explore and experience the freedom! You don't even have it broken in. We have enjoyed your posts and hate to lose you so soon. It's such a small investment you might as well hang on to it. I'm sure mine will just end up in the weeds or with .5inch of dust leaning in the tractor shed someday cause I'm not going to worry about selling it. Will have my fun and move on. Or, I'll be an old fart someday and some kid will be mowing my grass and we will play let's make a deal with it for free cuts.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 06-30-2017, 02:26 AM   #7

I agree with Blackbike. I know problems can get frustrating, believe you me I know that all too well, even with my Honda and other big name bikes in the past. You just have to accept the bikes are a bit cheap. If the rear wheel hub failure is the reason (I couldn't find the specific post you mentioned in this thread about it) then instead of potentially spending hundreds of dollars in getting a whole TT250, why not order a TT250 rear hub and lace it up to your current rim. CSC has them listed for about $72, and the rear sprocket bolts to the hub instead of using the pin style cush drive of the Hawk. I have honestly considered doing this very same thing if I can't get my sprocket to stay in place. There are some unknowns as far as wheel spacers etc, but the rear suspension, brakes, etc are more or less the same. I am sure you could contact CSC or a willing TT250 owner to verify dimensions of parts. I have a pair of TT250 axle adjusters and brake pedal on order, because they were way cheaper than TX Powersports has them listed for. I am also looking at re-doing my rear wheel bearings, because they were seated too tightly and the inner race is VERY hard, bordering on almost impossible, to move. Another manufacturing flaw that I would never have caught if my bike didn't get laid down.

What exactly failed on the Hawk that makes you not want to ride it anymore. Is it rideable now?

Also, if you are worried about this bike coming apart on you, then be afraid of any bike you ever ride. 12 personal bikes of my own, and numerous others I have worked on. Everything from 1960's Harleys through brand new Euro sport bikes, and I have yet to see a bike that didn't end up with some sort of critical part failure. My friends 2015 GSXR1000, with 300 miles on it, had a front wheel bearing literally explode on him going down the road, and he almost wrecked because of it. Nobody knows why or how, and it might be that exception to the rule, but even the best stuff has flaws sometimes. Yes, I am sure his warranty experience was far superior, but that's what happens when you buy a big name brand bike with a huge dealer network. That's also why you spend thousands on those bikes, not less than 2.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Last edited by Megadan; 06-30-2017 at 04:01 AM.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:26 AM   #8

I have to agree wit MegaDan and BlackBike on this one, give it a chance to prove that it is as safe as other bike out there, the only way to do that is to ride it.

we all had issues out of the crate with these bikes. my speedo didnt work, my battery was cracked, the clutch cable streched out after 75 miles to the point there was no more adjustment in it...but I still enjoy riding the Hawk,

I think with a little time on the road you will gain the confidence in it to be able to enjoy it.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
I agree with Blackbike. I know problems can get frustrating, believe you me I know that all too well, even with my Honda and other big name bikes in the past. You just have to accept the bikes are a bit cheap. If the rear wheel hub failure is the reason (I couldn't find the specific post you mentioned in this thread about it) then instead of potentially spending hundreds of dollars in getting a whole TT250, why not order a TT250 rear hub and lace it up to your current rim. CSC has them listed for about $72, and the rear sprocket bolts to the hub instead of using the pin style cush drive of the Hawk. I have honestly considered doing this very same thing if I can't get my sprocket to stay in place. There are some unknowns as far as wheel spacers etc, but the rear suspension, brakes, etc are more or less the same. I am sure you could contact CSC or a willing TT250 owner to verify dimensions of parts.
Also, talk to whoever you bought the hawk from, they may have wheel sets lying around that they're willing to sell for cheap. I bought an extra wheelset (front and rear with tires) for $90.

Part of the reason these bikes are so cheap is because there is pretty much no service tech/dealer network that you're paying for. So instead of having the dealer/manufacturer take care of your issue, you have to figure it out. It's a daunting (at first) but rewarding experience! We'll give you all the help we can in this forum, you've got engineers, machinists, and generally handy guys galore here! It's doable, you just gotta stick with it.

