Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2015, 12:45 AM   #1

Anyone know much about a Jianshe Flywing X100?

I bought one of these bikes a few weeks ago, and go a good deal on it. It ran good when I got it, didnt drive it until I got home. This is the first dirtbike Ive ever personally bought or owned so Im new to this, even though its common sense I should have test drove it before bringing it home. Anyhow, the person told me it was a Honda MX100 first off. It was about 9pm when I bought it, so I brought it home and the next day I test drove it. It started up fine, but as I get going down the road I notice a wobble in the rear end. That was the beginning of the problems. While I am at least a bit proficient in working on vehicles, my small engine and motorcycle repair and diagnoses skills are nill. I just have a few questions, and also issues, that if anyone could give me some info or help on, I would really appreciate it.

1. I have read around these forums these bikes are based on a Yamaha PW80 frame, with a horizontal 100cc Honda engine, and some even said modeled after a Dirt Runner 49, but the DR 49 is 49cc. So my question is, does anyone know what the actual cc is of the Flywing MX100? Also, which model it is closest to so that I could order parts for it?

2. I mentioned the rear tire wobbling earlier. Today I was going over it and noticed that one of the chain tensioners, on the righ side was broken so the right side could slide back and forth. I went out and bought a new set of tensioners, and adjusted them to where the chain wasnt too tight or too loose. Tightened down the axel bolts and test drove it, and the wobble was still there just not quite as bad. So I go back and look over it again and notice there are some loose spokes. Could this be making the back tire wobble? I know the most obvious reason is a bent rim, I was just hoping this isnt the case. If the loose spokes could be the culprit, could I just tighten them up a bit and it would help?

3. And lastly, I have some slight, very very slight oil leakage from a little silver cover type thing on the right side of the bike. Its close to where I put oil in and also close to the little glass hole where I can check the oil level. Heres is a few pics.

http://s28.postimg.org/g2wnfc1gd/KIMG0008.jpg
http://s28.postimg.org/9y55209ct/KIMG0009.jpg

The oil seeps from the bottom of that litle siler plate, towards the right side of it. You can tell it is deffinitley coming from the silver plate.
I was thinking it is most likely a seal, or gasket that is the issue. My question is, is there anything I could make a "home-made" gasket or seal out of for it? I'm not even sure what it looks like, but is thre some type of material that would work for this? The oil just barely leaks, its a super super slow leak. When its running it leaks a bit more, but still not much.

4. Oh, I almost forgot. I would like to make it to where you need a key to start this bike. I noticed it has an on/off switch that wont start unless its on and if you turn it off it kills the bike. Would is just be as simple as buying, say a scooter key/ignition or even a go cart key/ignition and wiring it into that on/of witch? Or is it a lot harder than that?

Also just parts in general, would anyone happen to know here I could find parts for, or compatible with, this bike? If i can find out which model motor this one is cloned like that will help a lot.
Thanks for taking the time to read this long arse post! Any input or info is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:24 PM   #2

Welcome!

I have quite a bit that I can share with you about this bike, since I worked on Son of Weldangrind's Dirt Runner 49 a lot. Your bike frame is cloned from the Yamaha PW80, and the engine is a clone of a Honda horizontal motor. The frame of architecture of the motor is the 50 / 70cc motor, and your model has been bored and stroked to nearly 100cc. FYI, you can bolt in a 125 or 140 if you choose.

Look for the actual displacement to be stamped on the cylinder. The cylinder head is silver, and is where you'll find the spark plug. The cylinder is right below that, and it's black and finned. Don't be surprised to find a number like 88 on it, which means 88cc. Most motorcycle manufacturers have been guilty of rounding up. A 110cc engine is actually 107cc.

The leak looks to be coming from the cover for the automatic clutch adjuster. Remove the two screws and the cover, and I presume you'll see an o-ring that's worn. Just buy a matching o-ring from a hardware store, or an assorted o-ring kit from Harbor Freight.

If you need to order parts, the easiest source is eBay. You'll find ridiculous amounts of stuff for your bike. Don't bother with brand names; just search for things like "125 dirt bike carburetor", and you'll find what you need.

