Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2015, 07:12 PM   #31

This looks like a pretty good thread that should get you going. But to be honest this should be extremely simple. You need to jump the output power wire from your stator to a regulator/rectifier and then the output power wire from the regulator/rectifier to an led headlamp. Ground the headlamp to the frame. That should be it unless I am missing something confusingly simple.

http://atvconnection.com/forums/1-en...ing-setup.html

/

Old 08-16-2015, 04:24 PM   #32

This thread is about doing a headlight install on this model of GIO...Ironically enough it was this thread that led me to this site in the first place..If im understanding things correctly from reading that..There is a chance that i could use a headlight from an older model motorcycle that uses a 6 volt headlight like my Yamaha DT250.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=8045
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 08-16-2015, 05:07 PM   #33

Are you 100% positive your system is 6v and not 12v?

/

Old 08-16-2015, 05:27 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
Are you 100% positive your system is 6v and not 12v?

/

Im only going by what the guy in the linked thread found on the exact same model of bike. After installing the pit bike headlight kit he found it was only putting out 6V.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 08-16-2015, 05:49 PM   #35

I read it as his was putting out low voltage because it was failing and he needed a new one.

If you have a 5 or 6 wire stator you should be good to go. You just need to get a regulator and I would go with an led light.

http://www.pitbikeclub.co.uk/showthread.php?t=19804

/

Old 08-19-2015, 01:18 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
I read it as his was putting out low voltage because it was failing and he needed a new one.

If you have a 5 or 6 wire stator you should be good to go. You just need to get a regulator and I would go with an led light.

http://www.pitbikeclub.co.uk/showthread.php?t=19804

/
To Quote the op of that thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit121 View Post
There are 6 wires coming out, 5 of which were going into a 6 wire plug with one empty slot. Black with red (cdi power?), Blue with white(Ignition?), Green (cdi ground?), and 2 yellow wires that arent being used. the one loose wire is a green with red.

I will def need to take a look at my bike to ensure that mine is the same which it should be considering it is the same model...but who knows if that changed from year to year on these bikes. But lets just say for the moment that if it is the same...according to the OP of that thread i should be seeing around 25 Volts AC directly off of those yellow wires...Which now makes me consider the fact that the Rectifierr he used may have been far too restrictive since it goes down to around 6-7 volts with the Rectifier installed...

Ironically enough the same link you posted was posted in that thread as well...I may just reread it a couple times so i understand it properly and go from there.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 08-19-2015, 01:33 PM   #37

Hmmm ok! I found this link which kind of explains the same basic process as the one you posted Adjuster but for some reason i found it far easier to understand....Basically it uses a 100 W H3 light wired straight off of one of the yellow wires...Not both..just one of them...Which makes sense...i may give this method a try to see where i get with it...it also looks like he eventually also fitted a rectifier to actualy build a charging system using a small battery...hmmm may be able to make something like an SLA battery for an emergency back up light work for that....Now i wont be able to have turn signals or anything..might be able to make some sort of stop/tail light work especially after the Rectifier is in place....

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/100...t-on-pit-bike/

Edit: Found this link that makes it quite easy to understand how to have an actual battery in the system to charge up to run lights....now that i understand this part i think i now understand how to add a brake light to the bike...brake light switches are basic..they have power going to one side and output on the other side...the power imput can be pulled directly from the battery....and im sure i can wire the tail light part of things to the headlight switch so when i flick the switch it turns on the headlight and tail light at the same time....at least in theory...

http://www.miniriders.com/electrical...150-160-a.html

I will get this sorted out yet! I may not be able to ride it on the street but this will at least allow me to keep on riding at night!
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 09-08-2015, 05:18 AM   #38

Well it looks like this project will be coming to an end soon. I was presented with an interesting trade offer yesterday and after some discussion with my Fiancee who i had gotten this bike for in the first place i will be taking the trade. Ironically enough part of the trade includes another china machine. But i was offered the following for this bike:

a Baja Motorsports Wilderness Trail 250 atv(the aforementioned china machine), Not sure what year it is yet
and a Polaris Magnum 425cc 4x4 atv
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 09-09-2015, 12:44 AM   #39

I'm looking forward to pics of your new machines.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-09-2015, 03:10 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I'm looking forward to pics of your new machines.
I will def try to get some when i go out to my buddys place later today to pay the remaining balance on the truck im buying from him. I will see if i can find the Vin numbers on both as well to figure out what year they are.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote: