Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2016, 09:16 PM   #166

[QUOTE=pete;234754]If the pick up is on the flywheel it fires every time the piston is at TDC
if the pick up is on the cam it fires every second time...
most bikes infact just about all these days fire a spark every stroke
there is no issue at all with it...
both my Yamaha's & the Honda run a waist spark system...

4 cyclider motors only have 2 coils with 2 leads of each coil..
one coil to 1 & 4 cyclinders.. the other to 2 & 3 cyclinders
so one plug is fireing on the exhaust stroke..
never been a issue in the 50 odd years or more they have been doing it...Quote

2016 - 50 1966? The 1960's BSA twins were running waste spark, so that part is right. But they were re-building engines left and right because of overheated pistons. They changed midway in the model year to spark every other stroke, and the problems went away. Harley-Davidson ran waste spark on their engines from at least the 1930's on with no trouble.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:20 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
On most of these CG clone engines the spark advance at idle is 15 degrees and tops out at 35 degrees at 3500 RPM.
OK, the question is does it gradually increase between idle and 3500, or is it at 15 degrees, and then just jumps to 35 degrees.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:56 PM   #168

[QUOTE=Ariel Red Hunter;234764]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
If the pick up is on the flywheel it fires every time the piston is at TDC
if the pick up is on the cam it fires every second time...
most bikes infact just about all these days fire a spark every stroke
there is no issue at all with it...
both my Yamaha's & the Honda run a waist spark system...

4 cyclider motors only have 2 coils with 2 leads of each coil..
one coil to 1 & 4 cyclinders.. the other to 2 & 3 cyclinders
so one plug is fireing on the exhaust stroke..
never been a issue in the 50 odd years or more they have been doing it...Quote

2016 - 50 1966? The 1960's BSA twins were running waste spark, so that part is right. But they were re-building engines left and right because of overheated pistons. They changed midway in the model year to spark every other stroke, and the problems went away. Harley-Davidson ran waste spark on their engines from at least the 1930's on with no trouble.
you do realise the year is 2016 .... don't yer... with all these new metals & alloys now...aswell as all the new casting /forging processes...

As far as BSA goes...Sounds like they need the japs to make there pistons as they got it RIGHT from the start.... diddn't need decades to fumble around... and were able to make use of the tecnolagy of the day unlike the british companys.. who just let the motorcycle devalopment stagnate till the Japs breathed new life into it...
By that time there days were numbered.... copying the kawasaki GPZ900 was the only thing that saved Triumph... a big gamble that payed off for them...

Another little snipit for yer.... The LAST BSA's sold was the BSA Bushman.... was infact a
Yamaha AG100 farm bike only sold in 3rd countrys...
The mighty BSA were forced to go cap in hand to the Japs in there last days.

Google it..... The truth is out there...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Last edited by pete; 10-29-2016 at 10:30 PM.

Old 10-30-2016, 12:32 PM   #169

[QUOTE=pete;234767]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post

you do realise the year is 2016 .... don't yer... with all these new metals & alloys now...aswell as all the new casting /forging processes...

As far as BSA goes...Sounds like they need the japs to make there pistons as they got it RIGHT from the start.... diddn't need decades to fumble around... and were able to make use of the tecnolagy of the day unlike the british companys.. who just let the motorcycle devalopment stagnate till the Japs breathed new life into it...
By that time there days were numbered.... copying the kawasaki GPZ900 was the only thing that saved Triumph... a big gamble that payed off for them...

Another little snipit for yer.... The LAST BSA's sold was the BSA Bushman.... was infact a
Yamaha AG100 farm bike only sold in 3rd countrys...
The mighty BSA were forced to go cap in hand to the Japs in there last days.

Google it..... The truth is out there...

I have heard rumors that, in fact, we have reached the year 2016.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:35 PM   #170

lack of attention

Yes, sports fans. I must plead guilty to my lack of attention to this column. One of the most important events in the known world is occuring right now. Yes! The Wold Series! It is important to me because my team has not won the World Series in 108 years. And their opponents have not won one since 1948! This is big doings, folks. So please excuse me for being distracted at this time this year.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:14 PM   #171

Quote:
Yes, sports fans. I must plead guilty to my lack of attention to this column. One of the most important events in the known world is occuring right now. Yes! The Wold Series! It is important to me because my team has not won the World Series in 108 years. And their opponents have not won one since 1948! This is big doings, folks. So please excuse me for being distracted at this time this year.
I want to watch ... but it's baseball so....

