Old 04-12-2008, 12:51 PM   #16

wow so much help now were talking about dumb french toast

Old 04-12-2008, 12:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by idcountryboy1
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll174/idcountryboy/tommy003.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...y/tommy006.jpg

here are the pics
Did You clean that chain? Looks dry as a bone.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:19 PM   #18

i wash it of when i clean my bike after all my rides then spray it with some lube but it is cheap walmart crap

Old 04-12-2008, 01:22 PM   #19

Nice pics.
It really just broke.
These china bike chains are not all that great and dont hold up to much abuse.

From the looks of that chain it looks pretty dry.
You have a lot of work to do on it but once you get it back together you'll be fine.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:27 PM   #20

told you it just broke i have a lot to do and like 7 cent in my bank account so i might be a lil testy for the next week since i dont get to ride horse crap riding is my life i wake up to ride and be in this great country that i ride in up here in north idaho well that life

Old 04-12-2008, 03:07 PM   #21

Lube, what lube ?

Lube, what Lube ? I don't see that it ever had lube ever ????

Hope you can scrape up enough money to get your bike going, hang in there . It's a drag man, I know, I used to be a one bike owner and it aint a pretty life .

PS. off topic , sorry to hijack, but darn that was funny Culcune !
TeamCheap, your a riot too at times , I love this place .
" Freedom Toast " now don't even get me going on that one Culcune 8O
I promised myself I would refrain from most every political item for now on . But, its soooo hard to do when you write stuff like that Culcune
But, I won't do it !!!! See, I am growing . The Dahhli Lamma taught me that . Hee hee

Later, kelly5150

Old 04-12-2008, 03:28 PM   #22

Way way back.......pre o-ring days......... I used to go so far as to pull a chain off and clean it real good (I think I used kerosene-it was handy-soaked it-scrubed it real good) and dried it real good and just submerged it in a quart of fresh motor oil overnight just because I'm silly.

Then a day later just lift it up and hang it until most of the oil dripped off and give it a little wipe down and reinstall but that was just my being silly that way.

The only tools needed were a pair of those extremely common pliers (to remove/install the master link) and a small tub/pan/container just large enough to hold the chain all curled up flat.

Of course that was back long before we had all these other fine chain maintenance products out there.

Old 04-12-2008, 04:29 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCheap
Way way back.......pre o-ring days......... I used to go so far as to pull a chain off and clean it real good (I think I used kerosene-it was handy-soaked it-scrubed it real good) and dried it real good and just submerged it in a quart of fresh motor oil overnight just because I'm silly.

Then a day later just lift it up and hang it until most of the oil dripped off and give it a little wipe down and reinstall but that was just my being silly that way.

The only tools needed were a pair of those extremely common pliers (to remove/install the master link) and a small tub/pan/container just large enough to hold the chain all curled up flat.

Of course that was back long before we had all these other fine chain maintenance products out there.
Dang, I must really be a dinosaur then because that's they way I have been doing the chain on my Lifan!

But the Tedium has an X-ring chain... love that one! Just a shot of WD-40 to keep it clean, let it dry for a bit and then it's good to go.

Old 04-12-2008, 04:48 PM   #24

Yeah those NON-O-ring chains are a bit more work to keep healthy but it's better than replacing them all the time.

I like the simplicity of the O-ring type chains.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:05 AM   #25

TeamCheap

TeamCheap, we must be related ?
Your probably saying heck no , how could that be, oh the humanity !!!
I used to submerge my chain, still do actually on the Norton , in degreaser first, then in Bardhal cycle oil , heated up on my BBQ lightly over easy for ten minutes , let sit overnight to absorb into the metal molecules , wipe off and were good to go for another 10,000 miles. I throw my chain away at 10,000 along with my two sprockets and my Metzler Tires . Now thats anal retentive, but it makes this fine machine what it is , safe . I only get 10,000 miles out of my chain or tires or sprockets on the bike anyway . Yes, it has that much torque , 923cc and I race it hard on the road .

