Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2016, 05:01 PM   #1

Safety of the 212cc motorbike kits?

How safe are those 212cc kits that you can mount on a bike? I a have been thinking about getting a cheapie mountain bike with rear suspension. Brace the hell out of it, then go put dirt bike parts on it.... (Triple tree, real breaks, rims, tires, etc, etc) I don't see me being able to get a hawk (or any bike) anytime soon. (As in the next year) So if anyone can state how well those things can hold up with time, or has anyone made one of these kits?

Sincerely,
John Doe

"All forms of madness, bizarre habits, awkwardness in society, general clumsiness, are justified in the person who creates good art." -Roman Payne

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." -Mark Twain

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: Oh Lord, make my enemies ridiculous. And God granted it."
-(Letter to Étienne Noël Damilaville, May 16, 1767)

Old 07-11-2016, 06:21 PM   #2

I have seen a lot of 80cc bicycle motors but never 212cc??? Do you have a link?

/

Old 07-11-2016, 06:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe2887 View Post
How safe are those 212cc kits that you can mount on a bike? I a have been thinking about getting a cheapie mountain bike with rear suspension. Brace the hell out of it, then go put dirt bike parts on it.... (Triple tree, real breaks, rims, tires, etc, etc) I don't see me being able to get a hawk (or any bike) anytime soon. (As in the next year) So if anyone can state how well those things can hold up with time, or has anyone made one of these kits?

Sincerely,
John Doe
The 212 is a honda clone. Ive made a 200cc motorized bike but I did the job from scratch. If you do a good job there safe. I would go with thick spokes and double wall rims. Keep a close eye on all the bolts and spoke tightness. I wouldn't use an aluminum frame. Ive been trying to buy a real motorcycle cus Iam tired of playing with these. Ive made 4.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
The 212 is a honda clone. Ive made a 200cc motorized bike but I did the job from scratch. If you do a good job there safe. I would go with thick spokes and double wall rims. Keep a close eye on all the bolts and spoke tightness. I wouldn't use an aluminum frame. Ive been trying to buy a real motorcycle cus Iam tired of playing with these. Ive made 4.
May I ask why? Not really road worthy, or you looking for something more or what? I would think that would be as quick as a dual sport with a engine that big.... What typically fails first on these bikes? Have you seen any with a transmission? Could you get it registered as a motorbike or moped?

"All forms of madness, bizarre habits, awkwardness in society, general clumsiness, are justified in the person who creates good art." -Roman Payne

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." -Mark Twain

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: Oh Lord, make my enemies ridiculous. And God granted it."

Old 07-11-2016, 09:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
I have seen a lot of 80cc bicycle motors but never 212cc??? Do you have a link?

/
Here you go!

Sorry for late reply I didn't see your post

Old 07-11-2016, 10:07 PM   #6

Pretty cool.

Thanks for the link.

/

Old 07-11-2016, 10:45 PM   #7

Quote:
May I ask why? Not really road worthy, or you looking for something more or what? I would think that would be as quick as a dual sport with a engine that big.... What typically fails first on these bikes? Have you seen any with a transmission? Could you get it registered as a motorbike or moped?
The 200cc has a CVT tyranny. I built a 97cc four stroke flat head side valve using a heavy duty derailleur with a cartridge that has an overdrive and a granny gear its 7 speeds. The main problem is that bicycles wheels are not speed rated. They tend to fall apart at the speeds I ride. I have custom made double wall wheels that are doing fine so far.(cost a bundle) Getting the electrics working is tricky you have to setup some way to power it all. And there is no buddy seat. It costs more to build one then it costs to buy a china bike if you can find a china bike to buy that is. At least you wont get ripped off multiple time trying to buy a motorcycle like I have been. Just know the cost can add up very fast. Getting it reged is super tricky but Ive heard of people doing it.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:42 AM   #8