Especially great since the Cubs are in. Watching now Cubs up 7

Don't really have a dog in the hunt and was busy watching Dallas Cowboys beat Philly last Sunday night. How bout them 6-1 cowboys! (dak prescott "Mississippi State" boy!)
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 11-01-2016, 10:11 PM   #172

Baseball.... yawn

Football - Formerly cool but since they stopped respecting the national anthem I stopped watching that too.

ALMS racing (Now weathertech IMSA) Awesome sport. I can watch that all the time.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:56 PM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolclass View Post
Baseball.... yawn

Football - Formerly cool but since they stopped respecting the national anthem I stopped watching that too.

ALMS racing (Now weathertech IMSA) Awesome sport. I can watch that all the time.
Harsh, pistolclass. Harsh!

Old 11-02-2016, 01:06 AM   #174

Quote:
Yes, sports fans. I must plead guilty to my lack of attention to this column. One of the most important events in the known world is occuring right now. Yes! The Wold Series! It is important to me because my team has not won the World Series
The World series ?
So how meany counteys are playing in this WORLD series...
But I have heard of a single country club series being played lately....

better leave it there....

I myself are a rugby fan....( a New Zealender thats a rugby fan.... who would have thought..)
we are back to back world champs "real world champs" our national team hasn't been beaten for 18 matchs straight..these are all matchs against other countrys national teams..
we have won more rugby world titals than any other country...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 11-02-2016, 07:05 AM   #175

Quote:
Harsh, pistolclass. Harsh!
he isnt the only one, i havent watched a ball game in 3 years. some of the players dont respect this country, its laws, values. they dont deserve to be a roll model for our kids. and personally I have zero respect for them or the game..

In todays world sports seem so trivial, and act like a distraction for what is really going on.

mainstream sports are being ruined and in a hurry, i get more enjoyment watching the local kids play street hockey on the tennis courts in the playground.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:16 AM   #176

When my family goes to a IMSA race most drivers invite my year 5 old son to sit in the car. Awesome bunch of professional. Last time we were at the track Jan Magnusson gave my son his hat. Try that with an NFL or MLB player today. 30 years ago maybe... today never.

Last edited by pistolclass; 11-02-2016 at 10:59 AM. Reason: typos everywhere.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:32 AM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwildman View Post
mainstream sports are being ruined and in a hurry, i get more enjoyment watching the local kids play street hockey on the tennis courts in the playground.
Being ruined? Ha, most of them are already crap. Google how many convicted felons are still playing in the NFL! How is that even allowed?? I know, I know, it's all about the $$$.$$!! And don't even get me started with the anthem crap...

That said, we live in Nashville area and my son did ice hockey for a while, he used to play at the rink the Predators trained at and what a good group of guys and franchise. It seemed like there was always a Pred or two around, the mascot used to show up to the rink every now and then and goof around with the kids and they had all sorts of Predator sponsored things going on. His high point was when the team got to skate out in the stadium, all suited up, between periods and take a couple shots on the goal.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:25 AM   #178

Quote:
The World series ?
But I have heard of a single country club series being played lately....

better leave it there....

I myself are a rugby fan....( a New Zealender thats a rugby fan.... who would have thought..)
we are back to back world champs "real world champs" our national team hasn't been beaten for 18 matchs straight..these are all matchs against other countrys national teams..
we have won more rugby world titals than any other country...

Counties? I don't know. I think Cleveland is in Tuskarora County, Ohio. And Chicago is in Cook County, Illinois. The name has been shortened in the press. It is actually The Baseball World Series. There are players from a bunch of countries who play in the World Series. A bunch from the United States, some from Canada, quite a few from Cuba, Mexico, the Dominican Republic, Japan and Korea.

Old 11-03-2016, 01:47 AM   #179

Quote:
The World series ?
Since the Canadian team lost to a US team, this series only had two US teams this year, but occasionally, there are Canadians in it.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 11-09-2016, 03:52 PM   #180

youtube video

O.K., the World Series is over, and yes, the sun did come up the next morning. And Hell didn't freeze over, or so I have been informed. So, back to business. There is a very interesting series of videos on building a trials bike on youtube. Even if you are not interested in trials bikes, there is much to learn in this series of videos. How to and why one should bronze weld. HOW TO LACE-UP WHEELS THE EASY WAY! That one is worth a lot to some of you guys, me included. How to build a trials muffler (silencer). And all kinds of other arcane stuff. The site is Britannia Motorcycles, and the thread I found so interesting is building the BM 250 Trials Bike. He doesn't just tell you how to do this stuff, he shows you. Good thing, because he talks like he has marbles in his mouth, and his accent - well, he claims to be from Birmingham, but he doesn't mean Alabama.