I hope IDcountryboy1 doesn't get confused about all the advice on these chains, or thinks he needs an O-Ring chain either . I have seen them break on many a Drag Harley from Torque . I personally won't buy an O-ring because of it, but that's just MHO of course. Overrated and overpriced as they are also . You cannot re-invent the mousetrap man, a good chain is all he needs , not an O-ring chain per say .

I wish too his bikes had chain oilers like the Norton has . Would make it a simple thing for him to keep it lubed up all the time . I still add lube to my chain, but that's just me. My bikes are very oily in the rear-end . Lube man lube !!!!!!!

Cheers brother . I had to laugh when I read your post about your oil bath That's really not a bad way to do it with the standard chains anyway . My Dad showed me that one on his Norton way back in the day . That's just one good way to get the oil molecules into metal . You don't want to dis-temper the darn chain of course with too much heat, but a little heat will open molecules . Heck, he was a Jet Mechanic for the Air-Farce , so he knows how that works obviously . He told me they used to do the same thing with the GE Chain Gun machine gun chains in overhaul in Veitnam . I know its worked for me for my entire life, no chain failures , period . I have lost a master link clip, then the chain once, but never broke a chain ??? That must take some doing ? Or BAD maintenance and no lube, or not enough lube .

Good luck agian IDcountryboy1 , I am sure your learning the lesson by now on all this stuff .

Cheers, Kelly5150

Old 04-13-2008, 06:05 AM   #26

kelly5150 we're not related directly I'm sure but somewhat like minded.

yeah the oil baths work but you have to clean it first then make sure it is dry and then let it soak in oil.NON-O-ring chains
Of course I dont do that everytime just once in a while when it really needs it, the real trick is to check the chain before EVERY ride and shoot some oil on it if needed and it almost always needs oil.

(chain maintenance can/should be done on the bike-bike up on stand-tire off ground)
(clean the dirt off first-if the chain is really dirty take it off and clean it thoroughly-let dry-you dont want that cleaner diluting your chain oil do ya-be careful with O-ring chains)
(lube the chain thoroughly-lightly wipe off excess if it bothers you-I just let mine drip and splatter- and I have shirts to prove it- )
(check chain adjustment-a nice smooth free moving chain is better to check chain free play with than a bound up chain-but I'm just silly that way)

I hope idcountryboy1 has learned that a little bit of maintenance will take him a long way and is easier, quicker and less expensive than repairing/replacing.

keeping a chain clean, lubed and properly adjusted is just something that people who LOVE to ride do.

It's a good thing idcountryboy1 is riding a motorcycle and not using a chain saw (think about it)

Old 04-13-2008, 11:33 AM   #27

Teamcheap

TeeamCheap ,
your right, clean off the degreaser or whatever your using prior to lube , forgot that part for IDcoutnryboy1 . What would I do without you Teamcheap ? Probably live a happy un-messed with life, but that's besides the point .

Chainsaw, are you kidding !!!!!!
Be that as it may , I bet he would still be typing and spelling badly with a freekin pencil , pushing keypads on this machine still with his teeth , whats left of them , till a virus ate his computer from lack of maintenace .

Just teasing I think ?

I think a chain breaker is going to save his life . If he had to cut off the top of a link pin to shorten the chain with a moto-tool or die grinder , it would probably scratch the chain and we'd be right back where were at today . I guarentee thats where it would break, seen it done .

Cheers, Kelly

Old 04-13-2008, 11:43 AM   #28

I think he has the chain breaking part down.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:16 PM   #29

Teamcheap

Teamcheap,
your just wrong man, just wrong .

I must be looking at a mirror today in your ramblings ?
I could swear I would've and should've wrote that last post of yours !

But seriously, the chain breaker is nice to have for him, the real one that is .

Cheers, hope he gets her going anyway , even if he likes to Text-Type everything, reguardless of how it annoys me. I do my share of annoying him obviuosly too, its all good , just hope he is up and riding soon anyway .

Later IDcountryboy1 and Teamcheap .
Have a great day .
Kelly5150 out

Old 04-13-2008, 12:57 PM   #30

I'll go where some men know better than to go.

Yeah I hope he gets it up and running, I'm sure he will.
The chain breaker is nice but since he's flat broke I doubt that will be his first purchase.

Closed Thread