Or you can offload the hawk, and if you want to continue riding motorcycles, buy a much more expensive one that comes with the peace of mind that having a dedicated service tech/dealer network brings (I wouldn't hold that against you if you did )

Old 06-30-2017, 12:19 PM   #10

I guess I missed the bad experience part (aging brain) but I do agree that the bikes and cars I didn't have luck with out of the gate, gave me trouble the whole time, regardless of all the work, love and forgiveness I gave them. I get it kirbo. There's other bikes out there. Brush off the dust, move forward.

Regarding resale, bikes are toys. You have to look at it in percentages. Everyone talks about the poor resale of a China bike.....but percentage-wise, I've always done well with mine. As an example, if you spent 1300.00 (not counting tax and license), and you sell it for 1100.00, you got 85% which isn't bad at all for a dirt bike. It's just unfortunate the utter lack of miles you have on it. I've lost WAY more percentage-wise than that on some of my big road bikes and Japanese dual sports. You take a true bloody flogging on MX bikes.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 07-01-2017, 11:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardoguitars View Post
Orthopedist section? I've broken my tibia and fibula twice! the doc had to remove the first titanium rod because it got bend after the second accident and install a new one, that place looked and sound like a furniture shop, saws, drills, chisels and hammers everywhere
Yeah, it's like a shop class, except that everything is expensive! And the teacher is a surgeon and they typically have a huge ego!

Be safe out there!

Old 07-01-2017, 12:33 PM   #12

Thanks!

I just wanted to thank everyone for their time and replies. After reading all the posts, I've decided to hang on to my Hawk for the time being. I still have to fix it and get it dialed in.

Yeah Wamey, we bought bikes with no tech/dealer support! I still like the bike, but if I decide to get another Chinese dual sport motorcycle, it will either be an SSR or CSC.

Megadan, yeah, it's frustrating not having a parts department. When I needed a clutch lever, the dealer didn't have any, but said that they levers off a certain model bike were the same. Well, they were wrong! I'm watching your posts about the studs, so keep us updated!

BlackBike, yeah, I have a tendency to hold on to some vehicles. Yet others, not so much so. I had no problem selling my Subaru station wagon.

Old kid, for the 30 miles I rode my Hawk, I liked it. I figured I will finish it up and see where it takes me.

2lz, Tell me more about your bikes!

Thanks again and be safe out there!

Old 07-01-2017, 02:55 PM   #13

Too many of us are happy with our Hawks for you not to be too. I think when you get it fixed up and get some miles on it, your trust and confidence in the bike will grow. If nothing else, you'll know it inside and out! Glad you're keeping it

Old 07-01-2017, 03:28 PM   #14

Quote:
I just wanted to thank everyone for their time and replies. After reading all the posts, I've decided to hang on to my Hawk for the time being. I still have to fix it and get it dialed in.

Yeah Wamey, we bought bikes with no tech/dealer support! I still like the bike, but if I decide to get another Chinese dual sport motorcycle, it will either be an SSR or CSC.

Megadan, yeah, it's frustrating not having a parts department. When I needed a clutch lever, the dealer didn't have any, but said that they levers off a certain model bike were the same. Well, they were wrong! I'm watching your posts about the studs, so keep us updated!

BlackBike, yeah, I have a tendency to hold on to some vehicles. Yet others, not so much so. I had no problem selling my Subaru station wagon.

Old kid, for the 30 miles I rode my Hawk, I liked it. I figured I will finish it up and see where it takes me.

2lz, Tell me more about your bikes!

Thanks again and be safe out there!
A rear hub failure is not common on Hawk motor cycles. I know Merlin had a hub failure on another make of motor cycle, one with a drum brake at the rear. But your problem is a warrantiable complaint. If the people who sold you the bike won't help, RPS is the importer, and needs to know that one of his dealers is not honoring the warranty....ARH