Yes, please tighten those spokes immediately. When the spokes are at an adequate tension, they'll ring when struck with a wrench. The act of tightening the spokes to correct a wobble is called truing a wheel, and it takes some practice. Search Youtube for vids on it.

Yes, you can install a key switch. Find a cheap one on eBay that you'll be able to mount somewhere, and let us know once you have that part sorted out. We can help you connect it from there.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-29-2015, 05:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Welcome!

I have quite a bit that I can share with you about this bike, since I worked on Son of Weldangrind's Dirt Runner 49 a lot. Your bike frame is cloned from the Yamaha PW80, and the engine is a clone of a Honda horizontal motor. The frame of architecture of the motor is the 50 / 70cc motor, and your model has been bored and stroked to nearly 100cc. FYI, you can bolt in a 125 or 140 if you choose.

Look for the actual displacement to be stamped on the cylinder. The cylinder head is silver, and is where you'll find the spark plug. The cylinder is right below that, and it's black and finned. Don't be surprised to find a number like 88 on it, which means 88cc. Most motorcycle manufacturers have been guilty of rounding up. A 110cc engine is actually 107cc.

The leak looks to be coming from the cover for the automatic clutch adjuster. Remove the two screws and the cover, and I presume you'll see an o-ring that's worn. Just buy a matching o-ring from a hardware store, or an assorted o-ring kit from Harbor Freight.

If you need to order parts, the easiest source is eBay. You'll find ridiculous amounts of stuff for your bike. Don't bother with brand names; just search for things like "125 dirt bike carburetor", and you'll find what you need.

Yes, please tighten those spokes immediately. When the spokes are at an adequate tension, they'll ring when struck with a wrench. The act of tightening the spokes to correct a wobble is called truing a wheel, and it takes some practice. Search Youtube for vids on it.

Yes, you can install a key switch. Find a cheap one on eBay that you'll be able to mount somewhere, and let us know once you have that part sorted out. We can help you connect it from there.

Wow, thanks so much for all the information. So the first thing I did was went and checked for the number you mentioned. I found two, the first one was 14-2 it was on the bottom of the cylinder, an the next one was 97mL it was on the right side of the cylinder. Heres a pic of both.

http://w56i.imgup.net/KIMG0006fd4f.jpg
http://v74i.imgup.net/KIMG00077765.jpg

I am guessing it's a 97cc? I can't see it being 142cc, plus the dash didn't make sense to me, although I could be wrong. If it is a 97cc, I noticed like you said ATVs, Dirtbikes, etc tend to round up to the nearest cc. So when searching for parts on eBay I would just search, say "100cc dirtbike performance air filter" or something similar, right? And if I wanted to buy body parts, like plastics, or handle bars, or a new throttle would I search for PW80 stuff or try to find the right kind or my actual brand?

I'll probably bring the old O-Ring or whatnot with me to make sure I get teh right one. Is there any type of like sealant I should put on before tightening it back down or just put the O-Ring on it and bolt her back on?

Theres no special tool I need to tighten the spokes or anything right? I tried a few using just a pair of pliers and it seemed to work. Ill be sure to check those vids out too.

I also noticed another little problem today when I rode it for a bit. Before I rode it, my chain was perfect not to tight when I was sitting on the bike and not loose when I wasnt sitting on it.(this is a quick question too, how tight should my chain be, like how much play should be in it?) I took it for a ride, and when I got back, the chain was quite a bit looser than when I left. I know that the chain tensioners were tight, and that the axle bolts were tight. The only thing I can think of is on the right side there is a rather large washer or spacer, but nothing like this on the left hand side, I took pictures which are below. Any idea what could be cause that to happen? I know I tightened up eveything really good before leaving.

http://i.imgur.com/qrpBw5n.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ZpNw7rs.jpg

Thanks again for all the help man, its greatly appreciated!

Old 03-30-2015, 10:42 AM   #4

You're welcome.

You're right, it's 97cc. I wish they always rounded up to the next highest number, but sometimes they really cheat. Several of the 250cc bikes are actually only 223cc.

