Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2018, 06:09 PM   #1

Turbo on the hawk 250?

So before I go too far deep into the rabbit hole I have a few questions.

First: is there any benefit on adding a small turbo on a small engine?
Second: I have the aftermarket oil cooler already installed on my hawk, can I tap into that to cool my turbo?
Lastly: is it more beneficial to make it a blow through or suck carb?

Thanks to everyone who responds. I kind of want to try this over the winter. I am graduating in December and I will have a lot of free time and extra cash from graduation gifts.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:46 PM   #2

A efi tunable bike would be 100x better to start with if its a have to have thing.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:14 PM   #3

I would love to try this but that kinda project is out of my comfort zone. I’d rather do an engine swap then trying to convert this one from carb to EFI.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:18 PM   #4

yes turbos will definitely increase engine performance on a small engine. You're essentially increasing the displacement of the hawk, which would drastically increase performance, even if you were to do a moderate blow through.

The stock hawk has a pretty low compression ratio already, supposedly 9:1, however I have a large suspect that it is actually even lower. the tt250(which is the same engine) has a compression ratio of 8.7:1, while at the same time having a thinner head gasket. so i think the hawk has an even lower ratio than that.

You would need to buy the world's smallest turbo, the RHB31. this website sells clones of it for not too expensive of a price. http://www.ecotrons.com/products/sma..._turbocharger/

You can turbo a carburetor, and there are tuning ways to do so, however it's likely you'll run into fuel issues, as it needs different amounts of fuel depending on how fast the turbo is spinning. Id definitely go fuel injection, they have a lot, although it is expensive, it'll probably save ypu from blowing up an engine

But to be fair, one large issue you may run into is cooling. turbos produce alot of heat, and an intercooler of some kind may be necessary to keep combustion temperatures down. Id definitely run as rich as you can, especially at WOT.

I've thought alot about doing a turbo on my hawk. i decided a supercharger would be better for an off-road purpose bike(less intense power bands generally, don't have to get it spooled up), but the biggest thing stopping me is the price.

If you were set on doing carbs and turbo, I say blow through for better throttle response

Old 09-25-2018, 07:21 PM   #5

a turbo on this air cooled engine would probably put it right on the edge of blowing up the engine, or putting a hole in the piston tbh. it's a price to go fast. EFI will help, by ensuring you never run rich.

But I'd install an electronic fuel shutoff valve, aswell as an oil temperature gauge, both for safety reasons.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:53 PM   #6

I always thought it would be cool. I have seen several vids in the past of guys with pit bikes who turbo them.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundhouse View Post
I always thought it would be cool. I have seen several vids in the past of guys with pit bikes who turbo them.
Honestly what made me want to do it was this barbie gokart that had a turbo. It's an awesome video

Old 09-26-2018, 05:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanoknight View Post
So before I go too far deep into the rabbit hole I have a few questions.

First: is there any benefit on adding a small turbo on a small engine?
Second: I have the aftermarket oil cooler already installed on my hawk, can I tap into that to cool my turbo?
Lastly: is it more beneficial to make it a blow through or suck carb?

Thanks to everyone who responds. I kind of want to try this over the winter. I am graduating in December and I will have a lot of free time and extra cash from graduation gifts.

you can't blow though with the carb...hows the fuel going to come up from the main jet when pressure is
going down into the fuel blow blowing the fuel out the over flow all over the motor.. could also make
a kool bubbly sound in the tank...

can build a presurised box around the carb.... still have the kool bubbly sound... i quess you will need a fuel pump...

you use the oil to lube the turbo bearing not cool it...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 09-26-2018, 06:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
you can't blow though with the carb...hows the fuel going to come up from the main jet when pressure is
going down into the fuel blow blowing the fuel out the over flow all over the motor.. could also make
a kool bubbly sound in the tank...

can build a presurised box around the carb.... still have the kool bubbly sound... i quess you will need a fuel pump...

you use the oil to lube the turbo bearing not cool it...

Pete, you can infact do a blowthru carb. Requires careful orifacing of the vent of the carb into the intake tract (so the fuel bowl is also under pressure, slightly higher than the intake charge)

But it can be done....LOL

Old 09-26-2018, 09:05 AM   #10

As bogieboy stated it can be done with a carb but I wouldn't recommend it. Very tricky tuning. To easy to have it run lean and then Boom! If you are going to do a turbo , EFI is the way to go. You have to be able to control fuel mixture under boost. I've had plenty of experience in tuning with turbos on car engines. The thought has crossed my mind on doing it with the Hawk but the cost killed that idea quick. If i'm going to sink that kind of money on a complete turbo system it won't be on a 250cc engine.

I'll sit back and grab a bag of popcorn and watch this one.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 10-05-2018, 10:35 AM   #11

i encourage you to do this though, I'd really love to see it.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashka View Post
i decided a supercharger would be better for an off-road purpose bike(less intense power bands generally, don't have to get it spooled up), but the biggest thing stopping me is the price.
A smog pump can be used for a small engine blower; check it out on Youtube. The issue on a bike is figuring out how to spin it. You could machine a hole in the left side cover and figure out how to adapt a pulley to the end of the crank, but it would be cumbersome. The good news is that smog pumps are cheap.

Here's a fun vid of a smog pump installed on a scooter:

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-05-2018, 03:55 PM   #13

I would like to see if that actually worked. I wonder how many CFM a smog pump can push?

Old 10-08-2018, 07:11 PM   #14

I am in favor of superchargers over turbos.... I have had several cars with superchargers and lowered the pullies to make them faster... my wife has blown several Turbos in the past... but never a supercharger... Now.. Fitting this on a bike... hmmmmm I would need to think hard about this one... but trust me.. it can be done... but you need a shaft to spin the pully... you would need to take the crank to a machinist... a good one... and have him fabricate a shaft on the end of it.. and need to make a hole through the crankcase... and go from there...... a lot of trial and error...

I am sure that a motorcycle speed shop will have a good idea if they haven't already done it....
2004 Isuzu Rodeo
1998 Kia Sportage 4x4
2004 Toyota Tundra
2016 Ford Escape

Guitars

1970 Gibson SG mint Condition
2005 Epiphone white Custom SG Les Paul L/New
Fender Banjo New Condition
BC Rich Bitch - Like New\
3 Jay Turser SG Good Condition

Amps

Marshall vs100 Good Condition