Quote:
The 200cc has a CVT tyranny. I built a 97cc four stroke flat head side valve using a heavy duty derailleur with a cartridge that has an overdrive and a granny gear its 7 speeds. The main problem is that bicycles wheels are not speed rated. They tend to fall apart at the speeds I ride. I have custom made double wall wheels that are doing fine so far.(cost a bundle) Getting the electrics working is tricky you have to setup some way to power it all. And there is no buddy seat. It costs more to build one then it costs to buy a china bike if you can find a china bike to buy that is. At least you wont get ripped off multiple time trying to buy a motorcycle like I have been. Just know the cost can add up very fast. Getting it reged is super tricky but Ive heard of people doing it.
Okay thanks for your reply I have to rethink that now

Ps you may have saved me a bunch of money!

Old 07-12-2016, 01:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Okay thanks for your reply I have to rethink that now

Ps you may have saved me a bunch of money!
The only reason to build one of these is for the fun of it. You dont really save any money. Ive got well over $2000 into my 200cc bike. Its fun but I would have been better off with a china bike.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:36 AM   #10

Quote:
The only reason to build one of these is for the fun of it. You dont really save any money. Ive got well over $2000 into my 200cc bike. Its fun but I would have been better off with a china bike.
Yeah I have also however thought about ditching the kit all together and picking my own parts, parts that I couldn't just put on a hawk....

Old 07-12-2016, 01:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Yeah I have also however thought about ditching the kit all together and picking my own parts, parts that I couldn't just put on a hawk....
Ya I dont do kits. I design all my bikes my self. If your thinking about fabing one of these start thinking about jack shafts and gear ratios.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Ya I dont do kits. I design all my bikes my self. If your thinking about fabing one of these start thinking about jack shafts and gear ratios.
Okay good to know what gear ratios do you use? Also how far do you think a 18 HP will go? I wouldn't think that it would be to far from the hawk with a engine like that I think that is also has a tranny.... Water cooled :P I don't know how hard it would be to add a radiator.... Or any of the other goods that would come with water cooling....

http://www.pccmotor.com/4st25zoohcwa.html

Old 07-12-2016, 02:46 PM   #13

Years ago I build 5 of the 80cc (actually 66cc) engine kit bikes. They worked OK but I don't consider them safe. Bicycles are not made to go that fast. Three of my friends crashed, one seriously injured. Switched to reviving old Honda Cub type bikes, mostly Trail 90s, with new Lifan engines. Much safer.

Old 07-12-2016, 03:23 PM   #14

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Okay good to know what gear ratios do you use? Also how far do you think a 18 HP will go? I wouldn't think that it would be to far from the hawk with a engine like that I think that is also has a tranny.... Water cooled :P I don't know how hard it would be to add a radiator.... Or any of the other goods that would come with water cooling....

http://www.pccmotor.com/4st25zoohcwa.html
Put that engine on a bike and you could do over 100 mph. I wouldn't recommend it. ( the speed not the engine ). The gear ratio is dependent what you want to do with it. I gear mine with 50 mph cruse speed and lots of low end. I would have to check it out to find the ratio I chose. I will look for the link for the gear ratio program I use. It works great. If you can weld or braze you will have no problem adding a radiator. Start with a strong frame and strong wheels and you will be fine.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Put that engine on a bike and you could do over 100 mph. I wouldn't recommend it. ( the speed not the engine ). The gear ratio is dependent what you want to do with it. I gear mine with 50 mph cruse speed and lots of low end. I would have to check it out to find the ratio I chose. I will look for the link for the gear ratio program I use. It works great. If you can weld or braze you will have no problem adding a radiator. Start with a strong frame and strong wheels and you will be fine.
What is the best frame to start with? I want something like a mountain bike frame (or a soft tail beach cruiser would be okay.) to start with what is a cost effective brand for this purpose or will someone just sell me a frame? Also about the speed, would a upgraded tires rims and bearings make it safer or is the light whight it's self the issue?