Just search for "dirt bike air filter", without the engine size. What is important is the OD of the mouth of your carb; mine is 42mm, so that's what I search for. For plastics, either search for Flywing, Pantera, Baja or PW80. You can also just search for "dirt bike plastic", and see if you find a match. You will eventually. You can find a complete set, and use that as an opportunity to change the colour of your bike, if you like.

The o-ring just needs a little oil on it. On the topic of oil, you need to use something compatible with a wet clutch, like four-stroke motorcycle oil. I use Rotella 15W40 from Walmart, which was originally intended for diesel engines. It's perfect for wet clutch bikes.

You can either use a small adjustable wrench or a dedicated spoke wrench on your spokes. I finally bought a spoke wrench from www.bikebandit.com or www.rockymountainatvmc.com (can't remember which), and it has interchangeable ends to suit any bike. For me, it was well worth it.

First of all, cheap chains stretch, so expect that. Second, that spacer should likely be between the wheel and frame, not outside of the frame. You can use PW80 chain tension instructions as your guide, which should be easy to find on Youtube.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-30-2015, 10:47 AM   #5

BTW, what really separates your bike from a PW80 is the engine. Aside from it being a Honda clone, it is a four stroke, where the PW80 is a two stroke. Follow whatever frame instructions you find for a PW80 (like chain adjustment), but disregard any engine references.

On that note, your existing exhaust pipe is meant for a two-stroke, and is definitely wrong for your bike. If you want more power, you'd need a four stroke pipe and muffler. Let us know if you want more info on that.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:45 PM   #6

Quote:
BTW, what really separates your bike from a PW80 is the engine. Aside from it being a Honda clone, it is a four stroke, where the PW80 is a two stroke. Follow whatever frame instructions you find for a PW80 (like chain adjustment), but disregard any engine references.

On that note, your existing exhaust pipe is meant for a two-stroke, and is definitely wrong for your bike. If you want more power, you'd need a four stroke pipe and muffler. Let us know if you want more info on that.
Man your like an encyclopedia for me right now, haha

So as long as its the right MM air filter, where its goes onto the carb, I should be good. I'l also switch that spacer to the inside of the frame today, see if that will help me out some. I've found a few good websites for certain parts that eBay didnt have, wwww.bikebandit.com being one of them haha, but for the most part I have found everything I need on eBay with no issues.

And wow is that really a two-stroke exhaust on there? Is this common for these bikes? Guess I'll go check out some 4 stroke honda exhaust or something to see if I can find one thatll work. And yes, any extra info I can get about this bike is great;ly appreciated! Thanks again and have a great day.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:36 PM   #7

Here's a pic of your existing exhaust pipe: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIRT-BIKE-EX...item2c923f4b8b

It has a two-stroke expansion chamber, and then it necks down to a tiny little pipe, right where the muffler connects. That's how closely they copied the PW80, without realizing that a four stroke engine doesn't use an expansion chamber.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:40 PM   #8

This might be a little steep for your liking, but it would let your little engine breathe: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Muffler-Exha...316ca2&vxp=mtr

I bought a used CRF50 exhaust for Son of Weldangrind's Dirt Runner, and it made a world of difference. The CRF50 pipe is not a bolt-on deal, but it's not difficult to figure out. The muffler in the above link would be simple to install.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:20 AM   #9

Quote:
This might be a little steep for your liking, but it would let your little engine breathe: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Muffler-Exha...316ca2&vxp=mtr

I bought a used CRF50 exhaust for Son of Weldangrind's Dirt Runner, and it made a world of difference. The CRF50 pipe is not a bolt-on deal, but it's not difficult to figure out. The muffler in the above link would be simple to install.
Wow thats actually a nice exhaust and muffler. I also found eBay is the best place for finding parts for this thing. I already ordered an air filter that has a sort of 90 degree turn so it isnt aimed right at the back wheel anymore. I also ordered a headlight to mount on it, and I was curious about hooking it up. Im sure I can find out how to on Google, the main thing I'm wondering is would I need to install a battery for a headlight? It has a mounting bracket on the front forks for a headlight. And then just a few small things, some nuts and bolts that were missing, stuff like that.
I also painted it to make it more my style.
Check her out now.
http://i.imgur.com/Lqr1qyK.jpg
http://imgur.com/Lqr1qyK,zVX8BUg#1

I just used some flat black spray paint that was adhesive to plastic so it sticks really good.
I also tightened up the spokes it stopped a lot of the wobble but I noticed the rim iS slightly bent, so I'm gonna need a new rim.
I would also like to buy tires, now on my back tire (its almost bald) itsyas 2.50x12, is that the size? I really appreciate all your help and input in my threads man.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:56 AM   #10

You can also fashion a guard to protect the air filter, by attaching a piece of plastic to the frame with zip ties. The idea is to keep the air filter out of the spray zone of the rear tire. I like the 90 degree turn idea, and I'm looking forward to seeing it.

I would abandon the headlight idea, since the coil is not likely to be able to power it, or charge a battery. Wait for you next bike on that.

That seat looks awesome! Did you recover it yourself? I'm sorry to report that the flat black tank will not last, because gasoline vapours will pass through the tank and peel the paint. Better to buy a tank in a colour you like.

You'll likely find a replacement rim on eBay; hopefully it will be in better shape.

Yes, that's the tire size. Try eBay, www.rockymountainatvmc.com or www.bikebandit.com

Old 04-01-2015, 11:57 AM   #11

Also, I love your avatar!

Old 04-01-2015, 02:52 PM   #12

Quote:
You can also fashion a guard to protect the air filter, by attaching a piece of plastic to the frame with zip ties. The idea is to keep the air filter out of the spray zone of the rear tire. I like the 90 degree turn idea, and I'm looking forward to seeing it.

I would abandon the headlight idea, since the coil is not likely to be able to power it, or charge a battery. Wait for you next bike on that.

That seat looks awesome! Did you recover it yourself? I'm sorry to report that the flat black tank will not last, because gasoline vapours will pass through the tank and peel the paint. Better to buy a tank in a colour you like.

You'll likely find a replacement rim on eBay; hopefully it will be in better shape.

Yes, that's the tire size. Try eBay, www.rockymountainatvmc.com or www.bikebandit.com
The air filter I am thinking of getting is either this one Long 90 Degree or this one Short 90 Degree
My fiance actually did the seat for me xD
And I know exactly what you mean about the gas tank and painting it problems, I woke up this morning and it was already running in some spots, so I just sprayed it down with WD40 and got ll the paint off. Im just going to order some new plastics, they arent that expensive, I have found fulll sets for under $100.
Thanks for the tip on the headlight too, I didnt really need it anyhow I rarely ride it at night for now, I just noticed it looked like there had been one at some point. Other than that shes running good, Im looking at exhausts and rims today.
I am also trying to find the back brake linkage.
The brakes work great, I twisted the little nob on the back brakes and the bike wouldn't move, and I have my back brake pedal, but the complete linkage system is gone.
I've tried eBay and some other places, but just cant seem to find one.
Would a PW80 brake linkage work for it?
If not, would you have any thoughts of a bike that would work for mine?
And thanks, its one I use on a lot of forums I go to, I always thought it was wacky and represented me well haha. Have a great day man!

Old 04-02-2015, 10:51 AM   #13

Will this work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM-...item27e9d95178

Old 04-02-2015, 12:08 PM   #14

Quote:
It looks different from that one,
what I am needing in the brake linkage, rod and leverl.
It looks sort of like this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150980199930
The bike has a little nub on the rear brake casing that when turned it stops the wheel. Right now I have just been down shifting and using the handbrake, but its a bit sketchy.

I also noticed today my gas tank was sitting on my EXHAUST! It had actaully started to melt through the gas tank, I will take some pics to show you. I just gotta figure out a way to get some space between them.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:23 AM   #15

I'm betting that the brake rod link I shared is the right one, and then we need to find a new lever for the drum and a new foot lever; is that right?

The best way to deal with that exhaust is to throw it in the scrap bin. The exhaust link I shared will be a better fit, IMHO.